collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Personal Question  (Read 2339 times)

Personal Question
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:19:17 am »
It's been a fairly long time since I've been on here, and out of the blue I decided to come on here and look for a little advice. In truth I left after I took the beginners class to think through everything and as much as I thought I had come to the conclusion that I was an atheist, deep down there's something that keeps tuging me back here and I'm not sure exactly what to do. On one hand I've had trouble accepting something without definative proof, but at the same time it feels like I keep being tugged back... so ultimately I'm here to ask for advice on what might be the best way to resolve this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:43:51 am by Tobi »

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Personal Question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:41:45 am »
Em hotep Tobi

Many of us, including priests, have our times of doubt, and questioning. I think honestly a dose and three of cynicism and even moments of disbelief keep us centered and grounded and may, oddly, enhance our faith.

If I might suggest, you, I and each of us have to make the first decision whether or not we *choose* to be people of faith. In my own case, I just keep up with thinking that God exists.  Even in those personal times, eons ago, of thinking I did not need a community of faith in order to talk with God, and in the times of not being certain God was anywhere near me at a given moment, I just decided that I was "ok" with the thought that God exists.

I have been asked about that, point-blank. Someone dear to me who does not believe in God's existence, contentedly so, has asked me several times over the years, how I could wake up believing God created the world. I mulled that over, trying to think of *the* definitive answer, and even tried to analyze if I really truly believed. My response always ended up, every time, being "How can anyone wake up *not* believing God created all life."  

And that kind of sums it up for me.

I decided I would *be* a person of faith in God. Just as the person dear to me decided to be a person that does not believe in God's existence.

It's ok to not believe ;) It's ok to doubt that one believes. It's ok to *think* one does not believe but feel a pull that may indicate one *should* believe. It's ok to feel the need to walk away because of disbelief. :)
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:27:43 am »
Tobi,

I do not believe with absolute certainty that the gods exist. I would say that most days, I'm only 60% certain that They are real. Some days more, some days less. I can assure you (from conversations I have had with other Remetj and Shemsu, and a multitude of threads in the private forums) that we aren't alone in this!

I think you should keep exploring. it's a good community, even for those of us who are by in large questioning our faith.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar and Wepwawet
Kemetic Humanism / New England Kemetic Organizing

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »
I used to not beleive in any gods, but now many years later i do, and i may not know how earth or why it was created, and why we are here, why gods exist but .. i am just going to focus on enjoying what is here and that is enough for me.
My gods give me enough love to make me never want to ask another question again  about this issue, as everything feels perfect, other times i can be angry and annoyed .. as life can feel so cruel.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:04:31 pm by Blissi »

Offline Yineputjeheni

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:57:51 pm »
em hotep Tobi.

I too have a hard time accepting things without "proof", but what type of proof are you seeking?  The Netjeru will not come booming down from the sky in visible form to inscribe omens in stone before a crowd of witnesses- that is not how the divine works.  They operate on a different plane of existence, communicating when and how They can.  The only real proof one can provide is the personal experiences of life.  You get to decide if those collective moments have greater meaning, and if you do, they are relevant only to you.

One of the main aspects of life that brings me to believe in God is the existence of consciousness.  What purpose does it serve and why would certain creatures develop different levels of it?

senebty
sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Aset-Serqet her Nut

"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live."  -Josh Homme

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3506
  • stats Total Posts: 304406
  • stats Total Topics: 21165
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal