collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Incense sans dung  (Read 27524 times)

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
Re: Incense sans dung
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »
What I said wasn't intended to be an accusation or a challenge, in case that's how it's come across. I'd honestly love to know if there's info out there, because it would affect my practice. FWIW, though, I've offered plenty of Nag Champa and it's never been rejected.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 01:31:12 pm »
Hotep all,

I question the validity of their claims (just from browsing the website) on the Nag Champa only because of this:

http://www.nagchampa.com/gift_mantrashirts.html

"100% natural rayon"? last I checked, Rayon was not a natural fabric.

Either way, if the insence itself is not pure, then there are oils and reed diffusers that have that Nag Champa scent that could be a suitable alternative. Just a thought.

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:36 pm »
Hotep Maret!

I just had to google rayon, and here's what came up:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5538.html

"Unlike most man-made fibers, rayon is not synthetic. It is made from wood pulp, a naturally-occurring, cellulose-based raw material. As a result, rayon's properties are more similar to those of natural cellulosic fibers, such as cotton or linen, than those of thermoplastic, petroleum-based synthetic fibers such as nylon or polyester."

So there you have it.  It looks like rayon actually is natural, in a way... or at least made from natural elements.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senushemi »
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 06:01:02 pm »
I have been teaching it for years that Rayon is made from pine tree cellulose mainly and was originally manufactured at the turn of the last century in the Edwardian period as a "synthetic silk" and because like silk, it has a wonderful drape to it.

I think this is where the assumption has been made in the past that it is like synthetics that are petrol based.   I have many, many, rayon sudtsti or diari garments that are handwoven from Morocco. Tienda Ho and my favourite, Danish designer, Laise Adzer, used susti (or soudsi) which is a blend of rayon and cotton to give it even more of a slub to the fabric -  and dairi fabrics exclusively. In Laise Adzer's case, she had an entire Moroccan village dedicated to the construction of her line.   I can tell you, as can many collectors of those garments, that theseitems  are constructed of natural fabrics.

Senebty!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 07:07:40 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

Alright, I know this is a slight bit off topic though I felt that I needed to share it. As Niankhsekhmet has mentioned, rayon has been used in many different parts of the world as a rather durable fabric. I have a very nice blanket that is made from bamboo rayon and cotton, and i have to say it is one of the most comforting and insulating throw-blankets I have ever owned. I bought it as Macy's last year, and it was not horribly priced either.

As more my incense preferences, I do find the oils much more 'armoic' than the sticks or cones. This is where I buy my oils from: I really love their Egyptian Musk oil. As well do i find their Frankincense and cypress scents to be intoxicating.

http://www.candleslovers.com/scented-oil.html

Though, i am beginning to experiment more with stick and cones incenses. I have always been hesitant because of this 'dung' issue. I must say this tread has been a bit of a help. :)

Senabty
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:00 am »
Hotep,

Well, ya learn something new every day.

:)

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 05:30:56 am »
Em hotep, everyone.

Thankyou, Renee, for asking this question, because I have had the same problem with ingredients not being listed on the packets. In fact, I nearly asked this question myself, but felt that what is available in the UK might be different to what is available elsewhere, (silly of me, I know :) ).

I was pleased to see that Spiritual Sky is all right to use, as I can get it easily, (although some of the scents are pretty horrible in my opinion...).

Like others, my favourite is the Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa, but after reading this thread, I'm still not too sure about using it for shrine purposes.
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »
Hello, everyone - I haven't abandoned this thread!  Thank you all for your input.

Anyway, I CALLED UP Triloka, and asked:  they said they get that question often, and no, their sticks do not contain dung!

So if any of you have questions about any of your altar products, I guess the best place to head is the source!  the woman on the phone was so friendly!

thanks again!

- Renee

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »
Awesome!

Thank you, Renee, for doing the work to find out that answer for us. :)
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
I use Shoyeido and homemade Kapet.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »
I have to look into this homemade Kapet thing....

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 01:23:26 pm »
I use Shoyeido and Nippon Kodo thge most, though I think I prefer Shoyeido scents. Khenty Amentiu seems to like the Nippon Kodo Patchouli; it's a bit heady for me.

I also have some delightful smelling loose incense made by a very small Pagan business called Lazy Toad Cottage; it's got no binder, therefore, no dung. They also list their ingredients on each pack.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24729453/Lazy-Toad-Cottage-Price-List-December-2009

I use Devonshire products, they are another small, pagan family-owned company. I work with a woman who is good friends with the owners, and am told that most of their stuff is vegetarian if not vegan (with the obvious exceptions of the lye soap and stuff containing musk.) They use certified organic whenever possible, so no fake stuff, and I'm sure one could also call and ask if one is unsure:

http://devonshireorganics.com/

Edit: I'm not vegan but have found vegan resources to be a good way to find out for sure that something is ritually pure. As others have pointed out, "natural" could mean dung, but "vegan" or "no animal products" is more specific.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:28:40 pm by Sekhmetbitu »
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 07:08:22 am »
Sekhmetbitu - Thanks for mentioning that Khenti Amentiu really, really likes patchouli, the stronger the better. That makes a lot of sense :).

Back on topic, I'm using Nag Champa, but not the Sai Baba one. I buy it from a local shop, which is run by Hindus, so I'm assuming that it's ritually pure for their practices, but there's no info on the packet so I can't find out where it is actually made. It smells wonderful, but I'm not sure whether to burn it in shrine?
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 09:33:31 pm »
My personal take (and this is just personal) is to ask the gods in your shrine for their take on it. Otherwise, my policy would be "When in doubt, don't."
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal