collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 93
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Dragonflies?  (Read 3222 times)

Dragonflies?
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:40:07 am »
After finding out something which upset me severely today (technically yesterday, since it's 1AM now), I went to bed very early, since all the stress had drained me. I ended up speaking to Netjer as I waited for sleep - not anyone in particular, just anyone who'd happen to listen - about it.

To my surprise I felt a distinctly female presence reach out and shower me with love, and then I had the distinct impression of being cuddled and held. Something really bizarre, because I can't so much as stand it when someone stands too close, but this felt very comforting so I didn't mind. Set hovered close as well - he didn't seem to mind her at all. It really helped me relax feeling all that goodwill and love sent in my direction, so my stress levels plummeted.

I woke up a few hours later. They were gone, and the stress had zipped up again as soon as I remembered today's events, I began typing in my journal about what was bothering me and almost had a heart attack when something in the dim light flew near my face. I realised it was a dragonfly - which is very odd. I see dragonflies outside of this house every once in a blue moon - I'd say once a year or so - and I've lived in this house for sixteen years and never seen one in this room.

Maybe it was her checking in and reassuring me. If it's a coincidence - which it could be - it's a very odd one. So I thought I'd ask if anyone knew if dragonflies were associated with any female Names, whether through UPG or not. It's curious. I'm not even entirely sure if she is a Name or not.

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Dragonflies?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:16:28 am »
I'm fairly certain that there are no dragonflies native to Kemet, and no Name associated with them.  As for UPG, I'm honestly coming up blank.  It was probably coincidence, but as long as you got something out of it, it's still great.  :)
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:41:24 am »
actually, there are dragonflies in Kemet, mostly in the delta region (Lower Egypt).  A quick search found a list of over 20 species that have been found, with many more likely.  Unfortunately, not much has been done to research them in Egypt, so little is known about which species, where they are located, etc.

As for connections to a Name, Like Anket, I can't think of any.  You might check out Serqet, who has been equated to all creepy-crawly things.  Serqet is also, at least in modern time, associated with mental health, of which stress definately falls into.

I feel like I am forgetting something (maybe someone else will chime in).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Padjaiemweru »
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me

Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:43:23 am »
I'm feeling a push to mention that Netjer can and would, perhaps, "connect" you with other Gods, if you need them...
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:20:44 am »
Em-Hotep-Rhekh.

Iceworth: I am sensing Anuket. I cannot explain why with great detail, but this is a name that is coming to be when I think of your story. Anuket's name literally translate to 'embrace' and you said you felt a very powerful embrace... Also, you said that Set was comfortable with this other Netjeru/Netjeru't being in the room with him. Set (In my experience) is a rather jealuos Netjer, wanting all the attention for himself; and for me, he only likes it when Nebt-Het (Nephthys) is in the same room with him. Anuket and Nebt-Het were connected to each other in mythology through another Netjer't called Satis (Anuket's mother).

Senabty-Rh'ekh
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:22:26 am »
I might not even be a Kemetic deity. And for all we know, a Kemetic god decided that they would use what was at 'their disposal' nearby to connect with you.

I have a fondness for lady bugs. They are rare where I live, and when I see them, I get super happy. AFAIK, there is nothing related to Kemetic gods and lady bugs. However, that doesn't mean my gods wouldn't send a lady bug my way to make me feel better.

I personally would say that the next step is to thank whoever it is, and ask if they can come forward, so that you may learn who (or what) they are. And go from there.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »
Hotep!

While Serqet is equated with mental health and mental/spiritual healing, the dragonfly isn't really something She's known to use (scorpions and spiders on occasion but not insects).  ^_^  That doesn't mean that whoever was paying you a visit wouldn't use a dragonfly to "buzz" you and get your attention.  The comforting Goddess could be several of the Names (Serqet and HetHert both come to mind, and I have no doubt there are others that are known to be the comforting type when needed.  For example I have seen Sekhmet this way when She is in "healing" mode.)  .

Senebty,
Imti

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:09:36 pm »
FWIW, in Japanese culture the dragonfly (tonbo) is sometimes called the "kachimushi," or "victory bug" because of its combative nature. It's considered very lucky and, if I recall correctly, manly.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:30 pm »
It's curious Serqet was mentioned - I hadn't heard of her so I looked her up on the Kemet.org site, and saw a connection to Aset. I had the name Aset appear in my head but did not feel it was her. And it would make sense that a god of mental health would be around - I've been mentally ill for a while now.

Creepy crawlies also brings something to mind - my house lives right beside a protected park (Y'know, trees, wild birds and snakes, creeks, stuff like that - what we call "the bush" here, but a place you go hiking in), so we get about four or five huntsman spiders a year, usually in autumn, come to my house.

The year before last, I had seven visit me in the period of two weeks, getting progressively closer until I went to have a nap and there was a huge one two and a half feet away from my face. At that point I pretty much told whoever it was (since I had no interest in Kemetic Orthodoxy at the time, I just aimed the request at the universe) to please stop it, the spiders were freaking me out, and aside from another couple a month and a half later, it stopped there.

May have been a coincidence as well, but it's worth keeping in mind. I don't like to make a conclusion until I'm certain, anyway.

An other god would easily make sense, though it opens the field up to hundreds of deities, oh my! I shall most definitely thank her. She was beyond kind to me and I really appreciated her presence. Being new to interacting with gods in general, I may wait a while before I do more - I'm slightly out of my comfort zone even interacting with one right now. :)

Imsetra - Anuket, hmm, could be! It's all very vague at the moment. Though, even if it's not Anuket, Set may have been there because he doesn't like sharing - I didn't sense him nearby until she'd turned up, and when he did come it was intense enough I had a quick panic at the level of intensity it was, at which point he retreated a little and hovered nearby until I fell asleep.

Thank you everyone for your replies. :)

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »
Hotep Iceworth!  *henu*

If you're interested in more about Serqet feel free to let me know or PM me and I'll be happy to answer your questions.  As Serqet is an aspect of Aset, She can feel very similar but somehow different (more personal/less remote/royal if that makes sense) or completely different (depending on how much of the "scorpion" aspect of Her comes through).  Anywho, glad to hear that whoever it was left you with a positive experience, and that you're taking your time examining the situation and not rushing to make a conclusion.  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »
Quote from: Padjaiemweru
actually, there are dragonflies in Kemet, mostly in the delta region (Lower Egypt).  A quick search found a list of over 20 species that have been found, with many more likely.  Unfortunately, not much has been done to research them in Egypt, so little is known about which species, where they are located, etc.

This is really interesting to consider, thanks Padjai.

I have a strong connection with dragonflies, personally, and also had a very interesting experience with one when I was in Sweden a decade ago. Dragonflies are pretty amazing all on their own.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286250
  • stats Total Topics: 19411
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217