collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Yinepu  (Read 15493 times)

Re: Yinepu
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »
Thank you for all the responses so far. Especially the discussion on the pronunciation of the name. I agree with several viewpoints stated. But like Kai Imakhu Sedjemes said, we will never know how they sounded when speaking in AE. And lets remember that language changes over the years, especially when your history spans 5,000 years.
Son of Amun-Ra, beloved of Sutekh and Heru-sa-aset!

Seper-en-Amunra: This is my Kemetic Name. It means Appeal to Amun-Ra

Please visit my site dedicated to Dad: templeofamun.weebly.com. Thanks!

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »
Just because he might not care, doesn't mean we can't care :) It's an interesting topic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Henytenwepwawet »
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 03:09:54 pm »
Indeed :)

I know he does not mind me calling him Inpw (spoken as Inpu). As long as you speak from the heart and with the utmost respect, it is alright.

But I also really like the discussions on language and the schientific references :) And it makes us grow :) Knowledge is wisdom after all :)

Hemet-Netjer Inpw

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 03:38:34 pm »
Hotep!

I've been calling him Yinepu for almost 10 years and haven't had a problem. In fact, in my experience, Yinepu feels more right than Anpu, Inpu, or Anubis. The latter three just have a 'wrong feeling' for me.

Plus, I feel confident in its use by the fact that a trained and educated Egyptologist (Hemet), who studies the language directly and makes comparisons vis-a-vis its derivatives, confirms Yinepu as the most 'true to form' rendition of His name.
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
"This one, Yinepu guides"
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra
Per Yinepu: Tepy-dju-Ef

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »
I don't feel comfortable popping out my mentor's credentials and waving them around. Just seems... inappropriate? It's enough to say that I feel as equally supported in my beliefs as you do in yours, Paymaayinepu. For exactly the same reasons as well.

But at the end of the day, I agree that the gods don't care so much by what name they're called. They know when someone is refering to them.

Its still interesting to discuss this sort of thing, because as Satsemyt said, knowledge is wisdom and I've found my scholarly pursuits extremely rewarding and relevant to my relationship with the jackal deities. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bezenwepwy »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 04:49:38 pm »
I'm not quite sure how discussing one's sources or the scholarly qualifications of one's sources could ever be inappropriate when discussing matters of academics, especially if one is claiming that a particular way individuals--namely, many of us here--do things is wrong.
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 05:21:37 pm »
It's tiresome, and can easily evolve into a contest of "My Egyptologist has more Egyptology than your Egyptologist". That's why some people don't feel comfortable listing qualifications and such like. For a full academic citation, sure, but for a casual conversation, whipping it all out often results in a lot of chest puffing.

Egyptologists regularly do not agree on how words are spelt or said. This is normal, and it does not make either one "wrong" even if a person rather agrees with one or the other. A civilised discussion of the hows and whys of things does not amount to calling the other party outright "wrong" (otherwise one might be inclined to take insult at your own statements ;))

One might also find it prudent to double check Hemet's opinion before believing that the names she comes up with are as "true to form" as possible. My understanding is that this (inpw) is not a situation where it was the case, but where requests via divination took precedence. Someone with the links/messages will have to corroborate that
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »
Never once did I claim that any other rendition was wrong nor do I even make comment on that. I, personally, do not care how one spells the name of any God they choose to honor.

The criticism I draw here is that it was stated, quite unequivocally, that the way the House transliterates a God's name is wrong. I simply pointed out why and on whose learned experience from which we draw that transliteration and, hopefully, only implied that to throw the label 'wrong' on a word many of us use for a name of our God is quite the challenge without any academic sources to support it.

Like I said, I do not care if someone uses the name Yinepu or Anubis; I don't care if you think one is better than the other; I don't care if you think scholarship supports a better transliteration. More power to you! :)

What I dislike is someone saying, "What you're doing is wrong."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:39:35 pm by Paymaayinepu »
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure that what I said about "Yinepu" is that it is not an ideal translation. This is based not only on my info but on some things Hemet said to me when I asked her about it privately. From that conversation and also from some older forum comments I recall reading about it, I did get the impression it is a variation created for KO use, since part of its development involved checks via divination to make sure Anubis was okay with it. (Apparently his biggest requirement was that it needed to have three syllables.) And that makes it totally valid for KO use. But as I also pointed out, KO =/= AE.

If anybody is genuinely interested in my sources, please PM me. I'm more than happy to talk about it, but Henytenwepwawet nailed my concerns on the head.

I didn't intend to offend anyone. Someone wanted to "get technical" and so I "got technical" right back at them. That is all that happened. I have never actually posted my feelings about the word "Yinepu" here on the forums before because it would have been sorely out of place to do so in a stand-alone kind of way. I only posted it in this situation because I was challenging someone else's declarations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bezenwepwy »

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 06:42:07 pm »
the fact that a trained and educated Egyptologist (Hemet) ... confirms Yinepu as the most 'true to form' rendition of His name.

You did not say that anybody else was wrong, but as I gently pointed out, someone could take it that way much in the same fashion as you are taking well reasoned and civilised discourse to mean someone (KO) is "wrong".

It's good to try and see it from the other person's POV. Nobody here (well, maybe Satsemyt at first XD Not sure on that one!) was trying to say that anybody else is wrong. It's just super interesting to learn the hows and whys of all the different ways of spelling and saying these things :3
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »
Em hotep!

Bezen, I understood what you meant and what you said :). I wish I knew more about the language, myself. But in the scheme of things I would really absolutely love to study more about, at this time in my life, that is just one of a long list (longer now than what it was two decades ago when I might have had more time and opportunity!)

And I gave the Nisut's credentials not as any sort of clubbing tool but simply for folks who may not actually know she has any credentials, not to say she was to be taken on faith--she would be the last person to want that.

I love the scholarly bent to these kinds of conversations. But as with most things, keeping that simply scholarly without any "this is wrong/that is wrong" (and that is not directed at anyone in particular) feels at least to me to be so much more delightful and enlightening But that's just me :)
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 06:48:18 pm »
Benzenwepwy,

I think we have gotten our lines crossed. My original post was not addressing you or anything you have posted.
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 06:49:51 pm »
Hotep Henyt,

... someone could take it that way much in the same fashion as you are taking well reasoned and civilised discourse to mean someone (KO) is "wrong".

I'm not 'taking' anything and interpreting it differently. I've only addressed that which was plainly written; it was stated, without any ambiguity, that a transliteration many of us use for the name of our God was wrong.

It's good to try and see it from the other person's POV. Nobody here (well, maybe Satsemyt at first XD Not sure on that one!) was trying to say that anybody else is wrong.

And this was the only thing to which I originally found objectionable.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks I'm discussing anything else.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:56:05 pm by Paymaayinepu »
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 07:09:01 pm »
I think you're right about the crossed lines, Paymaayinepu. :) Which is a relief, I have to admit.

And thank you Sedjemes, I'm glad I'm being understood. That doesn't always happen. Heh.

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 09:18:13 pm »
@Payma'a

It's a line crossing thing. You were talking about posting academic references and then went on straight away to say especially if one is saying things are wrong. Since the former seemed to be about Bezen, the latter part was really confusing and sounded like it must be referencing her as well.

Anyway. That's why I, at least, thought you were talking about something else. I suspect it's probably why Bezen thought you were accusing her of it, too.

Easy mistake to make.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal