Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Questions about Set  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Sora_1

• Remetj
Questions about Set
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
Em Hotep, everyone! :)

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm taking the chance I cn put it here. lol  

I'm in the process of writing a blog on Set, for the Pagan Mom Blog, as a part of her "31 Days of Deity".  I have already written a piece on Pan, who is one of my Patrons.  I volunteered to write about Set, because I believe he deserves respect, and to dispel a lot of the inaccuracies (among other things, ::clears throat::).

I do not possess any copies of the Pyramid or Coffin Texts, nor do I have anything available except that which is online.  Iwa'at Bast-Mut has provided me with some info from the KO prayer book, and I love it.

I've also used the info on the Kemet.org site, as well as a couple reference links from there.  The Wikipedia article looks like it has a lot of inaccuracies, though I did find a couple random web-sites that looked spot on. :)

There are some other things available online, at sacred-texts.org, though I'm not sure how to find the info.

Does anyone have any favorite Set sites, or any online info I can get a hold of?  I'm getting a better picture of him daily, though I would like all the input I can get. I've got a good bit written, though I am going to expand on that, and refine what I have.

Any help will be appreciated, and I will give a shout out to the temple in the blog. :)

Thanks!!

Sora
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:37:31 am by Sora_1 »

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Questions about Set
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:07:36 pm »
Em hotep, Sora,

I will send you a PM regarding some info I have on Set.

Senebty!
Senut
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

Offline Sora_1

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:37:19 pm »
Thanks! I sent you a reply. ^_^

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »
Most stuff online about Set is wrong, honestly. The best source for information on him is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/33920230/H-Te-Velde-Seth-God-of-Confusion-a-Study-of-His-Role-in-Egyptian-Mythology-and-Religion Te Velde is one of the only academic books on the god- and luckily you can read it online.

I have worked with him, and picked up tid bits here and there. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Sora_1

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:50:04 pm »
Yes!!!! :squeals:

You see, the only actual book I have on Egyptian Mythology is the Oxford paperback edition.  The article on Set was really good, and was written by the author of this book. :D

So, I've been looking for this, and thank you SO MUCH for giving me that link.

Unfortunately for me, this ole puter froze up and I couldn't really look at it.  So, I'll try another browser later, and see if that works.  If it doesn't, I'll have to go to a friend's house just to read it. :)  Totally worth it.

:D

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »
:D Glad I could help!

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:01:43 am »
Quote from: Sora_1
I've also used the info on the Kemet.org site, as well as a couple reference links from there.  The Wikipedia article looks like it has a lot of inaccuracies, though I did find a couple random web-sites that looked spot on. :)

Are you referring to this wiki entry: http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Set or the one on Wikipedia itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(mythology) ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Awetitu »
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 05:04:31 pm »
Em hotep, Sora,

I would love to read your article on Set, when you have it finished, if you would like to share it. I can't offer any scholarly help, but I can say, that, in my experience, He's OK. :).

Good luck with your work.

Senebty.
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »
I'd like to see a link to the post when it's done as well, or a link to the main page now to check it out before the post is up.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Online Rev. Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:45:47 am »
In scrolling through the thread it looks like everyone has already listed the few sources I've found, but I just wanted to express my excitement about your upcoming article and wish you the best with your writing efforts!

Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3306
  • stats Total Posts: 299262
  • stats Total Topics: 20533
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything