collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Becoming a beginner  (Read 1753 times)

Online Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
Becoming a beginner
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:09:45 pm »
Em hotep!

I read on the section about becoming a beginner that KO requires the consent of anyone you're living with in order to sign up. Is this the case?

The person I live with is a staunch Christian. She actually stole and threw away my copy of the prayerbook while I was hospitalized. There is no way that I can get her permission, and it's unlikely that I'll be able to move out any time soon.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Becoming a beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:12:45 pm »
I thought that you only needed to get permission from guardians if you were under the age of 18? Am I wrong in this? I live with other people, and I did not ask their permission to take the course (because I'm at least 18). Hopefully I am not wrong in saying this.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:15:29 pm »
Only if you are under age.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:45:39 pm »
Hotep, Astra,

Are you financially dependent on the person you live with or is she a relative? I believe the point of getting consent is that anyone who might be footing the bill for any additional reading material (or potentially the RPD), or will have to make other allowances for your participation (such as being okay with you skipping out on some other sort of activities to attend chats) has the option to say they aren't willing to support the beginner. I don't believe this is legally required consent, as is the case with minors, but rather a reflection of the Kemetic Orthodox respect for family in general and not wanting to be the subject of family altercations. (This is my understanding of the rules by the way, not an official proclamation of anything official.)

As for me, I did not get formal permission from my husband (I was was unemployed at the time I took the beginner's class, and also had to farm out a bit more of the child care while I attended chats), but I did discuss my applying to the beginner's class with him.

Senebty,
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Online Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:46:42 pm »
Ah, I am a minor until April, but will live under my mother until at least September. I probably misread the information on kemet.org, but as the site it down, I have no idea.

Thanks for the answers!

On a related note, is there a schedule of when beginner's classes will be?
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:07:33 pm »
Hotep!

Beginners' groups usually take place every three-four months. The current group will be finished in a couple of weeks, and application review is underway for the next group, scheduled to begin in February.

If you do an internet search for House of Netjer application you should come to a cached copy of that page so you could still send in an application while the website is still down.

By the way, parents and guardians are always welcome to contact us (if they wish to do so).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Sedjemes »
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2996
  • stats Total Posts: 288059
  • stats Total Topics: 19526
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217