collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Myths?  (Read 6687 times)

Re: Myths?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 03:37:51 pm »
Quote from: LadyTanha
The point that Raheri was trying to make was that you quite literally and obviously pulled that listing of information from a website that was created (and copyrighted, as per the note at the bottom of the page) by someone.  Should the person who created that page come across your post that is so clearly taken from his or her page design, you could find yourself in trouble.  

You'll also note that whomever created that page cited their sources.  The point is that it's just respectful to say "this is where I learned these things", whether or not said information is copyrighted or not.  

And I may be wrong about this - but anything that has been translated by someone and those translations published is capable of being copyrighted.  So the ancient texts themselves may not be eligible for such legality, but the works that you most likely learned all (or copied from) are all copyrighted materials, as someone else did the work before you.  

EDIT:  As a further note, you may wish to refer to the forum policies.  I believe it is rule 7 that pertains to this issue.

Forum policies  

A) History cannot be copyrighted.
B) Original interpretations can be - none of what I said was original. It's all been said before
C) I seriously doubt I will get in trouble for using historical information that someone else "borrowed" for their web site. Only if I'm trying to make a profit off of that information and I don't need to do that as this place already has a store....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:38:05 pm by MERITSEKHMET »
Ankh Wedja Seneb

Offline Shukheperas_ankhi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
Oh oh oh, there's a store?!  Why didn't anyone tell me?!  I love shiny stuff.  Please point the way! ^.^
Khepera's sunlight makes me live
Daughter of Khepera, beloved of Djehuty and Serqet-Aset

The Sky at Dawn

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 04:15:01 pm »
Quote from: Tuwer
Quote from: MERITSEKHMET
1) Uh yeah, none of this is copyrighted as it is text from ancient sources.

Wow!! I didn't realize the Ancient Egyptians had roller coasters! Learn something new everyday!

;)

That you do. King Tut has his own water park - you guys didn't know this??? Where have you been?
Ankh Wedja Seneb

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »
Quote from: LadyTanha
Oh oh oh, there's a store?!  Why didn't anyone tell me?!  I love shiny stuff.  Please point the way! ^.^  

I love shinies too :)
Ankh Wedja Seneb

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »
Quote from: MERITSEKHMET

A) History cannot be copyrighted.
B) Original interpretations can be - none of what I said was original. It's all been said before
C) I seriously doubt I will get in trouble for using historical information that someone else "borrowed" for their web site. Only if I'm trying to make a profit off of that information and I don't need to do that as this place already has a store....

Short answer to points A and C: Wrong.

History cannot be copyrighted, this is true. However, text posted by an author to the internet IS protected under copyright law unless the creator specifically states otherwise. And, incidentally, if you post text to the internet completely lifted from another published source (book, magazine, etc.) you are committing copyright infringement. It is not only polite, but in some circles required, to cite sources when making such posts online. Part of academic training does include proper source citation, lest one be accused of plagiarism.

Note, I'm not a copyright scholar or lawyer, but I do have a master's degree in library science and have been working in an academic library for over a decade. Copyright is one of my professional interests.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Meket

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 01:49:59 am »
Quote from: Niheri
"I am the hidden things you cannot see, and the seen things you cannot hear".

This gave me chills.  :)  Thank you for sharing!
Meketserqet
Serqet Protects / Serqet's Protection
Sat [color:red]Serqet-Aset[/color], Meryt [color:blue]Set, Heru-wer, Djehuty,[/color] her [color:blue]Satet[/color]!

"No more tears," He said.  "Only your strength will do."

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »
Em hotep, Meket.

Yes,shivers...

Amun-Ra is very big, and has a lot of disconcerting things to say, in my experience...He is very loving - Sometimes, perhaps, we find Him difficult because He loves more than we do.

I still haven't done the "I am a human - You are God" thing very well..; but, I'll get there. I think it's OK to be human :).

Senebty,
Ni.

Senebty,
Ni.  
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289051
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8