Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 75
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Do not buy antiquities!  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Do not buy antiquities!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »
I would be concerned about vibrations clinging to any antique piece especially if there might be negative karmic repercussions from the way it was obtained. To me as a music collector it is like the difference between having an original Charley Patton 78 and a cd recording of his music. The 78 is cool to have, but if you are into the MUSIC you can get that from a cd. If I had the chance to buy an antique statue of my Mum from Egypt, it would be groovie and all, but She does not require it for worship or to show Her my devotion. So why take a risk (and plus I can't afford such things either LOL)
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »

Buy the antiquities if you want, but please don't use the worst of the Egyptian people as an excuse as to make the best of them suffer.

Senebty,
Arieni

:O *waves hands around* No no no! Arieni, I didn't mean anything of the sort. I *meant* that I think it is better that IF the items are going to be sold off regardless, that someone should take them and return them or take better care of them than regular black-market people who would not do anything to care for them. I'm saying that if they have to be sold (ie, the looters are going to find someone to buy it regardless), shouldn't it be someone who will take good care of it? I'm not saying anyone should suffer, and I AM NOT saying that looting is in any sense okay. I'm saying that if they're going to end up in the hands of someone, they should be in responsible hands and not in irresponsible hands.

In addition, as an Anthropologist I am entirely against colonialism in any sort. I believe my entire message there was completely misconstrued. Plainly: I'd rather have illegal antiquities in the hands of good people who will either return them or at least take care of them than bad people who just want to show it off for the "wow" factor and the flashiness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Faofeng »
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 02:47:44 am »
Quote from: Aashemmuti
I would be concerned about vibrations clinging to any antique piece especially if there might be negative karmic repercussions from the way it was obtained.

I have dealt with is in the past actually. Along with my love of ancient Egypt, I do find the culture and art of ancient China even equally fascinating. I especially love the Bronze works and Jade carvings. Trying to find a 'real' antique from China is very difficult. Most of the Chinese antiques one can find in New England are from thrift shops from Beijing when it was seen as 'classy' to travel to China after the War. So of course, most of these items one can find in an antique shop are not 'real' artifacts. There is (imho) a great deal of difference between antiques and artifacts.

In any case, I bought a replica bronze tripod from a small shop in Connecticut. It is very beautiful. Though, once I got it home I began to sense a very negative vibe around it. I went back to the antique shop to see if they had any information about the previous owner of the piece. Apparently, it once held the ashes of an elderly woman from China; though when the family came to the states they spread her ashes before coming here.

This bothered me a bit. So i tried talking to the akhu who was connected to the urn, though I could not get anything out of her. I am rather intrigued by Feng Shui. One old Feng Shui tradition is when acquiring antiques, to rid the piece of its former 'energies' one must place it upon red paper of clothe and sit it in the sun for a full day. I did this; and at first it did seem to work. Though after a week, I felt the energy again. So I did the ritual again, also washing the piece with a salt solution. After this, the energy passed.

However I felt bad for the akhu who once rested inside the urn. So in her honor, I made a small 'Asian Inspired prayer shrine for her. I felt the energy return a few month later (to the shrine, not the urn), and now she is much more happy and content. :)  
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 04:27:27 am »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety

The only place I have ever been able to find large quantities of ancient artifact for sale (Legally) from The Middle-East to Egypt to Rome to China was in a magazine my father use to get in the mail. He bought many old African masks from this catalog, all came with official papers; and were rather pricey.

Here is their website:

http://www.sadighgallery.com

Ethically I feel obligated to point out this URL goes to the website of someone who is largely regarded as being the worst of the big scammers in the antiquities market. Avoid at all costs. They are world-renowned for their fakes and worthless COA's. The reason they can publish a catalog is because they have more than one of everything!
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 04:49:03 am »
Quote from: Bezenwepwy
Ethically I feel obligated to point out this URL goes to the website of someone who is largely regarded as being the worst of the big scammers in the antiquities market. Avoid at all costs. They are world-renowned for their fakes and worthless COA's. The reason they can publish a catalog is because they have more than one of everything!

Really? I had no idea. Thank you for pointing that out... good thing I never bought anything from there. You know, it always struck me as odd that they had on offer so many things... not to mention the same artifact in catalogs that were years apart from each other. Again, thank you for this; I'm going to look more into this; it is now starting to bother me a bit...

Senabty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Imsetra_Imsety »
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:24 pm »
Quote from: Faofeng
:O *waves hands around* No no no! Arieni, I didn't mean anything of the sort. I *meant* that I think it is better that IF the items are going to be sold off regardless, that someone should take them and return them or take better care of them than regular black-market people who would not do anything to care for them. I'm saying that if they have to be sold (ie, the looters are going to find someone to buy it regardless), shouldn't it be someone who will take good care of it? I'm not saying anyone should suffer, and I AM NOT saying that looting is in any sense okay. I'm saying that if they're going to end up in the hands of someone, they should be in responsible hands and not in irresponsible hands.

In addition, as an Anthropologist I am entirely against colonialism in any sort. I believe my entire message there was completely misconstrued. Plainly: I'd rather have illegal antiquities in the hands of good people who will either return them or at least take care of them than bad people who just want to show it off for the "wow" factor and the flashiness.

First, let me say that my comments were not entirely directed at you, but also at others who had made similar statements. I apologize if you thought I was picking on you; that was not my intention and I am sorry if my wording made it look that way.

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. It's impossible to control who sells what to whom, or who does what with their purchase. I stand by my opinion that the best way to safeguard antiquities is to economically discourage looters by eliminating the market, legal or illegal, for antiquities. I don't think encouraging well meaning people to hoard artifacts does anything good for anyone but perhaps the person who gets to keep them. Yes, the antiquities might be properly preserved (there's still a chance that they could yet be damaged unintentionally), but out of context and in generally inaccessible, unpublished collections. Stripping these artifacts of their educational value by sequestering them is also detrimental.

I understand your position, but for the reasons I have stated, I respectfully disagree.

Senebty,
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 288984
  • stats Total Topics: 19605
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything