collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Daily Practice  (Read 5322 times)

Offline HeryHeru

• Shemsu
Daily Practice
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:08 pm »
Sorry if this topic already exists, but I did not find
I read a few things about the KO, the majority of the content was scarce in Portuguese that I read. However, I found what I needed most, which are ritualistic practices Kemetic an individual, such as readings of texts or simply "life is like a daily Kemetic" I wish this were unclear.
A doubt: All texts, prayers, invocations and incantation are in the Egyptian language or can I do in my own language? Because I think some prayers and texts has been to keep the original language (the Egyptian) in order to maintain the strength of the word. Am I right?

Thank you very much
𓅃𓁷𓂋𓏭𓇯𓀀
Sa Heru-Wer, Meri Aset-Serqet her Set

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
Re: Daily Practice
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:36:24 pm »
Hotep!

Daily rite (senut) is usually performed in your native language.  Hemet has stated that this rite is not ancient in origin (it was created at Sekhmet's request so that we have a way to relate to Netjer).  Also daily personal practice is up to you regarding what you do (it is not required to be done a specific way as state ritual is).  Regarding language, you are not required to use Egyptian language when reciting prayers in Kemetic Orthodoxy.  You are welcome to do so if you feel the need, however most members do not as it requires part of your attention to make sure you're pronouncing the words correctly (and mentally translate them), which detracts from focusing on Netjer.

Hope that helps.  ^_^
Senebty,
Imti
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:16:02 pm by Imyutimuti »
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
Quote from: Imyutimuti
Hotep!

Daily rite (senet) is usually performed in your native language.

Psst:  Senet is the board game.  Senut is the rite.  Just so no one gets too confused.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:15:22 pm »
Quote from: TahekerutAset
Quote from: Imyutimuti
Hotep!

Daily rite (senet) is usually performed in your native language.

Psst:  Senet is the board game.  Senut is the rite.  Just so no one gets too confused.  

Heh...yet another example that spelling and posting first thing in the morning don't mix..... thanks for the correction!  ^_^

Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:58:33 am »
I dont' know of many people (if any) that regularly perform rituals completely in ancient Egyptian. Most Kemetics I know don't know that much Egyptian- so it's done in their native language.

I can understand the point that the ancient language/words would hold more power, and they would probably sound prettier too. But at the end of the day, I am not proficient in the language, and would rather not butcher it ;) So I stick with English.

If you need things translated, bing or google do have translators available. Which might work for what you need.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:18 am »
Quote from: Devo

I can understand the point that the ancient language/words would hold more power, and they would probably sound prettier too.  

Only if you are fluent in a language. Otherwise you are just reciting words without really knowing what they mean. And in most cases the words would probably sound very different than supposed to be
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
That's something that I always wonder, that no matter what do we actually know if we're saying the words correctly...?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:29:12 pm »
Quote from: Tanebet

Only if you are fluent in a language. Otherwise you are just reciting words without really knowing what they mean. And in most cases the words would probably sound very different than supposed to be

Hence why I followed this statement up with "I stick with English". :)

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
That's something that I always wonder, that no matter what do we actually know if we're saying the words correctly...?

I have wondered this myself. Even with the names of the gods, or things we've translated and take as truth. What if we've gotten a lot of it wrong? I always try to keep an open mind because there is the possibility that we've gotten things completely wrong. Or that we'll discover something tomorrow that totally shifts what we think we know about AE and it's history.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:19:09 pm »
I think it's the intent of the heart behind the words that counts... That's why it doesn't really matter if we are pronouncing the words correctly ( and we may never know how the Kemetic language would have sounded anyway ). It is good to get it as accurate as we can but Netjer/ Netjeru know our intent and heart...

Senebty,
Alexander
Wenidjehuty - 'Swiftness of Djehuty'

Sa Djehuty mery Wepwawet-Yinepu

"I put the temple of Djehuty in its former condition,
I caused every rite to be as before..."
                                                                Petosiris' Tomb Inscription

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »
Quote from: Devo

Hence why I followed this statement up with "I stick with English". :)
-Devo

My statement was in reference to people thinking they have to use ancient languages,  
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »
Hotep Alexander,

In the case of ritual, it is in fact very important that the words are completely understood even as spoken. What is in the heart matters when one is talking from the heart.

But for heka purposes, the words themselves, the sound of them, their pronunciation, the understanding of them, is very important. That is in part why rituals are never memorized, not in antiquity nor now. Being careful not to miss a word or say words not actually written is significant.

Ancient Egyptian is simply the language of antiquity. Our language is whatever it is for us...it comes from our heart, through our vocal cords and out our mouth. Speech is all of that, the words are "written" in our minds whether silent or not. They must be accurate and understood for heka to be meaningul.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:31 pm »
Em hotep!

Yes, of course it's important to be as accurate as possible...and Senut must be attempted to be articulated as accurately as possible because it was laid down that way, precisely, to Hemet (AUS). My point was, that in articulating the Kemetic tongue - or in making an error in my own language - I'm not going to 'beat myself up' over it because Netjer knows my heart's intent... If one's own child mispronounces 'I love you', we wouldn't reject the sentiment - how less then would Netjer reject our own human frailties and errors...?
Senebty,
Alex
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:22:55 pm by Alexander »

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 08:34:50 pm »
Hotep Alexander :)

In that you are correct. That's why I don't try praying in Kemetic,and why our Senut (and other state rituals like at New Year's) is not in Kemetic. I don't want extra stuff between me and Netjer.

Senebty!
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 08:55:30 pm »
Hotep!

Agreed! :) For Netjer not to overlook our involuntary mistakes would make Netjer not a divine 'parent' but a tyrant - and who would love a tyrant...?

Senebty,
Alex

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3506
  • stats Total Posts: 304406
  • stats Total Topics: 21165
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal