collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Incense sans dung  (Read 27523 times)

Incense sans dung
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:23 am »
Em hotep!  
I was unable to find a topic purely on this.  If there already is one, let me know!

I remember learning that when I start doing Senut (or any praying) to watch for incense that contains dung, as it, naturally, brings filth into the shrine.  

Like (I think) many, I had been using Indian brands such as HEM and Tulasi.  As I live in a very Indian area (Central NJ) these brands are the easiest to come by, but I've also heard that they very often contain elephant dung.  (note: the boxes contained no ingredient list, so I don't want to take my chances).

I went to a health food store where I found the "all natural" Tiloka brand.  It mentioned using natural gums, barks, herbs, etc. and that it does not employ the "dipping method" (simply dipping the sticks in perfume oil) cheaper brands do.  No mention of dung, though.

Does anyone have a list of incense types/brands that are *safe* to use?   Has anyone tried Tiloka?  I don't want start off on the wrong foot by being disrespectful and burning dung on my altar!

Sorry this turned into a novel, & thanks in advance!

Senebty,

- Renee
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:28:28 am by Renee »

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Incense sans dung
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:35:25 am »
Hotep,

I personally use Morning Star insence, or Nippon Kodo. Both are usually available at Chinese trinket stores. I generally stay away from Indian brands or brands that don't have an ingedient list.

Hope this helps!

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:39:26 am »
Japanese brands are safest.  Dung is still a natural product, so I don't think "all natural" is a guarantee against that and I think most Indian brands do use it.  Cow dung is actually sacred to them, but ritually impure for us.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:02 am »
Anything from Shoyeido (http://www.shoyeido.com/) or Nippon Kodo (http://www.nipponkodo.com/) is safe, as far as I know. Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa (http://www.nagchampa.com/incense_saibaba.html?gclid=CJeJs6-u4qYCFYXD7QodzF640w) is also apparently safe, from what I have been told, and it is widely available.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:14:28 am »
Quote from: Khesretitui
Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa (http://www.nagchampa.com/incense_saibaba.html?gclid=CJeJs6-u4qYCFYXD7QodzF640w) is also apparently safe, from what I have been told, and it is widely available.

Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa is safe?! YES! I have been avoiding burning it for so long thinking it had something bad in it ;P Thanks for the info!
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:08 am »
I also use Pondicherry and Fred Solls (when I can get it).  All of these are free of dung. Nag is my most favourite, however. I tend to buy it by the kilo from my distributor. ;)
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:51:04 am »
I use Shoyeido, Nippon Kodo (both of which are mentioned above), or Scents of Earth (http://www.scents-of-earth.com/).  http://ofravensandvultures.org/zencart2/ is a House member who makes liquid incense blends.

I am rather finicky about incense in particular, so if I can not be absolutely assured that it doesn't have dung, I won't use it in shrine.  I do appreciate living in a digital age, and will look up an incense maker's web site, and if necessary contact the company.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline HedebBast

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »
OT:  If for some reason any of you can't get Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa easy...I work in a store that sells it.  Just let me know and I can send you some.  
We also sell an Incense brand called Spiritual Sky which I believe would be Ok too, but I'll double check on that.

-HedebBast-
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut
Thankful to Set and my Akhu
Facebook|Blog

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »
I mainly use Auric Blends, but I use Morning Star as well. Both are ritually pure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Satsenu »
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Sekhenetnut

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 02:08:02 pm »
Morning Star is pretty awesome except for the lavender scent which IMHO is horrendous.
Sekhenetnut |Brought together by Nut
Sat Nut meryt Mut her Bes!

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 02:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Tepta
Quote from: Khesretitui
Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa (http://www.nagchampa.com/incense_saibaba.html?gclid=CJeJs6-u4qYCFYXD7QodzF640w) is also apparently safe, from what I have been told, and it is widely available.

Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa is safe?! YES! I have been avoiding burning it for so long thinking it had something bad in it ;P Thanks for the info!

I was not aware of this. I was under the impression that this incense actually contained Sai Baba's own dung, which is considered by his followers to be holy. But it could be that I'm misinformed on this matter.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »
I use Auric Blends and   Morning Star incense. :)
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 04:21:50 pm »
As I've said, I was told at some point, by someone (I do not remember who it was) that this incense is ritually pure. To my knowledge, it is OK, but that is the extent of what I know. If it isn't pure, then that's definitely news to me, but I would certainly be interested in seeing the info.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »
That's great I love Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa but was afraid to use it for Senut. :) Auric Blends sells 15 gram, 40 gram, 100 gram, 250 gram and the Kilo pack of Nag Champa.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taysat »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:06 pm »
what I read about the Sai baba incense might have been propaganda, as he has some detractors who are really vocal.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal