collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Importance of Ritual?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
The Importance of Ritual?
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
Em hotep everyone,

I've never really been one for rituals and heka. Perhaps it's part of the sola scriptura way that I was raised. Regardless, Senut and our group Duas tend to be the extent of my rites. Recently, I've felt drawn to perhaps try my hand at being more proactive in the mystical sense.

Which leads to my question: how important is ritual in your religious life? If there is anything you wish to share about the sorts of ritual you do, please share, as my knowledge of rituals are scant and all from a dualistic Wheel of the Year perspective.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Re: The Importance of Ritual?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »
If I had to break my spiritual life down into what's important, it would be roughly a third solo ritual, a third informal interaction, and a third community fellowship/worship.

Solo ritual is a personal way for me to spend time in the space of the gods. This is important, as these moments are private between the gods and myself; part of this is my work as a W'ab priest, which is inherently kept private from the general public. In these moments, I talk with the gods and give Them my love - and I open up to Them. I tell Them what is on my mind, I cry, I sing to Them - it's very open.

That's important to me, but it's no more or less important than the informal things I do. Being with other children of the gods is a way to connect with Them, as is doing heka (which for me tends to be more informal than ritualized), as is just talking to Them during my morning commute. It's important to spend time in Their space, but it's also important to let Them into our own lives.

I may not be making perfect sense - cold medicine goes right to my head - but I hope that helps.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: The Importance of Ritual?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »
I find ritual to be very important. When I stop performing daily service to the gods, I feel like something is missing. And it's only a matter of time before it really starts to bug me. I feel it's important to give back to the gods- for all that they give us. Plus it sustains them, which is also important.

Currently, I do a short morning ritual. It's a very informal version of what Reidy has in his book (awake in peace, offering of incense, ka embrace, libation pouring and offerings, prayers, exit). Eventually, I want to make a more detailed ritual that is specific to my particular gods that I can do in the morning. However, I have other things that have come first for now- and I do what I can. While it's not much, I think it helps me to keep connected, and I feel that something is better than nothing. What little I do do makes me feel a lot more whole and grounded.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3062
  • stats Total Posts: 291625
  • stats Total Topics: 19821
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 653