Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 79
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Insight on Set  (Read 13068 times)

Offline Tjebni

• Shemsu
Insight on Set
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:00:35 am »
Em Hotep! :D

I feel Set has been coming into my life recently, I have been experiencing some chaos in my life since Christmas, I've tried hard to put Set at the back and ignore him, But he has been niggling there for a long time so I gave in, and have been reading about him quite a lot.

Well my question really is, What are your experiences with Set? If he is your Parent/Beloved, Did you expect him to turn up? What is he like? :D

Thanks very much!
Senebty
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:39:23 am by Senka »
Senebty,
Tjebni

Sat Serqet-Aset her Bast
Meryt Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, Tefnut, Mut her Nefertem

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Insight on Set
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:15:13 am »
Set is whatever Set wants to be. He can be chaotic, he can be calm. He can be mean, he can be overly nice. He kinda is what you need him to be, in my experience.

You've already experienced one part of him (that I have experienced as well) -that if he wants your attention, he will do whatever it takes to get it from you. There is no ignoring him, from what I can tell. It's better to 'give in' and approach him than to try and put him out of your brain. It just doesn't work that way.

If you want more historical information on him, the best book out there is "Set, God of Confusion" by Te Velde. Usually, you can find it on Scribd (the book is out of print, and very very hard to find).

Otherwise, my advice would be to ask him what it is he wants from you. Usually, he shows up for a reason, to potentially unstagnate your life, or to help you move into a better position in life. Usually, his lessons aren't easy, but they are worth it, and I would argue- necessary.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Tarekbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »
I didn't expect Set to show up as my beloved, but afterwards, I think maybe I should have. He does tend to make my life...interesting, but usually in a good way, once the dust clears at least. I've gotten him as calm mostly, just kind of a hanging out vibe.
-Tarek

Sat Bast
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset her Set

Offline Djeriwepwawet

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:42 pm »
Set showed up in my life for a time to teach me assertiveness, and teach me to set my boundaries more clearly and be a little more self-interested (I used to be really codependent and self-sacrificing in unhealthy ways). And then He passed me back to Wepwawet.

I am really fond of Set. I always got him as having this kind of dry humor, with a firm presence and a refusal to accept excuses. I think Ekunyi once said Set was a bit like her sensei - and that's kind of how I experienced Him. A little bit drill sergeant, a little bit sensei - the kind of sensei who knocks you on your butt over and over again until you get it, and is not sympathetic to complaints and who pushes you to your limits, past what you thought you could do and instead to what you can do.
Djeriwepwawet, "Wepwawet is Strong"
sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Bast-Mut
formerly Meirya (Dani)

LiveJournal * Dreamwidth * Dreams of Horn

Offline ASH

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:41:45 pm »
Set is also strength.  He Himself is very strong.  He has been a big part of my life for the last 2 years.  I suffer from chonic nerve pain on the entire right half of my body.  there have been days where i had trouble walking or even sleeping. I can not truly remember a day in the last 2 years where i have not hurt, or limped where i had to use a cane.  I found a beautiful statue of Set for my shrine.  I speak with Him daily and feel that His influence, love, support have helped me greatly as i find it in me to still work 40+ hours per week, get all errands done and even play with my kids (even playing soccer). Am i beloved of Set?  I believe I am as i feel His strength within me, helping me push through my days and getting things done for myself and my family.  I praise Him.
"He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet."

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:59:41 pm »
Set is neither my Parent or Beloved, but I do honor Him.  

He is amazing.  He's strong, blunt, and kind when needed.  

Here's an excellent song written and performed by Ekunyi called Dua Set: http://www.mediafire.com/?h69b5zeghk50jdy
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Hentyhotep

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »
Em Hotep Senka *henu*

I agree with what the others have said about my Father.  He may be harsh or chaotic but it is never without His own unique brand of love.  

He is the protector par excellence.  In terms of His protection, though, it is not only protection from outside forces which he bestows but also protection against the ugliness within your self.  Be prepared for the truth without political correctness if you call upon His Name. He does not powder up the flaws of the world but expects you to face the world and yourself with unwavering honesty.  Such lessons in truth, although sometimes strife provoking, are ultimately furthering to Maat.  He is tough but He is not cynical, bitter or psychotic and yet he does have a wonderfully wicked sense of humor.  

I was actually hesitant about developing a relationship with Set but was not surprised He was one of my Fathers since I had sensed Him around me all my life.

Let me know if you have more specific questions and I'd also be glad to answer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:58:26 am by Hentyhotep »
Hentyhotep
"The Two Sides are Reconciled"
Sa Wesir her Set; mery Wepwawet-Yinepu her Ra-Heru-akhety

Online Sarytsenuwi

• Rev Kaitlyn, Ordained Clergy - Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:49:22 pm »
Though I'm still waiting to officially graduate from the Beginner's class, and thus have not officially learned of my Parents and Beloveds, the way I feel towards Set is definitely that of both student and child. I respectfully refer to him as Father and Teacher at times, so has He influenced my life.

The following is, of course, all UPG:

Set showed up when I least expected it, in the middle of the work day, a mental voice that wouldn't let up no matter how I tried to shove it away. He refused to let me dismiss Him, or try to logic Him away, as He would keep mentioning little coincidences and idiosyncrasies right before they occurred, and then laughed in His deep, booming chest-shaking rumble when I, essentially incapable of believing in anything spiritual at that time, was astonished over and over again.

Since that day, whether I liked it or not, I have been His. (And I'd ditto Devo's comment that it's best just to listen -- He tends to swing the theoretical "clue-by-four" pretty solidly if you put things off for too long.) He led me out of a stagnant, unhealthy relationship in which I had allowed my boundaries and personal needs to wither away for years. He convinced me to stand up for myself against individuals I never thought I could hold ground against. He has given me His strength before I even knew I needed it on days when emergencies required me to remain calm. He has pushed me to my limits, broken me down, and I genuinely believe He has made me into someone better, someone proud of who she is, capable of standing up for what she wants, knowing what she needs.

He is what I have needed Him to be, even if I couldn't see it at the time. He has been a strict, unyielding teacher when I was being stubborn and needed a kick in the behind to get moving. Yet He is just as capable of protecting and holding me, an incredibly paternal, sturdy, calming presence in the worst of moments, a rock to cling to, a wall between me and the world when it feels like everything is simply too much. And there's such a fire in Him when I've been hurt, a burning anger behind the calm. It reminds me that I am worth something to this amazing, incredible Name, that I am loved enough to enrage Him when someone has hurt me. It reminds me at these moments, my lowest points, that I have personal value, personal worth.

Interacting with Him, well it varies. He's always been the easiest to talk to of all the Names I've interacted with thus far, and has always seemed very tangible, very embodied. (To explain this better I'll compare Him to Nut, who I never really sense as contained within a form, but instead feel as this vast, surrounding presence.) With Set, it's almost like He's there with me, I know where He is in the room, that sort of thing.

He's run me through martial arts drills when I'm in shrine, and the movement, the focus, the strength, all become part of my personal form of praise. We've also just chatted over a drink. There's a sort of casual "hanging out" vibe I'll get from Him on occasion, a sense that He's more "human" in His emotions than some of the other Names I've spoken with, more capable of understanding my foibles, errors, tempers, what have you. And goodness, his jokes. They're awful, in the best of ways. Bawdy references, TERRIBLE puns, and He'll Just. Keep. Going.

But anyway, I've gone on forever with this, and have largely repeated what those above have already said. But I do hope it helped a bit!

(Also, a giant thank you to TahekerutAset for the compliment regarding my song. It's very much appreciated. ^_^)

One more add on: While I'll offer a second vote for the significance of Te Velde, you might also check out this .pdf put together by Meriset on the Kemetic Interfaith Network forums: http://www.kemetic.info/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2846&gonew=1#UNREAD
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:13:11 pm by Ekunyi »
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Setken

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »
Quote from: Ekunyi
. . . you might also check out this .pdf put together by Meriset on the Kemetic Interfaith Network forums: http://www.kemetic.info/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2846&gonew=1#UNREAD

Yes, this really is excellent.

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:36:06 pm »
I have had 3 experiences of Set.. well 4.( that I know of ) I got his birthday wrong the once and HE laughed a treat, I didnt realise why it was so funny until I re read the calendar.
The first was when I was in agony, and was in a split mind to go to Accident and Emergency, but I couldnt actually move to get my phone because I hurt so much -_-
He arrived with Sekhmet, and they announced who they were, and i am glad they did because their joint energies would have been too hard for me to figure out.
Basically, I had an hour of pain being soothed, enough so that i could move and take medication which prevented any further need for pain releif.
2nd time was me saying thank you, with rum and coke as he had suggested. I felt him so strongly it was almost scarey, but I was so grateful I nearly cried.. and then cracked bad jokes to cover it up lol

More recently, I offered him rum and coke to say hi, and try and learn to chill out with my netjer more often. He appreciated it.
I am not divined so I cant say wether his is a parent, beloved or just awesome.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:37:14 pm by Blissi »

Offline Tjebni

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:39 am »
Wow, Thanks everyone for your responses! I enjoyed reading through them all :) I have read that Pdf by Meriset and thoroughly enjoyed it. Im currently going through Te Velde's book on him. I am thoroughly enjoying it and learning more about him.

It's quite refreshing his energy, I've never experienced anything like it, and when I gave him an offering I was just honest, said everything and it was very emotional but felt great. In my life as well I'm fed up of crap and liars (to be blunt) And had a horrible job which I was recently let go of, It was mixed feelings but in the end, something that had to happen because I was really unhappy there and on the state of depression. Everything you have all said about him, is my impression of him so far. :) He is just so different to any other Netjeru I experienced (The main one being his mother Nut which leads me to this question)

What are your thoughts on his relationship with his mother Nut? You see she is one of the main Netjeru that I honor and what I read so far, It gives me the impression that there relationship isn't exactly a strong one.
Senebty,
Tjebni

Sat Serqet-Aset her Bast

Offline Meket

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:53:54 am »
I had a feeling Set would show up in my Family - He is very vocal with me and makes His presence very much known.

My experiences with Him have been similar to what others have described.  He is forceful with me, but never cruel.  He pushes me to be better, to move past bad experiences, to learn from mistakes, to keep going.  He does not tolerate my weakness - not that He doesn't allow it, but that He will not let me dwell on it.  He is the brute strength that drags me kicking and screaming out of my bouts of depression and feelings of helplessness and He won't take no for an answer.  The quote in my signature is from Him, as well, from one of the most personal and powerful experiences I have had with Him.  

From my own experience, asking Him what He wants of me has never been a bad thing.  He's never been quiet about His intentions like some of my other Beloveds have been, and when He's in the mood He seems to almost enjoy chatting (though some of that may be berating me for being mopey).

On a personal note, He and Satet are a regular tag team as well.  She is as intolerant of my bouts of misery as He is, and They are quite happy to broadcast Their displeasure.

Overall, I just think He is spectacular, like Everyone I have encountered thus far!  He is powerful, beautiful, incredible, and having Him in my Family has been an experience and a half.  :)
Meketserqet
Serqet Protects / Serqet's Protection
Sat [color:red]Serqet-Aset[/color], Meryt [color:blue]Set, Heru-wer, Djehuty,[/color] her [color:blue]Satet[/color]!

"No more tears," He said.  "Only your strength will do."

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
Quote from: Meket
when He's in the mood He seems to almost enjoy chatting (though some of that may be berating me for being mopey).

I've noticed this too. However, once I was in shrine... going on and on and on.. and he told me to shut up and get on with things lol. It was interesting.

In regards to Nut, I've not had a lot of experience with her, and although I've worked with Aset, Ausir, and Set- I've never really seen them  mention Nut... which is interesting/odd. Who knows, maybe I'm not meant to connect with her on a more personal level.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Tjebni

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:46:34 am »
Quote from: TahekerutAset
Set is neither my Parent or Beloved, but I do honor Him.  

He is amazing.  He's strong, blunt, and kind when needed.  

Here's an excellent song written and performed by Ekunyi called Dua Set: http://www.mediafire.com/?h69b5zeghk50jdy

Just listened to this now and Wow, So Beautiful & Powerful!! Gave me goosebumps!
I think I listened to one of your song's about Nut too which is beautiful :) Your voice is so lovely <3
Senebty,
Tjebni

Sat Serqet-Aset her Bast

Offline Meket

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:11 pm »
Quote from: Devo
I've noticed this too. However, once I was in shrine... going on and on and on.. and he told me to shut up and get on with things lol. It was interesting.

*laughs*  Yeah, there's been a few times where I've just rambled on and on and on, gushing about Him and the rest of my Family, and suddenly I've gotten the odd feeling that He's just standing there, tapping His foot with His arms crossed over His chest, with a very "Are you done yet?" look on His face.  It's been a very powerful lesson in learning when to cut to the chase.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:47:48 pm by Meket »
Meketserqet
Serqet Protects / Serqet's Protection
Sat [color:red]Serqet-Aset[/color], Meryt [color:blue]Set, Heru-wer, Djehuty,[/color] her [color:blue]Satet[/color]!

"No more tears," He said.  "Only your strength will do."

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289027
  • stats Total Topics: 19611
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217