Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Epagomenal Days  (Read 5615 times)

Epagomenal Days
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:05 pm »
Em hotep. My name is Janet and I am new here. Also, I'd like to thank everyone who welcomed me...Okay, I'd like to ask a question about something that really has me puzzled. I was reading a book called Bast and Sekhmet, and they were saying that the Epagomenal Days when Nut gave birth to her children, were collectively known as the Days of the Demons, and seen as a dangerous and unlucky period. The chaos god Set's birthday was especially inauspicious, but ALL their birthdays were said to be reguarded as unlucky and a time of dread. Why on earth would this be so???? And why would it be known as the Days of the Demons???? I'm having trouble making sense of this. Could someone please give me some insight. Thanks.

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:52:44 pm by Naisenu »

Re: Epagomenal Days
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:49:49 am »
Yes, I'd never heard of this Days of Demons term before (when I read it, I kind of cringed),and it makes, well, no sense to me, at all....But I could certainly understand these days being peculiar...kind of, 'out of time', as it were. That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:42:18 am »
Em hotep, Janet!

My understanding (which may not be official anything) is that the Days Upon the Year are unlucky/weird because they aren't part of the "natural order" rest of the year and the seasons. I don't think it has anything to do with Set's vilification, but rather the tension of being between years.

Additionally, childbirth was and still is a very dangerous time, so any concentrated time of mythical childbirth could easily be read in terms of the real dangers of the birthing process.

Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:19:12 pm »
The child birth aspect certainly rings true. I know thatjust with the ordinary birth of a child, a lot of goddesses were associated with this time, to assist and protect, as it was considered a dangerous time. Then, so much more with the mythical birth of deities...It makes prefect sense!....And Set would have been an especially difficult birth! (since he tore his way out)........Hmm, thank you for this! :-) Both explanations make more sense of this uneasiness the ancients felt about this birthing period.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:28 am »
I am a fan myself, I like to celebrate the 5's "birthdays". :)
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:32:26 pm »
Cool, and more like it! :grin:

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:28:08 am »
Quote from: Janet
...And Set would have been an especially difficult birth! (since he tore his way out)...

Set's birth makes me think of Scarlett giving birth to her child in the sequel to Gone With the Wind.  Scarlett had to have a cesarian-section.  

Could you imagine such a thing before modern day anesthetics!?  

Basically all they could do was hold her down, let her scream, heat the knife, towels, water, etc.  Freaky.

Women were freakin' brave to have kids...  I don't know if I'm that brave.   :sick:  :eek:  :(
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:10 am »
Urghhhhh, having had three children, and a few tummy ops, that was a hard read. Gotta love the advances in modern medicine!...But I believe the Ancinet Egyptians did surgery.I'd be so interested to know more about that. They were so advanced, compared to their neigbours....Ah, Set, well....I used to be scared of Set, until he turned up and introduced himself. (despite me telling him at the time, to go away). Now I understand him, well, a bit better, and have a special type of affection for him.(I dare anyone to say they completely understand Set)

Offline MeritAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:51:18 pm »
Em Hotep Ta *henu*

I'm the same. I love the Intercalary celebrations :)

Senebty,
Merit

Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
MeritAset - The One Whom Aset Loves
Sat Aset, Meryt Heru-Wer

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:55 am »
Quote from: Arienihethert
Em hotep, Janet!

My understanding (which may not be official anything) is that the Days Upon the Year are unlucky/weird because they aren't part of the "natural order" rest of the year and the seasons. I don't think it has anything to do with Set's vilification, but rather the tension of being between years.

Additionally, childbirth was and still is a very dangerous time, so any concentrated time of mythical childbirth could easily be read in terms of the real dangers of the birthing process.

Hotep all!  *henu*

Yes the Epagomenal days don't belong to either the old year which has passed, or the new year which has yet to start.  Thus they are not bound by the normal rules (natural order or Ma'at) that are in effect during the Kemetic year.  That's not to say Ma'at ceases to exist during that time but that the days are inbetween years so weirdness can take place during this time.  Also as Kemet was transitioning from end of summer/dry spell to innundation you may have had a greater incidence of health issues during this time....thus the deamons (of sickness) walking the land.  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 12:29:31 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset

i do it myself this way this year being my first epagomenal celebration ever. one cake for every birthday will be a good thing to do(i will make their favorite one for each of them)

talking about set is always a weird thing because being badboy/badass netjeru always sets him as difficult to understand.

is a fact seth is a darkside netjeru, not being darkside a bad thing only a deeper and more respectful one
[color:red]Biaiensekhmet Son of Sekhmet-Hethert beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Seth =P[/color]

[color:blue]Groupie of Heru-wer Nebethet and Nut[/color]

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8