Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 62
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: protests in egypt...status of museums  (Read 15269 times)

protests in egypt...status of museums
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »
hello.....does anyone, Hemet or otherwise, know the status of the museum in Cairo and the other museums and ancient sites with the unrest and all?  don't mean to pass up any concern for the other news in egypt, but worried about the (ancient)history with police stations being raided by civilians and all.

sah
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:44:37 pm by Sahyinepu »
Some souls wear bodies like some people wear spandex: poorly.

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: protests in egypt...status of museums
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »
One of the buildings next to the museum is on fire.  There is worry that if it falls, it could catch the museum.  There has been looting, but both soldiers and protesters are working to safeguard it.  Hawass has reported that two mummies have been damaged (some reports said damaged, others said destroyed).  I have not seen anything mentioning the names of the Akhu who's mummies were damaged.  Artifacts have been damaged as well.  

This article seems to summarize fairly well... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gI4kUaROGgbfCOOvZG9zn_ZWLFeA?docId=5f7c8acaa02a4cff946512e8e96743c3
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:00:43 am »
What I read was that two mummies had their heads torn off, a case with small artifacts had been opened, and the two looters tried to steal them, and loot the gift shop, but were caught by civilian protesters and handed over to the army. The civilians were guarding the front entrance, but the looters got in on the roof. Now the army had a guard around the museum and Giza, but Dr. Hawass did express concern for the DNP building falling on the museum. That's just "wait and see."
I'm just glad to see that the protesters care for their history, even in rough times.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:01:47 am by Lunatic_Heathen »
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 07:20:46 am »
Like many other we have been watching this "revolution" unfold, but tho we'd heard of fires, no mention of what has happened to mummies or danger to the Museum.

We have been there (1980) and plan to go again (all being well) for a week or more - all to be spent at the new Museum.

Hemet has said most of it in the Egypt need a new government. However some of our commentators on mid-East politics have said that if they and Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen ultimately get democratic Governments - " it will clearly be good for their peoples, but may well bring in Governments who are not so sympathetic to Western ideals".Presumably this could imply less help for the USA toward a peace treaty between  the State of Israel  and the Palestinians unless Israel bends somewhat more toward a realistic accommodation.

I pray that Ma'at will bring peace in the whole region and that good sense and fairness will be exercised by all

Hehi
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:41 pm »
Em hotep!

I have been watching reports all morning. I have a links to some news etc. mostly from Aljazeera, which I heard the Egyptian government revoked their right to broadcast but they are working around it.   I do not know how current the links are. (Do we have any more information as to the full scale of the damage?)

Updates from the Cairo Museum via Aljazeera English

NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:23 pm »
Em Hotep!

None only the Egyptian Museum is in danger, other places as well
http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/egypts-tombs-temples-under-siege.html

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:05:15 pm »
I just recieved another link:

Looting in the Valley of the Kings
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:06:38 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

Offline PetriYinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 02:51:35 pm »
This destruction of our cultural history is breaking my heart. What can we do to change this situation?
I stand at the top of a tilted floor. Watchers and dreamsouls behind the door.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:15 pm »
thanks for the update niankh and others....this is not what is in the regular news.....absolutely tragic.

sah

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »
Here's another good link about what's going on in Egypt, from an archeological point of view. They are updating it regularly:

http://egyptology.blogspot.com/

and this one, too:

http://www.eloquentpeasant.com/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NeferuHethert »
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:04:49 pm »
Em hotep, everyone,

I've been watching CNN almost nonstop since the protests began.  One thing I have heard is that the thugs who vandalized the museum and are looting private homes and businesses are employed by Mubarak in order to make the Egyptian people think that only his iron fist can restore order again.  It is even said that Mubarak released criminals from jail and told them to go out and wreak havok for this purpose.  Many of the thugs rode motorcycles, which is suggestive of the rogue Basiji of Iran that the government uses to do their dirty work; they work off a hit-and-run method on motorcycles.  

Also, it was reported that some looters who were caught had police credentials on them, so I think some of these hooligans are policemen in civilian clothing who are out for revenge after being ousted from power by the protesters.  The police have long been hated in Egypt for their corruption and brutality.  And government jails and torture methods are widely known and feared.

I can't say that all of this is true beyond a shadow of a doubt, but I can say that most tyrants will do anything to stay in power.  And Mubarak is a tyrant.

I'm praying each day for Egypt's welfare and a peaceful transition to a moderate, secular government.

Senebty,
Senut
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senytmenu »
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:13 am »
Egypt needs a new government. I'm disgusted at the treatment of Egypt's ancient heritage. I pray for Egypt and hope it finds peace soon.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 05:27:41 am »
We all must pray for Egypt. Here stability is a real priority in keeping the Middle-East in balance right now. She needs a new government, and I pray if Obama is wise he will assist with the people's revolution. I am not saying he need send troops into Egypt, but rather political advice and support...

I pray that the revolution will be short lived and too the advantage of the people: all they want is peace; a better quality of life. If the Islamic extremists get their hands on Egypt we are facing a very devastating future: not just for Egypt, but for many countries: It could turn into the beginning of what might be known as WW3 in a generation.

My heart and prayer go towards Egypt every day. May Ma'at triumph!  
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 12:06:40 pm »
In the post Nianksekhmet made that has pics of the statues and cases in the cairo museum that was broken into....is it just me or are they breaking into cases and taking statue parts that have gold in them?  I hope these articles are not being melted down for their gold value.  awwwwwww

I too have heard for egyptians that they feel the crime is the egyptian presidents doing.  I hope democracy comes soon and that the us backs  the people of egypt so that a democratic government can be formed.

sah

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »
Em hotep!

Zahi Hawass stated in an interview with Al Jazeera over the weekend that he thought that most if not all of the articles damaged in the vandalism of the Museum could be restored.   He was far more concerned at that point about the fire of a nearby building that could have potentially threatened the entire collection.

That fire is out now, I am told. I am just hoping that things stay peaceful and all happens according to Ma'at.
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289000
  • stats Total Topics: 19607
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything