collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Animal Companions During Senut?  (Read 7265 times)

Offline Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
Animal Companions During Senut?
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »
The question of what to do with one's animal companions during the ritual of Senut came up multiple times in the Beginner's Chat yesterday evening. Kai-Imakhu Sedjemes wisely suggested that I throw the question out there to those of you with fur-kids who have been performing the ritual for awhile, as there didn't seem to be any official decree on the matter. (Thanks again for the advice! :D)

So yes! Do you opt to keep your family members of the feline/canine persuasion in another room? Do you feel that having them with you adds something to the sacred experience? Any humorous pet-related Senut mishaps you'd like to share? *wry grin* I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on the matter.

Also, as I posted this in a Public forum, I'd just like to add this for the Guests -- Please, by all means, feel free to weigh in regarding your thoughts on pets and your own preferred method of worshiping the gods, in whatever form your sacred experience happens to take.

Senebty and my thanks!
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Animal Companions During Senut?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »
Hotep Ekunyi,

I will repeat once more that if at all possible, it probably is not wise to include pets if at all possible. We purify before our shrine rite. Animals do not purify--thus pretty much invalidating the purification.

The Rite is intended to be our time with Netjer. And even the best-behaved pets can be distracting.

That being said--I too would be curious to hear what pet-owners have devised :)

Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »
I have five cats and a dog. One of those cats is insistently attached to me and destructive when she's not allowed to be in the bedroom with me, which is where my shrine is.

The last time I did Senut, I allowed her in the room with me, simply because she'd rattle the closed door and be a very noisy distraction if I didn't. She doesn't go on the altar or touch any of the purified shrine objects, so I figured I was fairly safe.

While I sat before the shrine and meditated, she decided to crawl into my lap and nap, thus keeping me in Senut about twice as long as I would have stayed on my own.

End result: I think, in my case, she helped more than hurt. :)

In a more general sense, I think whether to allow pets in the area during Senut would really depend on the pet's behavior. If the animal is likely to be disruptive or mess with the shrine stuff, I'd recommend against it. If, however, your animal is just going to nap nearby or look out the window, or be obnoxious while kept out of the room, I don't see much harm in letting them in. Personal opinion, of course. Myself, I chose the option that would allow my cat to be the least distracting, but that option will change depending on the person and pet(s) in question.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Emky »
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »
My male cat is very attentive and respectful during senut... he actually likes to have some natron water touched to his forhead and then he sits calmly next to me! My female kitten has not yet been allowed into the room with me during senut due to her bad potty habits.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Hetesibastmut

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
I have found that keeping Bast-Mut's thumbless children away when I am trying to perform Senut is far more disruptive than letting my furbabies have access to the room.  They keep away from the shrine and me, but they very much want to be present.

It seems selfish to keep them from communing with me, too.  

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:21:54 pm »
I do lock my dogs out of the room, but they sit at the door and wait until I am finished. They are very quite so that helps a ton.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Sobekemiti

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »
I've never had this problem as my cats are just not that interested in my shrine space. I think it depends on the pet and how disruptive they're going to be, and what works best for you.

Lady, my previous cat, just didn't care, and never went near my altar or wanted to be close to me during shrine time. She sometimes slept on the pillow at the foot of my altar, but it was more because that's where the sun was, rather than a case of wanting to be close to my shrine.

Dora, my current cat who we've only had a few months, is the same. She's just not interested in my shrine space. I don't think she likes the incense either. She's more likely to go away when I'm doing ritual than want to come in. Because she also likes to be close to me if I'm the only one around, I'm more likely to not do ritual if it'll upset her as she sleeps on my bed, and my shrines are in my bedroom. She's a very nervous cat, and I still think she's a bit anxious about being here and settling in with a third new lot of humans. So I'm more trying to get her settled and comfortable at the moment. If later on she likes me enough to want to be close during ritual, and she's unlikely to disrupt me, sure, she can stay. But right now, it's not a problem.
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy') | Genderfluid (they/them) | Sau Apprentice
mes-en-Sobek Shedety
meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, her Wepwawet
Per Sebek (new url) | Emiti's carrd

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »
I don't have any companion animals any more. But I would like to comment and say that when I did, I considered my cats to be Bast's representatives. Hence no need for them to purify. Of course that is just my personal feeling and in no way represents any kind of House teaching. And I am not great about ritual purity; this is why I don't really do Senut any more. I just do daily devotions... now without the presence of any cats.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »
My cat is welcome near my shrine, but not to touch the objects.  She normally doesn't.  She meows and scratches doors if she is locked out of any room so I always let her sit with me during Senut.  Sometimes, she'll just purr against me while I'm doing Senut.  Most of the time though, she leaves me alone during ritual.  

I also see animals (and so did the ancient Egyptians) as the theophanies of deities.  They are manifestations of deity, their power, their bau.  

Cats are sacred and so are dogs to many of our gods and goddesses.  Cats clean themselves so I think they're clean.  Dogs should probably be bathed first or as clean as possible given how often you bathe your dog.  

As long as they aren't disruptive, distracting or swiping and running away with shrine objects, I don't see why they can't at least sit with someone in shrine.  

Now for one of my stories.  I was highly amused when this happened.  My cat once hopped into the Naos when I took the statue out, sat down and stared at me.  She stayed in there for a few minutes.  I'm not sure if that was a message from Aset or not.  I did wipe out the Naos after my cat left.  Aset comes to me often as a feline and sometimes, my cat is the messenger for her messages even if it's just to say,"I am here".  

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:26:29 am »
I permit my cat to come and go as she pleases. It is much more distracting when she bangs at a closed door and mews, than if I permit her to join me if she pleases.  She typically comes in, sniffs around a bit, and curls up on a blanket I keep on the floor for her.

I do not get the impression that my Parents mind at all, even when I am doing the State rite which requires stricter purity than senut.  Actually, I get the impression that They like it when she comes to visit.

I'm afraid I don't have any humorous mishaps :)  I don't think that having her in shrine with me adds to the experience, but it certainly doesn't detract from it, either.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:26:38 am »
Em hotep!

My cat wants to be in the same room as me- wherever I am or whatever I'm doing.  She's also one of those who will bang on a closed door so I learned early on how disturbing and annoying that can be while in shrine.  

She never disturbs me or the shrine.  She just hops up on the bed and sits there, watching me.  Luckily, I trained her as a kitten not to jump up on tables or counters so I don't have to worry about her messing up the shrines.

Senebty,

~Meza~

Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:34:04 am »
It's not specifically senut-related but definitely ritual/animal related.

I find that, like Taqai, trying to keep Nike (my girl kitty) out of something is more trouble than alowing her to "participate". I haven't worked up to doing *daily* senut, though I do daily devotions- but I am reminded of the times I tried to keep Nike out on the back porch when I went to cast a circle. She howled, scratched at the door and generally made a nuisance of herself while I was prepping, to the point it was defeating the purpose to keep her out there. So I let her in and she took it upon herself to curl her little body directly outside the line of the (invisible) circle.

She has tried to climb into my shrine when the doors were open, but I have a whole shrine room now and the rest of the house for her to roam so I can ninja senut and/or a ritual right past her..

Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:30 am »
It depends on the day and the cat for me.

I have a Siamese. He is loud. Very loud. Sometimes, it's better to just let him in because he will. not. stop. yowling otherwise. I have another cat that likes to sit in shrine with me- for whatever reason. He will purposely seek me out when I go and sit in front of it. I consider him one of Set's familiars, so I figure it is appropriate to let him come in with me.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:13 am »
Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate the input.

I had been curious, because during my own time at shrine (albeit before learning about the official senut ritual) I would always leave the door ajar so Sammi (my cat) could come into the room with me if she wished. Admittedly she wouldn't protest overly much about being kept out, and sometimes preferred not to be in the same space as the lit candles (she's a bit of a spook ^_^), but on other occasions she would come and simply sit next to me, staring up at the shrine, and it felt... very appropriate to have her there.

While I never used natron in the past, I did generally try to take a shower before going to shrine, for what I believe are reasons similar to KO's purification rite. It was an opportunity to physically clean myself, to get myself in a state of mind removed from the "grime" of the day's worries and fears, and emerge physically, emotionally, and perhaps even spiritually  cleansed. The latter two parts seemed to me to be the most significant, as honestly as soon as I stepped from the shower I'd be drying off with a towel that probably hadn't been washed for at least a week and walking across flooring to get to shrine that likely had dustbunnies and hair from myself and the cat unless I vacuumed earlier that day.

So the physical purity... I'd lose that the instant I stepped from the shower. But the spiritual purity and the emotional cleanliness that put me in the right state of mind to speak with a Name, or, as I am attempting now, Netjer in its entirety, remained well through the closure of the ritual.

I simply didn't think that Sammi's presence would take away from either that emotional or spiritual purity, and as she is well-behaved and disinclined to bother me or the shrine itself, I've never felt her to be a distraction in that sacred moment. Another cat or dog, perhaps I'd feel differently.

It seems like many of you have had similar experiences, and I'm exceedingly glad to hear it. ^_^ Thank you, again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:31:37 am by Ekunyi »
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:53 am »
Given the reality of living with even one animal, and being a human animal ourselves that sweats and sheds hairs, perfect physical purity is impossible to keep once the water stops running in the shower/tub. I agree with you here - retaining the emotional, mental, and spiritual purity is very important. Of course, we do our best at physical purity, as well, but given that Senut allows for different levels of purity under certain circumstances, I feel it's reasonable to understand that an animal - especially one who doesn't touch you or your shrine implements while you're in ritual - won't damage the holiness of the space and the rite.

That's my two cents, at least. I'm glad to hear everyone's opinions on this, and that I'm not the only one whose cat is better inside than kept away. :)
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955