collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 71
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Shapeshifting in Ancient Egypt?  (Read 10252 times)

Re: Shapeshifting in Ancient Egypt?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:00:05 am »
Yes Menes I second Siwy here, and I see a fundamental difference in philosophy here, in what being you are suggesting to "use" for shapeshifting. In our philosophy Ap_p (or Apophis-the Hellenized version) is the embodyment of pure isfet.

Here are some links so you can understand these concepts as The House of Netjer understands them:

http://www.kemet.org/glossary/apep.html
http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Apep

http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Isfet

Thus I hope that illustrates (at least a little) why no one here would ever recommend that someone invoke, call on, or "energize" Ap_p, as that would be the OPPOSITE of something any of us would want to do, as it opposes Ma'at, which we try to uphold.

Wadjet, or Renenutet would be wonderful "snake Netjer" to work with instead.  :)

Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:58 am »
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet
Is the shape shifting an actuality or as much a metaphor as other anthropomorphic aspects of Netjer?

Interesting question and topic.

Ahh indeed it is!!!! Funny you posted this exact question or aspect Niankh, as I am reading the same in Naydlers' Temple of the Cosmos, where it goes into a little detail about that kind of thing.

Essentially, the quote I would use is "the reality structure of an individual is a direct result of their consciousness" (sorry if I misquoted that, or didn't get it exactly, but that's the core message I believe)

Timu

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 09:16:25 am »
Ah, I do apologize. It is not of my philosophy to summon anything harmful to one's self. I simply divined to find out who would be best to learn that from. Strange things happened in my room, along the lines of hearing the scuffling of something on my floor during a night of rituals, and hearing a occasional *hissing* sound. I traveled to the underworld when my questions went unanswered, which is when I encountered a black cobra-like being.
He spoke "I make the broad, narrow; existence into nothingness"
When I asked his name, hellenized or not that is what I was given, though I shall not mention this again the "Unthing".

I did not intend any disrespect or harm, please disregard my previous messaged suggestion.
[color:#0000BB] The Order of The Manzazuu
Necromancy High Magister[/color]

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:10 am »
Em hotep *henu*

admittedly I am more the rational and scholary type, but my approach to any God/Goddess is to read as much about His/Her history as I can find to get a basic knowledge about the nature of the Name. I wouldn't rely on divination when it comes to Gods I am unfamiliar with as there is a good chance that this Gods might be a trickser and/or malevolent and that I might not get a honest answer in a divination

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 08:16:05 pm »
Wise words indeed, I do practice caution when dealing with the unfamiliar, physical and nonphysical alike. However, I was only intending to find the best candidate for teaching serpentine transfiguration, nothing more than that. If I was intending to build more of a relationship with anyone or any being, I would indeed find out more about them.
[color:#0000BB] The Order of The Manzazuu
Necromancy High Magister[/color]

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:07 pm »
Wouldn't one have to built a relationship with someone one want to learn something from?
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 01:05:11 pm »
Quote from: MenesInpu
Wise words indeed, I do practice caution when dealing with the unfamiliar, physical and nonphysical alike. However, I was only intending to find the best candidate for teaching serpentine transfiguration, nothing more than that. If I was intending to build more of a relationship with anyone or any being, I would indeed find out more about them.

Not to be a wet blanket here (and I am curious as to the parameters of your practice as I don't know anything about it) but wouldn't seeking a diety or spirit to use and/or recommend for *teaching* others-fall under the realm of building a relationship?

I'm sorry if that comes off strongly I am just a little confused by your statement...and I guess I wonder how you can teach someone something without knowing much about it yourself....?

I am with Tanebet in that I would hesitate to work *energetically* with something prior to seeking any academic or historical references on it. (If availble because I know it isn't always thus) I know everyone is different though...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:06 pm »
As I said before, when shapeshifting, you not only mimic the shape, you also take on some of the attributes. For that reason you need to choose very carefully.
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »
Yes, choose carefully. Maybe there is a reason why you were given your own shape?.

Just a thought.

Senebty,

Jet.
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2934
  • stats Total Posts: 286159
  • stats Total Topics: 19404
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217