Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 65
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Irhal ya Mubarak! The battle for Egypt  (Read 8574 times)

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
Irhal ya Mubarak! The battle for Egypt
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:40 pm »
Em hotep all,

this is about the first thing I've written on the web in the last week, even though I've been online about every free minute. I just haven't found the time.
Of course, I'm following the events in Egypt as closely as possible - al-Jazeera is providing great coverage in their live-stream
(http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/)

I must admit that I never saw this coming. Even after Tunisia I was sure that, regrettably, Mubarak and his regime had their people well under control.
I was never so glad to be wrong!

Look at this country, where in just a few days an oppressed people lost its fear of the government and for the first time in 30 years dared to speak freely.
Have you seen the coverage of the demonstrators crossing the bridge into Tahrir square? Fearlessly, and peacefully, marching against police lines, pushing through tear gas and water, and succeeding. (Crossing the Nile, incidentally, from the West to the East, from death into life)

And have you seen this wonderful party that was Tuesday?
Hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of people on the streets, united from all religious, political and social groups. People who wouldn't have dared to speak out against a policeman just a week ago now openly criticizing their president and claiming their rights.
And doing so without violence, walking bravely among tanks and soldiers that might well turn against them.
People protecting their neighbourhood from looters after the police disappeared from the streets, civilians protecting ancient sites under threat, others sharing around food and water and just organizing a huge party on Tahrir Square.

In all the atrocities, lies and injustice we see in this world this is one of the moments when I believe that there is something fundamentally good and worthy in mankind.
I feel awed and humbled by the courage of these men and women.

And then all the stuff happening today. Of course most information coming through to us is not all too reliable. But personally, I believe that the so-called pro-Mubarak supporters are indeed mostly plain clothes policemen and thugs paid by the government. I'm afraid that the regime is trying to spread chaos and discredit a basically peaceful movement.

The army is still staying out of it. First, I was just glad that the soldiers didn't move against the demonstrants. Now I'm confused: is the army thinking about switching sides? Or are they still acting on Mubaraks orders? I guess that quite some soldiers don't know where they should stand, either.

In the face of all this, the European and American diplomacy is something to be ashamed of. Aren't we talking all the time about freedom and democracy for everyone?
And now we're revealed as the hypocrites we are, reacting all too slowly and holding on to the tyrant who has been an all-too-convenient ally. (And how easy it is to ignore the people's suffering for the sake of stability, safe tourism and economic gains...)

Will this uprising lead to prolonged instability and bring radical islamists into power? (And isn't this the worst-case scenario that every westener fears...)
Actually, I don't think so. I've read a lot of opinions from different sources in the last few days and while there is surely a possibility of Egypt following the Iran example I believe it is a pretty slim chance.
The Muslim Brotherhood is without doubt an decisive factor, but they aren't all that radical these days.

Wow, sorry for the rambling, I just had to get this off my chest.
You can imagine how close and immediate all of this is to me, since I actually know Tahrir square and the streets surrounding it. My Arabic is at least good enough by now to read some placards and get the gist of what people are saying, I've been visiting Egypt every year and I've come to really like these people.(My friends in Luxor are hopefully safe, since the situation is much more quiet down there)

I'll now go back to watching the coverage and praying that Ma'at may prevail.
In spite of all the chaos, this is so great!
Go, Egyptians! The time of the tyrant is over!
Irhal, ya Mubarak! (which means "Go away Mubarak")

senebty

Ma'en
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:01:10 pm by Maen »
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Re: Irhal ya Mubarak! The battle for Egypt
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:11 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh.
Em-Hotep-Ma'en.

Ma'en, I agree with you on all your views; and I can sense that we share some of the same feeling/passions for Egypt and her people.

The thing that gets me soo heated about this whole thing is the diplomatic actions of the US and Europe. The US for most of its history since the first WW has had this need to be the 'Big-Brother' of the entire world; noising into everyone's business. (Of course, a smart government would not be ignorant of world affairs, though there is a line into inquiring and impeding...) Also, the US for so long has been the voice behind spreading Democracy. Now, the people of Egypt are crying for Democracy, their crying towards the US for assistance in achieving this new Democracy and now Obama stands back and basically say's to the Egyptian people: 'You need to figure this out yourselves' What kind of diplomatic approach is this? ... I saw one CNN news feed where the people (in anger towards the US's silence to their cries) began to feel the US is backing Mubarak. If the people begin to loss hope in the US, then they also may loss hope in Democracy... and what will fill this void of power? Let's pray Egypt does not repeat the outcome of Iran after their protests against their government...

Aa well, my heart is just so filled with respect for the Egyptian people. I saw another news feed of CNN where a reporter was filming the people waitng in line for bread. The people became upset saying "Why would you film this? This is ugly, this is humiliating. Why would we want the world to see this?"

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/02/02/explain.it.to.me.arab.unrest.cnn?hpt=C2

The people are embarrassed by their state of living right now. Which is the fault of Mubarak. If he did actually do good for the people than these revolutions would have never happened. Though despite their humility, they still fight for freedom.

I am just as outraged as the people to Mubarak's response the other day: saying that he will not run in the next 'elections' though he is going to stay in office until September? That is not stepping down! The people want him gone. Not in seven moths, they want him out of office yesterday.

