collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Hethert-Bastet-Sekhmet  (Read 4081 times)

Hethert-Bastet-Sekhmet
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:45 pm »
this is my first post so guys be patience with me.
alright i have been wiccan about a bunch of years and recently i baceme interested in the kemet and here i am, and one of the things that call my atention was that i fell that these three goddess are conected in any way. i have read too in wikipedia the same concept so i want to know if anybody else has the same sensation/feeling/intuition.

thanks in advance

Senebty
[color:red]Biaiensekhmet Son of Sekhmet-Hethert beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Seth =P[/color]

[color:blue]Groupie of Heru-wer Nebethet and Nut[/color]

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Hethert-Bastet-Sekhmet
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:25 pm »
Em hotep :)

Interesting discussion :)

Quite a few of our gods are dual-aspected (and a few like Nit-Nebthet-Seshat are triple-aspected.) We believe that Hethert-Sekhmet and Sekhmet-Hethert are most definitely dual-aspects. Each is a distinct and separate deity in Her own right, but they are also like two sides of a same coin.

They certainly share attributes, all three being Eyes of Ra. SOme of our Sekhmet, Hethert and Bast children can speak more to whether they share more connections.

I am curious--how do you see them connected?
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:51:54 am »
In addition to them all being Eyes of Ra, Bast was sometimes known as "the Northern Hethert," presumably reflecting the idea that the two Goddesses can play similar roles. In the Valley Temple at Giza, near the pyramids, there's supposedly a "Portal of Bast," a doorway with Bast on the northern doorpost and Hethert on the southern one. And although Sekhmet is usually the wife of Ptah and mother of Nefertem, sometimes it's Bast instead, as Bast of Mennefer. So while I don't recall ever seeing all three Goddesses syncretized into one Name, there certainly are connections to be drawn between them!

Edited to add: speaking personally, I haven't really had much contact with either Hethert or Sekhmet, so I can't speak to any intuitive or experiential connection. But perhaps it's because I'm very much under Bast's aegis, so the roles They would play in my life are mostly filled by Her?

Senebty,

Shefyt

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:59:42 am by Shefytbast »
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:36 am »
Personally, Bast introduced me to Hethert not too long ago, but Sekhmet arrived shortly after Bast did in my life. Before joining the House, I had worshipped Bast exclusively. I see some similarities to each of these goddesses, but they are also very distinct from each other. Each of them have a similar 'feel' as well when they visit too. ^_^
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:15 am »
i have briefly met hethert, had a week long encounter with sekhmet and a good almost 8 months of being looked after by bast.
they do  feel similar energy wise.. but very distinctly different so you can tell them apart.
i see them all as fierce ladys but who are more than capable of enjoying the good times too with you.:)

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:19:21 pm »
in my humble opinion Bastet and sekhmet are pretty much related together like a twin brothers with each one managing similar form of energies but not equal only similar(like yemaya and oshun in yoruba), and hethert in the middle working as a balance point.

or perhaps hethert and bastet are the similar energies and sekhmet representing the dark forces of nature and balance of power necesarily in life.

in any case i see the three as the necesary qualities to fulfill in life love pasion and fidelity.

thanks to all have given me a full list of ideas in which i can meditate
[color:red]Biaiensekhmet Son of Sekhmet-Hethert beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Seth =P[/color]

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:22 pm »
Em hotep!

There is a great deal of literature out there that seems to infer that Bast and Sekhmet are sisters. Merybast and I had this discussion many years ago and really, there is no ancient precedence to even infer this except that both are Eyes of Ra.  While both have leonine forms, that is where the similarity really rather ends.  In my view, they really have completely different functions and temperaments. That is not to say that One is more powerful or more important than the Other. Difference does not have to be a bad thing. The diversity as well as the similarities can have definite points of appreciation.

The fact that Sekhmet is created from HetHert was a really very difficult thing for me to even to come to grips with. After a number of years, I finally have.  Bast really doesn' have such a similar mythos or temperament going on.  I appreciate Bast, of course, but the felidae thing is about as far as the similarities between Bast and Sekhmet actually goes for me.
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »
Em hotep, Gabriel.

The following is my personal gnosis, formed from information I perceived from my Mother Bast and my Beloved, Sekhmet-Hethert; personal experiences; and bits of factual historical knowledge.  

I do not feel that Sekhmet, Bast and Hethert are syncretized into one Goddess.  I do, however feel they are closely connected, perhaps forming a triad of sorts.

Bast is the Northern Hethert, and Hethert is the Southern Bast.  Bast and Hethert share many characteristics, especially Joy, Sensuality, and Mothering.  Sekhmet and Bast share a great many of the violent characteristics, both being avenging eyes of Ra and protectresses of Ma'at.  Both Bast and Sekhmet have been associated with the Goddess Menhyt, Lion-headed defender of the Northern crown.

Also, there is some small amount of information that shows a historical Sekhmet-Bast-Ra syncretization, which ties Bast and Sekhmet even more closely together, and where Sekhmet goes, Hethert also is.  So, an argument could be made for a Sekhmet-Hethert/Bast/Ra sync, but I don't get that feeling from them.  

Once again, the feeling I mostly get is that they are closely intertwined, but separate.

Interesting topic!  Thanks for bringing it up.

Blessings and Senebty,
Tahai
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tahai »
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
It is my understanding that, depending on the era, the story of Sekhmet turning into Hathor was actually Sekhmet turning into Bast. It would seem that in certain eras, the two were very closely linked.

I assoc. Hethert more is Aset, and Sekhmet more with Bast. YMMV.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:03 am »
i think that the three are more a complex asociation than a simple mixture of three in one, specially in their aspect of defender or protective one goddeses.

between them there is a lot of relationships sharing different common aspect but not the three of them only in the warrior side i think and the magickal side

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3506
  • stats Total Posts: 304406
  • stats Total Topics: 21165
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal