collapse collapse

* User Info

 
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 85
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Info about Min?  (Read 11119 times)

Offline Sobeqsenu

  • Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
  • Country: us
Re: Info about Min?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 11:16:51 am »
I think it's also really important to remember that when it comes to citing sources, saying "in my personal experiences, Min seems to be..." is perfectly valid, because you are establishing where the information is coming from. It isn't an issue of personal knowledge being worth less than something written in a book, but an issue of wanting to know exactly what is being looked at. As Khesret said, many people on this forum have a highly scholarly approach - I'm not the most scholarly Shemsu, but I respect that they're out there and try to be extremely clear with where I've gotten my sources. Even if I read something somewhere, and can't remember the source - I do say where I got the information from, using language like "I seem to remember having read x somewhere, but don't remember where."

I do think the links about Min are interesting, but do wish they included where they got their information. The biggest draw for citing sources is so that people can access the information used to create the article on their own, for their own research.

I did see in a book I was browsing in Barnes and Noble mention of a syncretic Min-Heru, in the section written by Jan Assman, but wasn't really paying much attention to what was being said, since I wasn't really reading but just leafing through out of curiosity. :) Not sure if that will lead anywhere.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline ubenetsenu

  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
  • Country: us
Re: Info about Min?
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:14 pm »
Quote from: Sobeqsenu
It isn't an issue of personal knowledge being worth less than something written in a book, but an issue of wanting to know exactly what is being looked at.


exactly.  i read a lot of urban fantasy, and i also read a lot of scientific texts.  i love them both, but if i pick up a book at random, i don't want it to be "molecular cell biology" in "magic bites"'s cover or vice versa.  
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Iaityinepu

  • Shemsu
  • Country: au
Re: Info about Min?
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 07:17:51 pm »
Quote from: Sobeqsenu
I think it's also really important to remember that when it comes to citing sources, saying "in my personal experiences, Min seems to be..." is perfectly valid, because you are establishing where the information is coming from. It isn't an issue of personal knowledge being worth less than something written in a book, but an issue of wanting to know exactly what is being looked at. As Khesret said, many people on this forum have a highly scholarly approach - I'm not the most scholarly Shemsu, but I respect that they're out there and try to be extremely clear with where I've gotten my sources. Even if I read something somewhere, and can't remember the source - I do say where I got the information from, using language like "I seem to remember having read x somewhere, but don't remember where."
Senebty,
Sobeq


That's exactly right.  When I read information on a topic, I like to know where it is from so I can make my own informed decision on the level of accuracy for my purposes.  I can only do this when the sourcing, whether it from a book or personal experience or 3rd party hearsay, when it is given to me.  Whilst I believe personal experience is equally valid as book sources (in some cases), someone telling me that 'Yinepu does x' but not telling me that it's their personal experience might be interpreted as Ancient Practice, when in fact it is a modern practice of Yinepu.  

Also, saying "I got it from this book I have here" but not saying what the book is, I am going to assume it's one of the outdated/bias models, unless I've already heard/found the information previously given, or the source is then given for me to look into myself.
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Re: Info about Min?
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 08:50:12 pm »
Quote from: Maretemheqat
The main problem with citing webpages? They're not peer-reviewed (Wikipedia is a good example of this, even though it does have citations), they're often backed by advertising (which can be a good indicator of bias) and any joe with an internet connection can post their opinion without peer-review.

The importance of this is PEER REVIEW. In scholarly circles, peer-review is the single most important factor when it comes to publishing anything; from thesis to articles. The point of peer review is to have others in the field read your work to see if they can basically poke holes in your argument, and how well you can defend them. It's not about "being nice", it's about providing the best possible information and understanding of that information.


True, this.

Though from what I've heard about Egyptology, Archaeology and Anthropology in general, there's a lot of bickering and fighting over what and who is right.  Sometimes I think that's what it's all about. ;P

But yeah, I agree, and understand about peer reviews and citing sources.

I agree and agree about keeping both separate; just brought up the subject of 'faith' and 'fact' because - well, it's the truth right?

Quote from: Sobeqsenu
I did see in a book I was browsing in Barnes and Noble mention of a syncretic Min-Heru, in the section written by Jan Assman, but wasn't really paying much attention to what was being said, since I wasn't really reading but just leafing through out of curiosity. :) Not sure if that will lead anywhere.


Well,  Jan Assman is a good source of information.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:51:04 pm by Seta »
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Maretemheqat

  • Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
  • Country: ca
Re: Info about Min?
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 11:10:45 pm »
Quote from: Seta

True, this.

Though from what I've heard about Egyptology, Archaeology and Anthropology in general, there's a lot of bickering and fighting over what and who is right.  Sometimes I think that's what it's all about. ;P

But yeah, I agree, and understand about peer reviews and citing sources.

I agree and agree about keeping both separate; just brought up the subject of 'faith' and 'fact' because - well, it's the truth right?


I think alot of where Egyptology, Archaeology and Anthropology seems to be going is mostly towards who can come up with the best plausible answer> ;-)

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

 


* Board Stats

  • stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286250
  • stats Total Topics: 19411
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything