collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Animal Companions During Senut?  (Read 7273 times)

Offline Petyu

• Shemsu
Re: Animal Companions During Senut?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:37 am »
What can I say? I have two budgies. One of them avoids my shrin area at all cost. He doesn't even fly over it. My hen insists on perching on the akhu shelf for a few minutes every day and then cleans the netjeri representations I put in one corner of it. Now that she is molting, she doesn't visit, except when I take her in. Seems she doesn't want to shed feathers there when she flies.

Which leads me to an odd thought... for aseparate posting.
- Petyu
Daughter of Nut and Set, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Wesir and Heru-wer

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 10:48:14 am »
Back home I have two dogs. Peanut is older, with some bladder control problems. Angel seems to think that the best way to express her anger is feces. She also has a very extreme tooth decay problem. Because of this, I do my best to keep my dogs out of my bedroom for my own sake, but my shrine is also in there.

Of course, they do wiggle their way in occasionally, but so long as they're being petted, they behave very well, so if they want to be in shrine with me, I let them be there. I worry a little about the ritual purity of performing Senut while petting my pups, but 1. I'm not the best at purity, 2. we bathe both dogs almost weekly, and 3. they're dogs. They do not chose to be pure or not. I don't think that they count in that regard. YMMV. ;)
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar and Wepwawet
Kemetic Humanism / New England Kemetic Organizing

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:50:41 pm »
I have two cats, and I've found that the more I try to keep them away from something, the more fascinated they tend to be by it, so I pretty much let them come and go as they want when I'm at my shrine.  They mostly just want to be near me and watch what I'm doing.  
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 02:33:38 am »
Nox has always been attracted to the energy of my performing a ritual or rite.  I first noticed it when she was about 4 months old.  She likes it better than catnip.  I have moved often, but pretty much always have lived in a single room.  When I was in a bigger place with roommates, Nox stayed in our room by choice to avoid the other cat.  Now we're in a small studio.  Confining her in the bathroom would be out of the question due to the miserable noise that she would make.  

Typically, she hangs out with me when I do senut.  She rubs, and occasionally gets in my face.  I just focus on senut, and push her away if she gets intrusive (without being harsh on her, or loosing focus on the ritual).  After one or two pushes she usually gets the idea and lies down next to me.  Additionally, feeding some gooshy food right before hand will give some additional time of kitteh distractedness.

She's a long hair, I'm a long hair...there is hair all over the shrine cloth.  This bothers me the most.  Unfortunately, due to our living situation, it can't be prevented, but it can be remedied.  I have gotten the impression from Bast that I am to do the best with what I can.  At this time, total purity isn't possible to maintain for more than 5 minutes (seriously... too much hair), but we do what we can.  Regular cleanings and aligator clamps to keep my shrine cloth up help.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Shayi

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 05:07:26 pm »
Well, I have a wonderful lovely dog who is ever so laid back.  I don't have him in the room when I am spending time with Netjer, mainly because he will either keep trying to get back out of the room again, or come over and lick me or something silly!
~~Shayiwepwawet~~ (Wepwawet sends me)

sat Wepwawet-Yinepu, meryt Bast-Mut her Ptah

Offline Tamiwi

• Rev Danielle, Ordained Priest
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »
Hotep!

Always a fun question and discussion to read :)

Out of four cats, two are regulars to the shrine area. One is quiet vocal and tends to walk in and out a lot, the other--once there--usually stays there. Because they tend to draw my attention away from Netjer, sometimes, with the mewing and the wanting to leave / come back in / leave / come back in I often keep the door shut. They are, of course, very welcome by Netjer. While I am out of shrine, however, they don't pay it much mind but to sleep in front of it.

Enjoying everyone's stories!
W'abet Nekhen Miu Wer
Sat Bast her Ra her Hekatawy I (AUS)
*Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Sa-Aset her Nebthet*
Fedw Diviner | Heri-sesheta Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955