collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: First (and last) post probably  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: First (and last) post probably
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 03:03:46 pm »
Hotep

Thoth is simply stating his thoughts on his own path, wherever that takes him.

All Kemetic Orthodox worship and serve all the gods at various times and in various ways--even those most devoted to X or Y god, and even those of us who are specifically Servants or Hem(t)-Netjer of X or Y god, can and do celebrate festivals and special days of other gods as intimately as they wish. In Kemetic Orthodoxy priests don't just serve *only* their own god.

And service to the gods, any god or gods, is always more than just the "priesthood"--even for priests :)
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »
Em Hotep,

Understood!

Quote from: Sedjemes
Hotep

Thoth is simply stating his thoughts on his own path, wherever that takes him.

All Kemetic Orthodox worship and serve all the gods at various times and in various ways--even those most devoted to X or Y god, and even those of us who are specifically Servants or Hem(t)-Netjer of X or Y god, can and do celebrate festivals and special days of other gods as intimately as they wish. In Kemetic Orthodoxy priests don't just serve *only* their own god.

And service to the gods, any god or gods, is always more than just the "priesthood"--even for priests :)
PahauYinepu[/color]
The One That Belongs To Yinepu

I'm a Son of Yinepu-Wepwawet[/color], beloved of Renenutet, Sekhmet-Hethert and Amun![/b]

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 02:23:13 am »
I have decided to take my own path, firstly, because I had no knowledge of Remetj, Shemsu, Shemsu Ankh, or Wa'b Priest, I shall Google them later. Additionally, I am unsure how people of existing religions consider what is officially following a deity, and how to be 'accepted' into the belief. I just sit on a typewriter making up hymns and prayers, and spend a few minutes praying and meditating. I would like to do more, but I don't really know what else to do, however I will look into it, and Google the cited faiths you have referred to.
Email! ankh74859@gmail.com

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 10:20:17 am »
Hotep Thoth,

The terms "Remetj", "Shemsu" etc, are terms given to members of the faith of Kemetic Orthodoxy, the faith to which these forums are associated. All the pages at kemet.org, to which these forums are also linked, might provide information about this particular faith. Specific information about these and Shemsu-Ankh, and W'ab priest can be found explained here at: http://www.kemet.org/terms_list.html

I won't speak for how any other existing religion defines "following a deity." In Kemetic Orthodoxy we have two components to the practice of our faith: one is the state/formal component of ritual, which is established and led by the Nisut and the priests as her delegates. These rituals include rituals performed during our annual religious New Year celebration, festival rituals such as at Opet or the Mysteries of Wesir. The other component is a very personal and individual one, which includes what you do--one can pray to Netjer and the gods and show devotion anywhere, at any time, in any way that seems appropriate to the person.

We also believe that along with both those components (they are not exclusive, for us; that is, we consider both as integral parts of our faith, together) we try to live our lives as best we can. Prayer and devotion are distinct factors, but we might offer up something we are doing to the gods, we may ask the gods for help in doing something during our day--we also pray for each other and support each other in fellowship as a community of faith. So the prayer-devotion-worship goes hand-in-hand and is linked with our daily life and growth as a community of Kemetic Orthodox believers.

One is always welcome to consider applying to take our free, no-obligation beginners course, if one wants to learn more specifically about the practice of this faith. One can most assuredly worship the gods of Kemet quite profoundly, and not be Kemetic Orthodox, or take the beginners course. But if one is curious and wants to know more about this particular faith-practice, one is welcome to do so :)

I hope this helps. And feel free to ask more!

Senebty
Rev. Marie
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 01:40:03 am »
Ah, okay I see. I'll look further into all of this, as I'm a little confused with it right now, and how I worship my deities (well, Yinepu), differs from others. And so I just pick up bits and manipulate them to how I think they are helping, but there seems so much to learn, it's quite overwhelming, and when I think I know enough, I come back here, or I'm speaking to someone else over the internet, and suddenly, I realize they know a whole lot more than I do. Even people who don't follow an Egyptian based religious path, which does give me quite a sinking feeling. If there was a book on everything I needed to know, I would happily buy it.

Anyway, I'm trying to do more to respect Yinepu, such as offerings, of which he allegedly likes chocolate, so I'll try that. Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what to do. I use 'generic' prayers, ones that don't offer nor request anything, as I feel I shouldn't just use a deity for personal advantage (which I think I once read somewhere in a spells book I'll have to get back to reading).

Oh, wait, ignore all that, beginners' course, you say? That could come in useful, I'll try that, but don't I need to sign up to something? Not that I have much of a problem with signing up to things, but last time I tried it said I have to be 18 or over and "non-financially dependant". But I'll explore around a bit. How do I get the beginners' course?
Email! ankh74859@gmail.com

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »
Hotep Thoth,

The information for applying to the beginners class begins here:
http://www.kemet.org/apply.html

You know, it is really very true that the most powerful and profound worship and relationship with God, whatever one calls a deity, is that ongoing conversation with the deity--whether one calls that prayer, or greeting, or something else. One might start the first moment of the day greeting god, converse with god while at the store, in the office or classroom, studying, cooking, reading a book-pick an activity-and have quite a profound relationship. Lots of people might be doing exactly that---and yet such conversation would be completely different for each individual.

So don't get too focused on whether or how your prayer/devotion differs from others. Just maintain the prayer/devotion, as however comfortable it is for you right at the moment, if it seems appropriate and right to do so.

And--god really does not mind us asking for help if we sincerely need it. Our gods do want us to realize we have the abilities to do what we need to do--but they also don't want us to play the "I should not ask god for help with this it's not right" card ;)

Just thought I would mention that. Of course---do (or don't do) what your heart tells you. Just don't stress too much along the way. You are different from anyone else--and vice versa, and that is how it should be.
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 02:17:40 pm »
Em Hotep,

Sedjemes you are really helpful when it comes to things like this. You have helped me so much a long the way to understand where my relationship with the Gods is and should be. I think Netjer has definitely given you this ability. I also am finally beginning to understand that we are not supposed to be like sages or buddhist monks, but regular people who just happen to worship the Gods in our own way or the way that has been outline as one who follows Kemetic Orthodoxy. I am very proud to be a member of the Kemetic Orthodox family.

Senebty

Quote from: Sedjemes
Hotep Thoth,

The information for applying to the beginners class begins here:
http://www.kemet.org/apply.html

You know, it is really very true that the most powerful and profound worship and relationship with God, whatever one calls a deity, is that ongoing conversation with the deity--whether one calls that prayer, or greeting, or something else. One might start the first moment of the day greeting god, converse with god while at the store, in the office or classroom, studying, cooking, reading a book-pick an activity-and have quite a profound relationship. Lots of people might be doing exactly that---and yet such conversation would be completely different for each individual.

So don't get too focused on whether or how your prayer/devotion differs from others. Just maintain the prayer/devotion, as however comfortable it is for you right at the moment, if it seems appropriate and right to do so.

And--god really does not mind us asking for help if we sincerely need it. Our gods do want us to realize we have the abilities to do what we need to do--but they also don't want us to play the "I should not ask god for help with this it's not right" card ;)

Just thought I would mention that. Of course---do (or don't do) what your heart tells you. Just don't stress too much along the way. You are different from anyone else--and vice versa, and that is how it should be.
PahauYinepu[/color]
The One That Belongs To Yinepu

I'm a Son of Yinepu-Wepwawet[/color], beloved of Renenutet, Sekhmet-Hethert and Amun![/b]

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 03:59:17 am »
Check my sig line, Thoth...

I'm one of the beginner's liaisons, please feel free to ask anything you like.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3261
  • stats Total Posts: 298706
  • stats Total Topics: 20483
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955