collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Incense sans dung  (Read 27517 times)

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
Re: Incense sans dung
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »
Quote from: Sage_of_Yinepu

I'd like to read more on what is considered impure/pure. I'm also a little bit curious about cow dung in particular and why it's considered impure, as cows were sacred to Hathor (I would think their waste, as a sacred animal, would have been considered semi-sacred as well, having been through the animal). What determines ritual purity/impurity, or should I hold off asking 'til that comes up in the beginner class?

All waste is considered impure (feces, urine, blood etc).  

Many animals are sacred.  That doesn't make their poop sacred.  

Pure things for shrine:
plant fibers (linen, cotton, etc).  
cleanliness

Purity for priests and purity for laity are two separate things.  Wool would be inappropriate for a priest on their State shrine (shrine for priests), but I know of one person (who is not a priest) who said Geb asked her for a wool blanket on His shrine.  

I think it depends on which deity too.  Wool for Amun would be inappropriate since sheep are sacred to Him (and wool was hard to keep clean in ancient times, in Egypt).  Offering Him lamb/sheep is considered taboo because they are sacred to Him.

Cows as you've mentioned are sacred to Hethert (Hathor).  Hethert has accepted beef as an offering from me.  I think others have had the same experience.  Still there could be some people that don't offer Her beef for whatever reason (maybe they are vegetarian or maybe it's just not good for them to eat, etc).  

An animal can be sacred so it is eaten or it can be sacred so it is not eaten/used.  

It just depends on the deity and people's personal taboos.  

I hope this makes sense.  Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
Lol, okay. :) I was wondering if poop was considered sacred somehow.

Blood being impure -really- confuses me, as it's lifeforce (or at least a vital part!) for many things. I'd have thought it'd be very pure. It probably depends on culture, again, like you said.

But that really does make sense :) Thanks for clarifying! One more q; how are ritual purities/impurities determined in K.O.?
~Love is all there is~

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »
Lol, okay. :) I was wondering if poop was considered sacred somehow.

Blood being impure -really- confuses me, as it's lifeforce (or at least a vital part!) for many things. I'd have thought it'd be very pure. It probably depends on culture, again, like you said.

But that really does make sense :) Thanks for clarifying! One more q; how are ritual purities/impurities determined in K.O.?  

Blood outside the body is impure.  Then it is just dead blood.  

Most come from AE sources (the ones we have anyway).  

And others come from the gods themselves.  Like Aset has taboos for me that are only for me.  Maybe others that follow Her may share them, but I don't know that.  My taboos are pork, fish and eggs (by themselves); I'm not supposed to eat them.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »
Thank you, but I've already read the thread 3 times over. (Five now, after reading your post, just to check again.)

The only things I found in the thread were people asking which ones did/didn't have dung in them. No one really specified what constituted ritual purity, so thanks for posting. :)

I'd like to read more on what is considered impure/pure. I'm also a little bit curious about cow dung in particular and why it's considered impure, as cows were sacred to Hathor (I would think their waste, as a sacred animal, would have been considered semi-sacred as well, having been through the animal). What determines ritual purity/impurity, or should I hold off asking 'til that comes up in the beginner class?

Em Hotep Sage,

Actually, it is somewhat explained in the first post, as well as other posts. Either way...

I also provided a short answer to your question, while Tahekerut was able to provide a more in depth answer.

Its not just cow dung, its all dung that is considered impure. The body removes it because its a waste product, just like urine. Keep in mind, you wash your hands before you eat, you clean yourself off before going to a social gathering, going to see the Gods is no different. You clean up, and you certainly wouldn't put those very things you remove from yourself (either voluntary or involuntary in the case of bodily functions) back into shrine into offerings for Their pleasure. Makes no sense, right?

As for blood, Tahekerut was able to provide a great answer. Blood is meant to be inside the body, not outside it. Blood outside the body is technically dead, and usually indicates a form of illness or injury.
And before you start on the moon time of women and that its meant to be a sacred time full of power....I have many theories and ideas on this particular topic, but I will refrain from posting them, unless you want a Wall-O'-Text post. I am sure with a quick search of the forums via the search function, you can probably find most of the answers and thoughts on that particular topic.

Keep in mind that its usually not one thing, but a combination of many things, that gives us the prohibition on blood. Please keep in mind too that its not a judgement call about "dirty" and "shameful" that the word taboo often means. There is no judgement call on this, and the prohibition extends to both men and women alike.

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 11:21:40 am »
Ohhh, ok. :) That all makes sense. I'd been thinking of it in the wrong context. I've been reading so much of this board while I'm home (and tired from work) that not much was sticking. I hope I'm not coming off as rude/stupid/etc. :o

Thank you :D
~Love is all there is~

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:27 pm »
Ohhh, ok. :) That all makes sense. I'd been thinking of it in the wrong context. I've been reading so much of this board while I'm home (and tired from work) that not much was sticking. I hope I'm not coming off as rude/stupid/etc. :o

Thank you :D

Em Hotep Sage,

This is why I try to provide context with posts, when my Champix-riddled brain allows me to do so. Remember the Wall-O'-Text post I was talking about? All those points and ideas...? Gone. Like smoke in the wind. Anyway, off topic...

I know there are some brands that will provide disclaimers, and I think Tepta brought up a good point about Vegan insence. If its classified as Vegan or claims it is Vegan, then by that definition it must contain no animal products.
Most insence brands have webpages too where you can look up the list of ingredients. Thank goodness for the internet. :P

It also goes to show you the importance of reading the labels. *NodNod*

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2012, 12:53:56 pm »
Hotep.

Truthfully I have no idea if mine is "safe" or not but I use  Nag Champa as a general one and for more spiritual work I burn white sage.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:01:27 pm by Solar_powered »

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »
Quote from: Solar_powered
Hotep.

Truthfully I have no idea if mine is "safe" or not but I use  Nag Champa as a general one and for more spiritual work I burn white sage.

Hotep Solar Powered,

There was a discussion in this very thread about Nag Champa actually. You'll have to flip back through it. I think there are some varieties of Nag that are acceptable for use or considered ritually pure by our standards, and then there are some brands that aren't. I think a few people had suggested a specific variety, which I can't recall off hand.

Either way, its good practice to read labels.

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »
Quote from: Maretemheqat
Hotep Solar Powered,

There was a discussion in this very thread about Nag Champa actually. You'll have to flip back through it. I think there are some varieties of Nag that are acceptable for use or considered ritually pure by our standards, and then there are some brands that aren't. I think a few people had suggested a specific variety, which I can't recall off hand.

Either way, its good practice to read labels.

Senebty!
~Maret
Ah just found it. yes mine is Satya Sai Baba thank you for the info.

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »
[thoughtful]

feel better soon! ^^ [hugs] I'm currently on a muscle relaxer myself, so every now and then my brain stops retaining info >3< dislike.

Anywho not to go OT..

It would be interesting if there's a pinned sticky post with accepted & impure incenses. :)
~Love is all there is~

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal