collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Incense sans dung  (Read 27525 times)

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
Re: Incense sans dung
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »
Hotep Jet!  *henu*

Nag Champa would not be ritually pure (which I remember annoying me years ago as it does smell nice and I remember getting a bunch of it right before I found out that it wasn't ritually pure for shrine use).  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:08 pm »
Quote from: Imyutimuti
Hotep Jet!  *henu*

Nag Champa would not be ritually pure (which I remember annoying me years ago as it does smell nice and I remember getting a bunch of it right before I found out that it wasn't ritually pure for shrine use).  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti

Hotep Imti!

Is that because there is dung in it or some other reason? I have been hunting everywhere for a reliable source that will tell me one way or the other whether or not Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa has dung in it and I can't find a darn thing.

I do have to say though, that Nag Champa as a scent does not necessarily mean it is impure. I think the ones most in question would be those coming out of companies in India (like Shrinivas Sugandhalaya who makes the Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa). Unfortunately, Satya Sai Baba happens to be the one that (in my opinion) smells the best ;P

However! I used to work at a hippie shop for about a year, so I have experienced multiple brands that put out varieties of Nag, and there are other options out there. One brand that I absolutely adore and I am quite certain does not contain impure ingredients is Goloka. It comes in a yellow box with red lettering, and has a light, sweet scent to it. For a while, it was my incense of choice. If you'd like to read information about Goloka, the company that makes it and how they go about manufacturing their products, you can find a very thorough background on the company and their manufacturing process straight from the source: Click!

As far as places that sell it, there are quite a few spots online you can find some. Local shops might be less likely to sell it as when most people think Nag, they think the pretty blue box with all the writing on it ;P

Senebty!

EDIT: Oh! I found this too. This is also from their website, specifically in their products section, in reference to their Nag Champa: "NAGCHAMPA

Herbal incense sticks (Nagchampa) is the most widely demanded range of incense sticks which are specially manufactured by the process of handrolling. These are customized as per the specifications of our clients and are available in different packing such as Goloka Gold 15g Nag Champa ,Goloka Gold 8g Nag Champa,Goloka Gold 100g Nag Champa.

Ingredients: • Herbs • Aromatic roots • Spices • Honey and natural oil

Features: • Non-toxic • User-friendly • Wrapped in wax paper, free of plastic and any other unnatural materials • No animal"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tepta »
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 08:09:34 pm »
I used to work for one of Nag Champa's distributors and spent an INCREDIBLE amount of time through our lab and that of the manufacturer in an effort to find all this out from the indgredients list and the MSDS sheets.  I would be very interested to know who said, and how it is determined that Nag Champa Satya Sai Baba is now "Impure" from a ritual standpoint.

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »
Hotep!  *henu*

I'll defer to Niankh's clarification.  It's the first time I've heard from a source I would trust that it's safe to use from a ritual standpoint.  I remember the incense topic came up years ago in a chat and someone asked if Nag Champa was ok to use.  It was said to be impure due to the dung issue.  I don't recall the specific chat or which of the priests stated that it was impure.  Honestly it's the first time since then I've dealt with the question, so I apologize for the error on my part.  Nice to know that it can be used in shrine.  ^_^

*Flogs self with wet noodle to make amends*  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 11:13:29 pm »
Em hotep Imti!

Oh, it isn't a problem! I was just shocked! LOL! I was thinking, wait a minute! How many hours did I spend hunting all that info down? ;)  

It's all good. :)

Semebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 09:45:25 am »
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet
...spent an INCREDIBLE amount of time through our lab and that of the manufacturer in an effort to find all this out from the indgredients list and the MSDS sheets.

*perks ears up*
Wow incense has a MSDS?! (I deal with MSDSs & chems all day every day as the EHS Admin of my dept. @ work.)
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline izabellsa

• Remetj
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »
I have a dealer local that make Egyptian musk incense and I make kp.t myself that way I know what I am offering to the Gods, not to bad price wise if you make a batch for the whole year! Totally worth it!
May the Neteru smile upon you!

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:31 pm »
Quote from: Renee
Em hotep!  
I was unable to find a topic purely on this.  If there already is one, let me know!

I remember learning that when I start doing Senut (or any praying) to watch for incense that contains dung, as it, naturally, brings filth into the shrine.  

Like (I think) many, I had been using Indian brands such as HEM and Tulasi.  As I live in a very Indian area (Central NJ) these brands are the easiest to come by, but I've also heard that they very often contain elephant dung.  (note: the boxes contained no ingredient list, so I don't want to take my chances).

I went to a health food store where I found the "all natural" Tiloka brand.  It mentioned using natural gums, barks, herbs, etc. and that it does not employ the "dipping method" (simply dipping the sticks in perfume oil) cheaper brands do.  No mention of dung, though.

Does anyone have a list of incense types/brands that are *safe* to use?   Has anyone tried Tiloka?  I don't want start off on the wrong foot by being disrespectful and burning dung on my altar!

Sorry this turned into a novel, & thanks in advance!

Senebty,

- Renee

Not to worry, the gods are not that easily offended especially by those that demonstrate a purity of heart (the soul rests here don't forget :)) with good intentions :) But yes nobody likes dung, well except for a few deities, but that's for another discussion :)
Ankh Wedja Seneb

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »
I've found Triloka -does- have dung in it, which is why I get serious headaches. If I get headaches = dung present, without exception. They just keep it all hush-hush; I found out through a family in India who knew about it.

I make my own kyphi, if it's any relevance. also, myrrh and frankincense resins. Finding actual species-appropriate cedar and cypress is also very difficult. I try to stick to what was used way back when, and have one of the temple recipes. I'm trying to recreate it. :)
~Love is all there is~

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »
XD I suppose perhaps Khepera probably wouldn't mind dung eh?

*laughs at horrible joke then sits in bad joke corner* lol
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Former Member 3

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »
I use morning star and other Japanese brands. Recently I also found a cheaper alternative to morningstar. Magnifiscents by Shoyeido, they also come with a little ceramic holder and it says: No synthetic oils or fragrances, no animal ingredients, no animal testing.

Offline Nityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 02:19:53 pm »
I use Spiritual Sky, and I find that Jasmine, African violet, and Om are particularly well received.  
Nityinepu AKA Niti Yinepu's
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Bast-Mut, her Khnum
Sau Apprentice-in-waiting

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »
[cackles] Actually that joke is awesome. I can just picture Khepera going.. "Heeeey, this smells go-- OH, there's even a little bit of poop in it! <3 How thoughtful!"

*snicker* Awesome joke.

What constitutes "ritually pure"? I'm familiar with purifying and blessing/consecrating incense, but I don't know the K.O. definition.. :) Thanks.
~Love is all there is~

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »
Hotep Sage,

You'd probably be best off reading this thread from the beginning:
http://www.netjer.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218269&page=1

How-ever, short form is most insence sticks or cones from India usually use cow dung as a polymer. Cows are sacred to Hindu's, but dung for us is considered impure, as is anything containing Urea, which is the main component found in urine.

Basically, anything that is considered a waste product, or a synthetic derivative of a waste product, is considered impure for us, which is not technically the same as purifying or blessing and consecrating.

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:28 am »
Thank you, but I've already read the thread 3 times over. (Five now, after reading your post, just to check again.)

The only things I found in the thread were people asking which ones did/didn't have dung in them. No one really specified what constituted ritual purity, so thanks for posting. :)

I'd like to read more on what is considered impure/pure. I'm also a little bit curious about cow dung in particular and why it's considered impure, as cows were sacred to Hathor (I would think their waste, as a sacred animal, would have been considered semi-sacred as well, having been through the animal). What determines ritual purity/impurity, or should I hold off asking 'til that comes up in the beginner class?
~Love is all there is~

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal