collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Tarots and Oracles...  (Read 26188 times)

Offline Asetbesai

• Shemsu
Re: Tarots and Oracles...
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:00 am »
My Doors deck came in, which I guess is really good timing as the kids have been playing with my normal deck and actually lost half the cards.  I was rather thrown by the die though.  Not expecting that at all.

Helmsman, I've actually had some pretty decent experiences with the Magic 8 Ball in divination.  As well as a normal deck of cards or 3 normal dice.  I've also worked with Chinese Fortune Sticks and gotten decent results with them too.
AsetBesai "Aset protects/nutures me"
Sat [color:purple]Aset-Serqet[/color] Meryt [color:blue]Bast[/color] her [color:red]Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
[color:green]A beautiful thing is never perfect ~ Egyptian Proverb[/color]

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:50 am »
I've just added the Book of Doors to my Amazon wishlist! :)
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline TadagyterRa

• Shemsu
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »
Have any of you tried this? http://saturness.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-sacred-scarabs-by-detraci-regula.html   the scarabs are kind of cute :)
Tadagyt-er-Ra-Heruakhety (Tadagyt or Dagyt)

Sat Ra-Heruakhety <3
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »
Quote from: TadagyterRa
Have any of you tried this?

I've seen someone else mention them in their blog. I'd have to think if the "rubber" material would bother me or not. It might be better than resin though. Hmmm.
Kemetic Reconnaissance Blog
Shrine Beautiful Inspiring, Enchanting Sacred Spaces.
Kemetic Roundtable Kemetic bloggers giving their perspectives on beginner questions.

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »
Quote from: Besai
Helmsman, I've actually had some pretty decent experiences with the Magic 8 Ball in divination.  As well as a normal deck of cards or 3 normal dice.  I've also worked with Chinese Fortune Sticks and gotten decent results with them too.

Exactly my point. It's more about your practice, spiritual connections, meditation, and what kind of answers you're looking for. Even if it is sold as a toy.

I've also got a Lenormand deck, which I'm holding off using until I'm better at tarot. It looks like it might be better for certain kinds of questions than tarot, but I'd rather not mix them up right away.

It's rather interesting going between the Nefertari deck and the Harmonious Tarot (Walter Crane-inspired artwork). They give similar results, but the Nefertari results seem a little more hardcore. If you use those gold-leafed cards in a sunny room, be prepared to wear your sunglasses! :cool: Yikes!
Kemetic Reconnaissance Blog
Shrine Beautiful Inspiring, Enchanting Sacred Spaces.
Kemetic Roundtable Kemetic bloggers giving their perspectives on beginner questions.

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »
Out of all my egyptian decks, I have the best luck with the Nefertari Tarot.  It is rather shiny, Helms... but that's one of the reasons I like it.   :)

I also recently got The Book of Doors Oracle and am halfway through reading its booklet.  It has way too many references from Budge for my liking but I'm finding the structure of the oracle rather interesting.  I like most of the drawings on the cards but why did they make Bast so ugly-looking?!  It's a crime, I tell ya!  I can't imagine She would be pleased.
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

Offline Asetbesai

• Shemsu
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »
Dagyt, I actually have those, though I don't know where they are.  And since I don't know where they are I'm going to have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with them.

Mezaen, that's good to know about the Budge references.  Not a fan of, well, more his practices than his material, because we all know that it's not really his but his students and interns. :p  Let me know what you think of it once you're finished reading.  I might just put it in the collection portion of my decks rather than the actual usage portion.
AsetBesai "Aset protects/nutures me"
Sat [color:purple]Aset-Serqet[/color] Meryt [color:blue]Bast[/color] her [color:red]Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
[color:green]A beautiful thing is never perfect ~ Egyptian Proverb[/color]

Offline Setken

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 05:41:11 am »
Quote from: Mezaenaset

I also recently got The Book of Doors Oracle. . . I'm finding the structure of the oracle rather interesting.  

I am fascinated by the structure too, and have been using the Book Of Doors for quite some time.

I agree that some of the depictions are not the best, but on the whole, I would have to say that they are a great modern representation of Netjer and Kemetic ideas.

Other elelments that I have wondered about relating to structure are why use cards like Amenta, Prt-em-hru, and Aner-en-rekh when Netjeru could have been utlilised (like Heka for example, or Wepwawet) and the positioning of certain deities in a group (for example Nut in the Eight primoridals group instead of sky, Ausar in the Sun group instead of the Duat group).

It would be great to have access to the creators of the deck to obtain clarity on this.

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 08:30:46 am »
Re. The Book of Doors ( or Book of Pylons, as I call it since that is what the 'doors' refers to ) is THE most powerful Oracle for both meditation and divination I have ever used ( as strong or stronger than the Book of Thoth tarot ) - and I speak as an experienced tarot reader. I didn't find the Budge references relevant to the efficacy of the Oracle ( tho, admittedly, I don't personally consider Budge a 'bogeyman' anyway ). It's 'horses for courses' obviously but I would encourage everyone to give it a serious try! :)
Wenidjehuty - 'Swiftness of Djehuty'

Sa Djehuty mery Wepwawet-Yinepu

"I put the temple of Djehuty in its former condition,
I caused every rite to be as before..."
                                                                Petosiris' Tomb Inscription

Offline Tjebni

• Shemsu
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:40 pm »
I like most of the drawings on the cards but why did they make Bast so ugly-looking?!  It's a crime, I tell ya!  I can't imagine She would be pleased.

I got the Book of Doors Oracle for christmas, And was quite taken a back by the way Bast was drawn, I'm quite a visual person so took a while to get use to this imagery of her, I guess its showing her more ferocious warrior side :)
Senebty,
Tjebni

Sat Serqet-Aset her Bast
Meryt Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, Tefnut, Mut her Nefertem

Online Heruakhetymose

• Rev Jeff - Ordained Clergy, Baku Director
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 09:04:34 am »
It has way too many references from Budge for my liking but I'm finding the structure of the oracle rather interesting.

Meza, I wasn't much of a fan of the introduction of the book either. But once I actually used it, I was quite pleased with the results. ^.^
𓅃𓈌𓏏𓏭𓄟
Rev. Heruakhetymose (Born of Heruakhety)
Son of Heruakhety, Beloved of Ra, Set, and Yinepu-Wepwawet
Contact Info
Kemetic Storytellers

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

Have any of you tried this? http://saturness.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-sacred-scarabs-by-detraci-regula.html   the scarabs are kind of cute :)

I've used these. I used to have the set, but eventually gave it away when I quit doing a lot of divination. I liked it, it was interesting. The scarabs aren't so much rubbery as they are resin-y. The textures and feeling of them didn't really bother me.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:44 am »
Quote from: Devo

I've used these. I used to have the set, but eventually gave it away when I quit doing a lot of divination. I liked it, it was interesting. The scarabs aren't so much rubbery as they are resin-y. The textures and feeling of them didn't really bother me.

-Devo

I couldn't really figure out a way TO use them....I tried a few different ways. Oddly enough what I liked the best was shaking them around in a large, damp (as in, filled it with water, then poured it out) bowl I have, then dumping them out & whatever stuck to the sides was my reading...that worked fairly well as that would leave 2-5 scarabs in the bowl. Didn't really connect with that as much as I have with say tarot, but...

I like the concept, the meanings were cool, I'm just still uncertain on how to use them...I'll definitely keep working on it though...it lacks something....a method.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
I used them a lot like runes. I'd shake them in the bag and pick out a few- and use that as my reading. Or I'd lay out a mat, and flip the bag over it- and read how the scarabs fell.

Like runes :P

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:10 am »
Well yeah like runes, but runes have specific ways of reading them right...? Layouts or whatnot....
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2996
  • stats Total Posts: 288048
  • stats Total Topics: 19524
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything