collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Getting to know Ra  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Shezep_shuty

Getting to know Ra
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »
So, I got Ra as one of my fathers. It wasn't that much of a surprise because he has been meddling with me for years. The problem is that I still don't really 'get' him.

I know Heru-sa-aset inside and out, but Ra still seems a bit foreign to me. One moment he seems all harsh and I have no idea what he wants from me, and then he's watching the Sherlock movie with me and laughing his butt off over Robert Downy Jr. in drag. He's not as easy to talk to either. I have to shift my mind a bit to understand what he's trying to get across. (Having him hang around for two hours during the movie wore me out.) Heru on the other hand, will chat about just about anything.

Does anyone else have any stories or insights about Ra that might help?

Does anyone else have a parent who baffles them?
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Tamiwi

• Rev Danielle, Ordained Priest
  • W'ab (priest)
Re: Getting to know Ra
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »
Em Hotep!

Like you, when I discovered Ra was one of my Parents I, too, was a little confused. To me Ra is so large, so encompassing, so present in everyone's lives that I never suspected that he would play such a role in my life. Since then, however, he has made such a powerful and positive impact that I find myself humbled and surprised I didn't see it all along! Like Heru-Sa-Aset for you, I was very familiar with Bast, and so I'd love to share what I can about him.

I get the image of Ra as the Father of Fathers, the one who birthed humanity through the tears of his eyes. He can be sober, but he so loves his children that he often plays an active role in their life--like sharing your mirth at the movies. Usually whatever I find pleasing he finds pleasing, and like any relationship with a Parent it moves both ways--what you give you recieve. You can always discover more about him by interacting in the community, by performing humble acts out of love, just as he does. He is very cyclitical and seems to enjoy routine--perhaps honoring him at the same time each day would work. Most importantly, though, feed your Ka and so at the same time you will be closer to him; for he wants to see you succeed in life and take pleasure in the beauty that is his day. Commanding as he is of respect, he also may seem stern at the times where firmness is needed. We invest ourselves something so emotionally in something we loose track of what we need to really focus on.

At any rate, its so wonderful to share these stories. Sibling hugs!
W'abet Nekhen Miu Wer
Sat Bast her Ra her Hekatawy I (AUS)
*Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Sa-Aset her Nebthet*
Fedw Diviner | Heri-sesheta Bast

Offline Huyitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »
YES, another Ra kid, excellent.   :D

Ra is big, really really big. The more you learn about him the less you understand him, he is like a vast ocean forever turning and churning up secrets and truths then swallowing them back into himself never to be seen again. Yet in many ways, he is the simplest god. He is the one that give out life and makes it possible and so he wants you to live it.

Tamiwi is spot on about that and order. Ra really likes order, routine, and satiability. I also find he is easier to connect to outside in gardens or nature areas though that could just be me.
Son of Wesir and Ra, Beloved of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline TadagyterRa

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »
I'm loving this thread. All the things you said apply to my Dad as well. :)

Tadagyt-er-Ra-Heruakhety (Tadagyt or Dagyt)

Sat Ra-Heruakhety <3
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Rev. Mose

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Het-Netjer (Temple Director)
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:29 am »
I'd certainly have to agree that Ra is *very* big. You can see that even by looking at His physical manifestations. Light is currently spread throughout our universe, so in that sense, He is as big as the universe itself! :D

I actually had my first contact with Him a few weeks before my RPD. I found him to be surprisingly easy to get to know, especially when I began looking back on the happy memories of my childhood. He seemed to enjoy those as much as I did. It also helps to get a little extra sunshine into your shrine if you can. ^.^

He is certainly different from the various Herus. I don't have a lot of experience with Heru-sa-Aset, but I do with Heru-wer and Heruakhety. Ra is very much 'older' (in many senses of the word), but He is and always will be very strong and full of life. He seems to be slower to take action, preferring to think things through first or to have someone else handle the situation for themselves with His guidance. I also get even more of a royal/regal/refined feeling from Him than I do from the Herus. He's very proper, but He does still know how to relax and have a good time as well. ^.^

As others have mentioned, He is very much about life. Living life and making the most of it is what He loves most. That is the greatest offering one can give Him. :D

That's my experience with Him and how I see Him personally. ^.^
𓅃𓈌𓏏𓏭𓄟
Rev. Heruakhetymose (Born of Heruakhety)
Daughter of Heruakhety, Beloved of Ra, Set, and Yinepu-Wepwawet
Contact Info
Kemetic Storytellers

Offline TadagyterRa

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:57:33 am »
Quote from: Heruakhetymose
He seems to be slower to take action, preferring to think things through first or to have someone else handle the situation for themselves with His guidance. I also get even more of a royal/regal/refined feeling from Him than I do from the Herus. He's very proper, but He does still know how to relax and have a good time as well. ^.^

You know, I'd love to read your description on your Father, because what you just wrote about Ra describes Dad perfectly.
I've always said that my Father seems to be sitting on his throne supervising while other netjeru deal with me :crazy: so at the moment, I have Hethert of course, Yinepu, Wepwawet and Sekhmet, each dealing with a specific part or activity of my life. And he's there, watching and guiding the others.

I do think he feels a bit younger than Ra, stronger and sometimes has a pinch of Heru-wer's sense of humor too... ok I guess I've just answered myself   :grin:
Tadagyt-er-Ra-Heruakhety (Tadagyt or Dagyt)

Sat Ra-Heruakhety <3
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:21:19 pm »
Ra scares me, a little. Not serial killer scary, mind you. I feel Him as something so old and strong and primal. There is just so much energy and knowledge there!

My only major experience with Him, I think, is part of why He scares me so much. He showed me something I was afraid to admit, and laid all the options in front of me, straightforwardly informing me that I needed to take action, that I wasn't a child anymore, and Netjer wasn't there to do everything for me. I felt so small in front of Him, but it was a comfort to get such brutal honesty.

That's my experience with baffling. Beat me up and then patted me on the head, He did. :]

Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar and Wepwawet
Kemetic Humanism / New England Kemetic Organizing

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:45:05 pm »
I am getting better about the routine part. I've needed to get one in place for awhile. I downloaded some software a couple days ago that puts a big calendar on my desk and nags me to keep to a schedule.

Last night I pulled out the cards and had each of my parents and beloveds use one card to tell me what they wanted to say. Four of them were happy with how things were going, but Ra decided to lecture me about losing my temper earlier in the day. I guess it's good to have that reality check there in the line up. (Not that the others weren't genuinely happy, of course.)

I also get more of the regal vibe with him than I do with Heru.
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:06 am »
Em hotep, everyone.

How interesting to read all your experiences of Ra. Amun-Ra is one of my beloveds, and I do find that He can be quite strict in respect of things like ritual purity and regular senut. He  will quite firmly chide me with "What have you done for your Father today?". He seems genuinely happy for me to put Wepwawet first, but He is definitely the One Who will not take feeble excuses for what He sees as "Spiritual laziness". I would describe Him as firm but loving, and sort of in the background in an overseeing sort of way.

Learning more about Ra from His children has been very helpful. Thank you :).

Senebty,
Ni.
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal