Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 61
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: protests in egypt...status of museums  (Read 15268 times)

Re: protests in egypt...status of museums
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »
Alright, the perpetual critic in me is taking over...

But, Sekhmet and the gods couldn't stop sexual harassment from happening on the streets of Cairo?

The gods couldn't stop murders from happening?  Or the fact that a dictator governed for 30 or so years?

They can step up to stop a thief though?  It just seems a very, very, very trifle affair compared to the other evils that have and are happening.

... I do not see this as protecting us. :(
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 09:59:44 am »
I don't think is would be a good defense but we can't just rely on divine intervention all the time to help us. A lot of times, we solve problems ourselves becoming stronger every time. An analogy would be like a baby trying to get up on his feet and walk without the help of his parents.

As we can see, people in Egypt and in neighboring nations had been sleeping for too long and now they're finally awake.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:00:24 am by SutekHuh »

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:36 am »
And just to mention a little about the other 'uprisings' in the neighboring nations around Egypt... Egypt was the only one so far that the protest were 'peaceful'... gunfire and bombings going on in other nations, against the protesters... this is just wrong. It just goes to show how thick-headed and power-hungry these dictators are... they are not going to let their people go... no, there not going to let their power go. I will be a martyr for my own country, for Islam ... Libyan Dictator.  
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »
Here is the latest posted today by Dr Hawass.

Friday, March 04, 2011
The status of Egyptian antiquities today
drhawass.com (Zahi Hawass)

A distressing list of problems, the most open official statement to date.

"When the revolution began on January 25, 2011, and through its first week, there were only a few reports of looting: at Qantara East in the Sinai, and at the Egyptian Museum, Cairo. However, since Mubarak's resignation, looting has increased all over the country, and our antiquities are in grave danger from criminals trying to take advantage of the current situation."

Hawass's report includes the following details:

Looting of museums and storage magazines

There are few details about what items have been removed from these facilities. Hawass reports that site inspectors at each of these locations "are still carefully checking the magazine inventories against their databases to assess the full extent of the damage". He is waiting for the inspectors to finish their work and file their final reports.
Fourteen items remain missing from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, following the recovery of four of the original 18 missing items. The Heart Scarab of Yuya, the body of the goddess from the statue of Menkaret carrying Tutankhamun, one of the missing shabtis of Yuya and the statue of Akhenaten as an offering bearer.
From the storage magazine in Qantara East in the Sinai several boxes of artefacts were removed of which 292 items have been returned, but there is no indication as to what proprition of the whole this number represents.
Magazines in Tell el-Basta and Wadi el-Feiran, near Sharm el-Sheikh, were broken into.
The De Morgan magazine of Metropolitan Museum of Art’s expedition in Dahshur, was attacked twice. Looters were able to overpower and tie up the guards.
In Abusir, looters broke into the magazine of a Czech expedition. Again, there is no statement about what has been taken.
In Giza, the Selim Hassan magazine was broken into by looters carrying guns. There were guards but they surrendered were unarmed and surrendered.
Looters have attacked Abydos nearly every night; illegal excavations and trenches, some as deep as five meters, have damaged the site.

Sites and monuments

Saqqara was looted several times about ten days ago and the padlocks of many tombs were opened. At the tomb of Hetepka inscribed blocks and parts of the false door were stolen
The tomb of Ken-Amun in Tell el-Maskhuta, near Ismailia, was completely destroyed. It is the only known 19thDynasty tomb in Lower Egypt.
At Giza the Tomb of Impy, near the Great Sphinx, was broken into and vandals attempted unusuccessfully to destroy other buildings.
Looters have attacked Abydos nearly every night; illegal excavations and trenches, some as deep as five meters, have damaged the site
Inscribed blocks were also taken from the tomb of Ptahshepses in Abusir.
The guards of sites in Nekhen, north of Edfu, caught several thieves.
In Aswan archaeologists and site guards prevented looters from stealing a statue of Ramesses II.
A site in Northern Sinai was destroyed when looters arrived with a loader.
Reports of illegal construction have been reported near the pyramid of Merenre and the Mastaba Fara’un, near Saqqara.
Many sites, including Alexandria, Ismailia, Saqqara, Behaira, Sharqia, Abusir and Dahshur, have reported illegal excavations, some of which have taken place at night.

Islamic monuments

The police station which protects the recently restored and traffic-free al-Muizz Street (Cairo) was set on fire. Without the police presence, cars have already returned to al-Muizz Street.
In Tanta, the Sabeel of Ali Bey Al-Kabir, was broken into and three windows of Msavat metal framework, furniture and the modern iron gate were stolen. Some pieces of the window were found in the possession of street merchants.
Near Alexandria, Kom el Nadoura suffered some damage to its doors and furniture.
At Al Wekhalit el Jeddawi, in Esna, local people broke in and changed the locks.
Khan el-Zeraksha, a recently restored group of villas, was broken into by about 50 armed thugs, who forced the security team to leave. and are still occupying the site.
A group broke the door to Wekhalit el Haramin, at Hussein, but those who broke in have now been removed.

Jewish synagogues and Christian churches and monasteries remain safe and undamaged.

Hawass concludes:

"The antiquities guards and security forces at sites are unarmed and this makes them easy targets for armed looters. The guards and security forces are therefore forced to comply with the criminals’ demands. In addition, the Egyptian police force does not have the capacity to protect every single site, monument and museum in Egypt. The situation looks very difficult today and we are trying our best to ensure the police and army restore full protection to the cultural heritage of the country."

The above report is also summarized on Ahram Online by Nevine El Aref.

http://egyptology.blogspot.com/2011/03/status-of-egyptian-antiquities-today.html

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »
thanks for the update.....hope things settle down.
Some souls wear bodies like some people wear spandex: poorly.

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 04:39:52 am »
Terrible news! So much is irreplaceable for Egypt and the rest of the world when destroyed. Stuff stolen for sale may hopefully re-surface one day! Thanks for the update!
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:52 am »
I do not know the history of the region except for the little I know from my time alive, but a friend of mine said that Mubarak was a hero from one of the wars Egypt fought.  If this is the case, they were at one time highly liked and praised, and people did want them in their positions.

What they did with it, that's another story.

Point I am trying to make is that these leaders lost their sheen with the younger generations, and it is them who are leading the way towards westernization.  That's what they want, a more western lifestyle.  That's what the old leaders are not prepared or wanting to give.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 288997
  • stats Total Topics: 19607
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything