Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Questions about Senut  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Questions about Senut
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:24 pm »
I have a few questions I've been meaning to ask.

1.) How can you tell if you've got 10 grains of natron? What constitutes a grain? I first felt like I was using too much, but now I feel like I'm using too little.

2.) If you're under high amounts of stress, should you or should you not perform senut? As many members are aware, my uncle is dying, and I'm very torn up about it. In addition, I'm stressed out from school and financial things. I want to keep doing senut, and I know I'm supposed to every day, but I can't tell if I'm not wanting to or if They would rather me pray instead of full senut.

3.) I have a roommate who is very curious about the senut rite. I remember that the beginners lessons say that they are intended only for the original recipient, so I haven't shown her directly (we've just talked about it). Is it okay for me to share the words to the rite? She's interested in going through the beginner's course just to see what KO is about (she's genuinely curious but isn't really sure that KO is right for her), but I know the beginner's class just kinda started. What should I do about this situation?

Any and all help is loved. Thanks :D
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
Re: Questions about Senut
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:58 am »
1.  10 grains is just like a pinch of natron.  There doesn't need to be alot.  You don't need to count the grains.  I personally pour mine in the water and however much ends up is however much ends up.  

2.  Well, you could see it either way.  If it causes you more stress to do Senut, then maybe praying is better, if it calms you and causes you less stress to do Senut then doing it is helping you.  So keep doing it.  And my condolences.  

3.  I think showing her the rite isn't a bad idea.  It's published in the Prayerbook.  Anyone can buy it and see the rite.  I think the point of being mindful of who you show it to is just so you realize that this is not something cool to show your friends.  This is a ritual and should be given that respect.  As long as it is shared with care and respect, then I don't see a problem showing it to your roommate.  

You could tell your roommate to email KI Sedjemes and ask about the class if she/he wants to take it now.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra her Mut

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:07:25 am »
About how much natron to use -- The natron I made hardened up like you wouldn't believe, I had to break it up into chunks about the size of small corn kernels.  If I can break one of those kernels even smaller, that is the amount of natron I use in a cereal-sized bowl of water.

As for your second question -- I suggest trying to perform senut anyway, despite the stress.  Actually, because of it.  I've likened senut to visiting family at their home.  (Clean up to be presentable, swing by with an offering, stay to chat.)  When I am in a mind-state like I imagine you must be, those were times when I would push harder to perform senut.  Senut stills my racing mind and eases the pressures on my heart.  Worrying about whether the gods do or don't want me in front of Them if I am stressed or emotional just makes my stresses even worse.  So I leave it up to Them.  If They don't want me, They can shoo me away.  And I have never been shoo'd away from performing senut.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.
Fedw Diviner

Sit Down, Parakeet | Twitter

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:02:56 am »
As for stress and anxiety, part of my pre-senut ritual is that I stay in the bath or shower until my mind is as pure as my body.  You can use that time to relax and focus your mind and that helps you for the whole day.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:34:47 am »
On the natron, I usually end up with two pinches in the bowl. It doesn't take a lot. I want to taste something of it, to make sure I didn't forget to put in the natron. :o

For the stress, like Tek says, try to make it part of a relaxation technique. I wouldn't do it if I was in a total fury over something, but I'm not sure we need to be entirely problem-free when we do Senut. Otherwise, when would we ever?

Checking with KI Sedjemes or one of the other priests might be a good idea, but I would suspect that if it's a "Sharing so you will understand" thing and now showing off, that it may be all right.

I might suggest that they offer something as part of it. Just like if you were invited to dinner at someone's house, you might bring a bottle of wine or something for the host or hostess. That would take them out of the role of a gawker, but it's a courtesy gift- not like they are converting  at this point. Just showing that they are friendly.
Kemetic Reconnaissance Blog
Shrine Beautiful Inspiring, Enchanting Sacred Spaces.
Kemetic Roundtable Kemetic bloggers giving their perspectives on beginner questions.

Offline Yineputjeheni

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:23:11 pm »
For question 3 I would say this- share only the wording of the senut, and not an actual senut itself. I have "shared" rituals with curious people and it serves no purpose. If this person is meant to experience the senut, they will preform it themselves. Alone.  As we all do.
sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Aset-Serqet her Nut

"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live."  -Josh Homme

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:18:10 pm »
The senut is created for the House of Netjer members anyhow, as it's not exactly what the people of Ancient Egypt would have said and done in their homes everyday.  Of course, there would be some similarities, but other things are from the temple-type of worship.  Nothing would really be gained in the sense that it's not authentic to what the everyday-citizen would have done and said.  Again, this is to a degree.  Of course the people would have opened up to the gods, asked the spirits for help, etc.  There's just a lot we do not know.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »
Hotep all!

1. For the 10 grains, I usually just use a pinch or two... so long as I can see it, and taste at least a hint of it, it's enough. :)

2. I would suggest listening to your heart, when it comes to stress and doing Senut.  If you think it would help with the stress, then do it; or, if you think it'd stress you more, than don't.

3. For the curious roommate, I'd say, if you have it, show them the version that is in the Prayerbook.  It's there for the world to see, and practice if it/they want.

Quote from: TaraFox
For question 3 I would say this- share only the wording of the senut, and not an actual senut itself. I have "shared" rituals with curious people and it serves no purpose. If this person is meant to experience the senut, they will preform it themselves. Alone.  As we all do.

I also wanted to respond to this, to say that Senut is actually shared, at least on a annual basis, at Retreat.  It's usually done the second full day of Retreat, but I think this year (correct me if I'm wrong, people who were there!), it was done on the first full day, as kind of an "opening" ritual for Retreat.

I, myself, actually like sharing Senut with others.  When I do it alone, my brain does it's wandering-chattering-explodeyonothersubjects thing, and I can never really concentrate all that well.  On the other hand, when I'm sharing the Senut with (an)other(s), I have something/someone to focus on/with, and I tend to get more out of the experience.

My two chips worth of thought, for the ten pounds of natron they're worth. ;)
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

Offline Kadu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:01:36 am »
Em hotep!

I have a question about Senut, too.
I have two Parents, so during the Senut should I perform the rite for both Parents at the same time or should I perform the rite first for one parent and then for the other parent in separated?

Thank you! :D
Son of [color:grey]Wepwawet-Yinepu[/color] &  [color:red]Hethert-Sekhmet[/color], Beloved of [color:blue]Djehuty[/color] & [color:navy]Nut[/color]

Facebook

Twitter

MSN: meeting.me@hotmail.com

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »
Kadu,

Yes.

No.

Both!

Neither?

The beauty of senut is that it is so flexible in this regard.  You can do it once for both of your Parents. You can choose to perform senut for One and perform for the other another day.  You can perform senut for another Netjer. You can even perform senut without focusing on a particular Name and doing it for all of Netjer.

I love switching it up, Who I perform senut for.  Not that I don't love every moment I spend in front of my Parents, it is really nice to sit and visit with a Beloved or another Name special to me.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.
Fedw Diviner

Sit Down, Parakeet | Twitter

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289138
  • stats Total Topics: 19619
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything