collapse collapse

* Donation Status

100%+   Current donation status as of January 15, 2021 = $2,500 of $2,500 (100%)   Donate!

Plus Projected Rollover of $1,462.56!!!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Veil of Isis  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
The Veil of Isis
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:16:09 pm »
Em Hotep...

I have seen the term The Veil of Isis.  What is it about?  Hoping some will be able to help me learn about it since googling didn't bring up any good results.  

Henu
Tasen
Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Setken

Re: The Veil of Isis
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:04 pm »
I have heard the term most commonly in relation to a book penned by Madame Blavatsky - one of the founders of Theospophy. "Isis Unveiled" was her masterwork and famous in that movement.

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/isis/iu-hp.htm

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:36:44 am »
"Isis Veiled" is also referred to in The Golden Ass by Apuleius. Which essentially is a referrence to the Greek or Greco-Egyptian idea of Her as "Lady of the Mysteries".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:43:02 am »
I just came across this link:
http://www.hermeticum.info/symbols.html

“I am everything that was, [QUID FUIT], everything that is [QUID EST], that will be [QUID ERIT] and no mortal has yet dared to lift my veil. ”

Does anyone know the language of the words in parenthesis (Quid Fuit, Quid Est and Quid Erit)?

Blessed Be!
Tasen

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
Em hotep, Tasen,

It's Latin, which is the ancient Roman language now considered to be "dead," although it lives on in the roots in many of our modern European languages, as well as in medical and legal terminology.  Latin also seems to be associated with "magical" spells and texts.

Quid Fuit, Quid Est and Quid Erit is the Latin translation for "What was," "What is," and "What will be."

Senebty!
Senut
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:40 am »
Quote from: Tasen

“I am everything that was, [QUID FUIT], everything that is [QUID EST], that will be [QUID ERIT] and no mortal has yet dared to lift my veil. ”

Does anyone know the language of the words in parenthesis (Quid Fuit, Quid Est and Quid Erit)?

Blessed Be!
Tasen

I think that's just the Latin version of the same words..."what was, what is & what will be"...
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:10:03 pm »
Quote from: Tasen
I just came across this link:
http://www.hermeticum.info/symbols.html

Blessed Be!
Tasen

It's inscribed at the Temple of Nit (Neith) at Sais.  I don't know if that was originally Nit's or Aset's at that Temple and the Romans co-opted it for Isis.  

It does bring about thoughts of Nit-NebetHet-Seshat though.  Ow.
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:56:45 am »
I have a friend who's very into...well we'll just call it "the occult" for lack of a better term. Apparently the veil of Isis refers to a black cloth used to cover an icon of the Goddess. So, I guess I own a veil... as my icon of Aset is covered with a black linen cloth. Apparently, it is used as a ritual tool. (which is used to gain clarity, for scrying, and other such rituals of "sight") Makes sense to me, as we have her Oracle each year, she'd be the one to go to for sight or maybe foresight?
Sat Montu
Meryt Amun-Ra her Sekhmet her Khnum

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:43:08 am »
Thanks, all.  I really enjoyed all the responses. I came across something else about the "veiled Isis" and it has to do with Her Divine Light being so strong we could not bear to see it and She veiled it for us.

Em Hotep!
Tasen

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:27 pm »
Quote from: Munefmontu
I have a friend who's very into...well we'll just call it "the occult" for lack of a better term. Apparently the veil of Isis refers to a black cloth used to cover an icon of the Goddess. So, I guess I own a veil... as my icon of Aset is covered with a black linen cloth. Apparently, it is used as a ritual tool.

May I ask where you got this?  I'm curious and I would like to look into it myself.  

At first glance, it sounds like the Greek Black Robed worshipers of Isis (I can't remember the name for them, but I'm pretty sure it starts with a M) who mourned for Wesir.  

In my UPG, Aset-Sopdet is more about foresight and foretelling the year based on the fact that when the star appears the year begins.  This also aligns the sacred time with festivals and the natural cycles of nature (our time, I guess).  YMMV
Sat Aset

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 02:44:37 am »
I have been told by a number of people that the original statement is on the lines of "no man dare see me without my veil and live"

It is, and I stand to be corrected on the temple walls at Dendera and allegedly really referred to Hethert.

Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:24:55 am »
Hotep

No record of any such statue has ever been noted in Sais or anywhere else. Sais was a cult center from early times for Nit, not Aset, and only Plutarch seems to associate Neith with Minerva and somehow also with Isis.

I came across an essay by C. Bleeker, who has written about Egyptian festivals. This particular work is about the nature of Neith and appears starting on page 128 in a book entitled "Rainbow: a collection of studies in the science of religion" which can be accessed via googlebooks for free. In it, Bleeker refers to this "veiled statue." He says that the so-called inscription probably harks back to a phrase Plutarch uses in his ninth chapter of the Isis and Osiris work. Here, Plutarch refers to the statue as that of Athena and that it bears the inscription: "I am all that has been, and is, and shall be, and my robe no mortal has yet uncovere." Bleeker analyzes the translation, alleging he also sought out advice from a Greek scholar, and says that in fact the original Greek is mistranslated and is perhaps better read to be simply that nobody has ever discovered the true nature of Neith.

Statues were never sculpted in Egypt to be veiled--that was a Greek and Mesopotamian thing to do (so says Bleeker) and looking around at such sculptures in museums might seem to bear that out.

FUrthermore, Sais was a thriving city, even the capital of Egypt, once, but by Alexander's arrival in 330 or so, the city was deserted and forlorn. UNder the Persian king Cambyses, an Egyptian physician who rose to be quite high in the king's administration, named Udjahorresnet, left an inscription on his statue where he talks in detail about how he counseled Cambyses to rebuild the temple of Neith at Sais to its glory, and brought back all her treasure and monuments.

He never mentions any statue.

Even Heinrich Brugsch, the 19th century Egyptologist, whom Bleeker says had allegedly made some reference to the statue in his work called Das verschleierte Bild zu Sais, makes absolutely no mention of the statue in his HIstory of Egypt up to the time of the Pharaohs.

Most of the references to veiled Isis come from Rudolf Steiner, Pierrer Hadot, Blavatsky--but the original source was at the least, a statue of the goddess Neith.

Who by the way is better-documented during the first dynasty than was Aset.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »
Quote from: TahekerutAset

May I ask where you got this?  I'm curious and I would like to look into it myself.  

At first glance, it sounds like the Greek Black Robed worshipers of Isis (I can't remember the name for them, but I'm pretty sure it starts with a M) who mourned for Wesir.  

In my UPG, Aset-Sopdet is more about foresight and foretelling the year based on the fact that when the star appears the year begins.  This also aligns the sacred time with festivals and the natural cycles of nature (our time, I guess).  YMMV

I'll have to ask her, where the info comes from as soon as shes back from her honeymoon :D
Sat Montu

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 09:41:32 pm »
I didn't realize she was home already.

Apparently the info comes from a book called "Hermetic Magic: The Postmodern Papyrus of Abaris"

I hope that helps
Sat Montu

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:16 am »
Quote from: Munefmontu
I didn't realize she was home already.

Apparently the info comes from a book called "Hermetic Magic: The Postmodern Papyrus of Abaris"

I hope that helps

Thank you for the reference.  
Sat Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300106
  • stats Total Topics: 20626
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955