Okay, now I'm rating... sorry. This issue is just soo deeply inpacting to me. I cannot explain why. I have never been to Egypt, though it has always felt like me homeland...

I pray for Egypt, as I do every day. May Egypt find its peace.

Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:03:50 am »
em hotep

just read this on the al-Jazeera blog:

"Our correspondent in Alexandria says tens of thousands of people have gathered in the centre of Alexandria. He says Christians and others not performing Friday prayers have formed a "human chain" around those praying to protect them from any potential disruptions."

Christians protecting praying muslims, just a month after a church in that same city was attacked and many killed.
Now, this is indeed something "Jesus would do"...
These protests made Egyptian muslims and christians unite, that's one of the great things about them!!

senebty

Ma'en

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40:42 pm »
The cool thing though is I think it's always been this way.  All the way back to Roman times when Isis and Mary were worshipped side by side.  It wasn't that long ago that we were reading about Muslims protecting Christians who were at prayer over Christmas time.  It really is beautiful.  
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Hethert
Beloved of Set & Heru-wer Who Are the Bawy
Beloved of Aset-Serqet

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:53:31 am »

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »
Very cool, Maen.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
Ha ha! I love it. ^_^

Shefyt

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:29:12 am »

And Mubarak has stepped down! Dua Netjer--nekhtet! Not to say that Egypt doesn't have a long way to go still before they resolve their government and achieve a lasting peace...but this is huge.

Shefyt

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:36:00 pm »
Dua Netjer! What wonderful news to hear that Mubarak has stepped down!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NeferuHethert »
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

Offline Iwaat

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »
Dua Netjer!
and many Nekhtet's! for the people of Egypt! :D
~Iwa'at Bast-Mut~
Bast-Mut's Heritage
Sat Bast-mut
Meryt Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Hethert-Sekhmet
*Sau apprentice*

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »
No one's sleeping in Egypt tonight. Party time! :D
Dua Netjer!
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:18 pm »
Nekhtet!!!! I'm soooo happy, they really did it, they sent the dictator packing!!!!

Dua Ma'at! It's so good to see that sometimes, there's a happy ending in real life. Or more like a happy beginning?
I sure hope so.

senebty

Ma'en

Offline HedebBast

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:25:23 pm »
SO happy for Kemet right now :D but still hope that it continues to run smoothly and for the best of the People.
-HedebBast-
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut
Thankful to Set and my Akhu
Facebook|Blog

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 09:30:18 pm »
Quote from: Maen
(And how easy it is to ignore the people's suffering for the sake of stability, safe tourism and economic gains...)

You speak about many rulers all over the world, including Ancient Egypt.

Being the worrier and pessimist that I am, I do worry about the stability of the region during this change.  Still, Egypt's had civil wars since way back in the time of the first dynasties.  They've come, they've gone.  This may be another culture changing event, but time will tell.

I am not sure if I agree with your statement that the people suffered for the sake of stability.  Granted, lying and controlling the news for propaganda's sake (and that was the ruling party's sake) is never correct - says a woman who is used to the belief that news should be impartial.  Of course, I believe news should be impartial!  Is it ever though?  Let's be honest, in the times of the pharaohs:  do you honestly think the people were told the truth?  That the ruling party didn't get away with things?  Look at Amun's priesthood - and I am his Beloved, if my divination is to be taken into account.

I want what is best for the country of Egypt, for the people and for ma'at.  Change is never easy to accept, and I'm a stubborn donkey in that respect.  Still, I do feel strongly - and have since this began - that the people will have what they want.  Of course, they can handle it.  That's not the question.

Yes, there is a good deal of cynical feelings within me - nothing new since a few short years ago.  I wish I was happy, but that's me - I'm more or less dismayed that someone would think the West has it all.  Yes, I take some things for granted, I understand; but,  I also feel a sadness and an anger when things die and change.  We always speak about diversity, but - the world steadily moves in a direction where one way will be the only way - or so it seems.

I keep hope in my heart that they will have the freedoms they wish for.  I do believe that news should be impartial, that leaders should have the best of the people in their hearts and minds, and that justice and fairness (as fair as life can be) for all should be the true ruler, no matter the form's physical name.

Also, I like the fact how they came together to pitch in and clean up. Go, Egypt!  Geb received some love. ^_^
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Seta »
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:30 pm »
Em hotep, everyone,

I rejoice in Egypt's liberation from 30 years of dictatorial rule with you all!  

As I thought, Mubarak only stepped down after hearing that some of his top military officials were about to put on civilian clothing and join the protesters after hearing his last speech.  Without the military, he's nothing but a tin-pot despot.  And I hear that Swiss banks are putting a freeze on his assets looted from the Egyptian people.  :)

As for the fear of a Jihadist/radical takeover of Egypt's government like Iran, I doubt it.  Egypt is predominantly Sunni Islam, which frowns upon government roles for religion--even for the Islamic Brotherhood.  Iran is mainly Shi'a, which encourages its clerics to get involved with positions of power.  Also, Iran's military wasn't afraid to crack the heads of its own people; Egypt's military wasn't willing to do this.  

Actually, the differences between these two sects (and there are more) is one of the major roadblocks I see against the formation of a "Caliphate" that some political/talkshow folks are blustering about.  

May Ma'at be restored in the homeland of our religion.  Nekhtet!

Senebty,
Senut    

Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286226
  • stats Total Topics: 19409
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110