Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 70 days of mourning  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
70 days of mourning
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »
My uncle Jack just passed into the Beautiful West a little over an hour ago. I want to observe the 70 days of mourning, but I don't know much about it. I've looked through the forums, but there isn't a whole lot on the subject. I was wondering if perhaps anyone would be able to point me in the right direction, either to a book, or a website, or even someone knowledgeable on the subject. I didn't want to bother Hemet(AUS) without first going to the forums, so I'm hoping this might help a little. Thanks.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Tarekbast

• Shemsu
Re: 70 days of mourning
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »
I know someone else asked before in the Ask the Nisut thread and she sent her a copy.
-Tarek

Sat Bast
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset her Set

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:12:00 am »
Em hotep Faofeng.

I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. The 70 days corresponds to the length of time that the star Sirius disappears from the horizon. It was also the amount of time that it took to mummify a body.

Currently in our faith, during the 70 days, we reflect on the person's life who has died. There is no standardized rituals or things to do at this time. After the 70 days has passed, the 70 Days Prayers can be read for the dead. If you need a copy of this, I can send it to you.

I developed a personal practice during this time period I thought I would share with you. When someone has died, I light a small white candle and place it next to a statue of Yinepu and let it burn until it is gone. After the visitation and funerals, I like to take the little pamphlet they give out with a picture and information about the deceased and place it in Yinepu's shrine for the length of the 70 days. I make sure his glass is continually filled with rum and say prayers for Him to protect the deceased as they make their way to the Hall of Two Truths. After that, I say the 70 days prayer I then move that pamphlet and (if I have one) put a picture of the deceased on the Akhu altar, asking the Akhu to welcome home their family. Usually on those nights I have visits from the dead and also see a star in the sky that is different from the others.

Senebty,
Raheri
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
I do something similar to what Raheri describes above. If possible, I get a prayer card/funeral program that has a picture of the person, and then I light a "chime" candle periodically during the 70 days and say prayers for the person's safe travel, reflect on memories of happier times, give thanks for what they taught me, whatever comes to mind that it feels like I should do (I have a particular star-shaped candle holder that I only use for this purpose; not for the living and not for my established akhu).

We don't have anything by way of codified ritual for the time between death and the 70th day prayers, but I do like to do a little something regularly. I try for weekly, but sometimes it's less or more frequent, depending on circumstances.

Hope that helps. *hugs*
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:24 am »
Raheri, I was wondering if you would be able to send me the 70 days of mourning prayer? I have a grandson that will be born in the next couple of weeks that has a fatal birth defect. I have Hemet's (AUS) book but if you know of any other appropriate prayer that I can say I would be very appreciative. Thank you.
Ma'ari

MA'ARIHERUAKHETY  (I am successful in Heruakhety.)

Sat Heruakhety Meryt Ptah-Sokar!

Nekhtet!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:36 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about your uncle, Faofeng :(  he'll be in my thoughts

Can I have a copy of the prayer too?  We have a family friend who is in a hospice and does not have long to live because of blood cancer (I can't remember its exact name).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by JadeVal16 »
Sat Djehuty
Meryt Bast her Aset-Seqert

Read, subscribe and follow me on my WordPress page

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:49 pm »
My deepest sympathies Ashley for your uncle's passing West. I pray for his Ka and I pray for yor entire family.

P.S. I can't believe I haven't asked until now, but I would love a copy of the 70 day prayers to keep at work with me. If someone has them, please e-mail them to swogger.stephanie@gmail.com. Many thanks.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285893
  • stats Total Topics: 19380
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything