Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 86
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Statue adaptation  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Hester

• Divined Remetj
Statue adaptation
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:26:41 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes. Say that one is unable to find a figure of Wepwawet, but that one can find a Yinepu/Anubis. What adaptations could one make to the Yinepu figure to make it more Wepwawet-y? Painting it? Perhaps adding a bow or other weapon?

From what I've seen online in terms of available statuary, I figure that someone must have had to do this before!
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Hethert-Sekhmet
Beloved of Bast and Tefnut

Livejournal
Facebook

"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Statue adaptation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »
I've found He's quite amenable to your standard jackal statues if you are unable to find anything which is specifically Wepwawet. He IS Yinepu/Anubis as well, after all.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Hester

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:46:04 pm »
That's good to know, but how would I go about, I don't know, sort of marking it as Wepwawet when, as will be likely, it's quite near to another jackal statue of Yinepu/Anubis?
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Hethert-Sekhmet
Beloved of Bast and Tefnut

Livejournal
Facebook

"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:20:47 pm »
There are a couple of things you could do. The most obvious choice for either an anthropomorphic or animal-form statue is to write the glyphs for Wepwawet's name if there's a good place to do so. If we're talking traditional depictions that's really the only way to differentiate the anthropomorphic forms of Wepwawet and Anubis.

Otherwise, try to find a statue of a couchant jackal which isn't lying on top of a shrine/box. While there are depictions of Wepwawet on a shrine, it is an image more strongly connected with Anubis. If you're the crafty type, you could then make an elevated standard for the jackal to lie on, which really would make it more Wepwawet-y. (And attach some streamers to the pole, his standards frequently had them.)

Another option if you're crafty is you could sculpt a shedshed to place at his forepaws and/or a uraeus. There would be absolutely no mistaking him for Anubis then!

You could also indeed sculpt him a mace or a bow to place alongside him in jackal form as a personal touch. (I'd recommend a mace as that's the weapon which tends to be shown crossing through the pole of his standard, although some arrows would be appropriate as well.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bezenwepwy »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Senusenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:56:08 pm »
Em hotep

Wepwawet is one of my fathers. To signify Him, I got a "custom" jackal headed man statue, just like any Yinepu statue, that was painted black with silver accenting where gold would normally go. It works out quite well for me, and for the Yinepu side of Him I have standard jackal statues. I don't think He necessarily minds, but I like having the statues different. His statue is also the biggest one I have, maybe 15 inches tall, so He stands above everyone else.

Hope that helps.

Senebty
sa Wepwawet-Yinepu her Set, mery Khonsu, Heru-wer her Bast

Senusenu "Companion of Two" Divined 01/21/09, named 01/28/09

Eljay

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:21:38 pm »
Bleh, I'm having a similar issue with a different Netjer. Would it be considered thread-jacking to ask about possible statue adaptations for Him?
Greetings Bast, lovely Eye of Ra,
you are what shelter is to a wanderer
in the desert when night sets
and the dangerous beasts come out.

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:05 pm »
Not that I'm a moderator, but I would ask away ;)
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline TadagyterRa

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:51 am »
I think I've done something to most of the ones I own... especially Seshat (it was a Hethert statue and I got rid of the horns and disk), but with Wepwawet, I painted his head gray and that was it :)  here: http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj522/dagyt/IMG-20120710-00085.jpg

My Seshat http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj522/dagyt/IMG-20120710-00083.jpg

If you can't find what you want, well... do it yourself :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TadagyterRa »
Tadagyt-er-Ra-Heruakhety (Tadagyt or Dagyt)

Sat Ra-Heruakhety <3
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 02:01:03 am »
Yes, colour is also the other thing.

Wepwawet is a very solar deity, so you could always pick an all gold statue for him and one of the black ones for Anubis. (Both have solar and chthonic aspects, but Wepwawet is more strongly on the solar side.)

Some people do paint the head grey. This is more of a modern thing to do however because if we're talking traditional, he was just as much of a black jackal as Anubis.
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Tamiwi

• Rev Danielle, Ordained Priest
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:07:43 am »
Hotep!

I know we spoke in chat about it so you seem to have an idea you want to go with, but additional things to signify which statue is for which is also in the offerings. You could give him things that remind you of Wepwawet :)
W'abet Nekhen Miu Wer
Sat Bast her Ra her Hekatawy I (AUS)
*Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Sa-Aset*
Fedw Diviner | Heri-sesheta Bast

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:33:08 pm »
Well, I hope nobody minds me asking. . .

I've been looking for statues I could adapt for Atum. Right now all I have for him is a serpent netsuke. I'd like to get something, I dunno, a bit more evocative of a pharaoh. The only stuff I've found that looks halfway promising is from Abaxion. (Here's a link to it: http://www.abaxion.com/ut185.htm) I've heard lots of complaints about them, though, and so I'm wary. :\\

Any suggestions for good adaptations?
in the desert when night sets
and the dangerous beasts come out.

Offline TadagyterRa

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:08:16 pm »
90% of my stuff comes from Abaxion :) never had problems with them.

Tadagyt-er-Ra-Heruakhety (Tadagyt or Dagyt)

Sat Ra-Heruakhety <3
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy - Fundraising Bak
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 07:34:40 am »
I find that the easiest way to differentiate between deities when using similar statues is the intent. For example, Nut requested that I use a statue of Aset enthroned and wearing the sundisk for Her shrine. It is quite clearly in a shrine for Nut, being surrounded by offerings for Nut, stars, and jars - but that is the only distinction I have made. She doesn't seem to mind!

Senebty,
Sobeq
wepwawet & sekhmet-mut
bast & nut & khonsu & nebt-het
w'ab nekhen ib imau-sen | heri-sesheta wepwawet

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 10:17:27 pm »
Thank you for the feedback everyone. :)