Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 74
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The newest Newbie feeling completely lost @.@  (Read 7335 times)

The newest Newbie feeling completely lost @.@
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:45:01 am »
Hello everyone! I am Imeera =] I live in the UK and I am at Uni studying Animal Behaviour and Welfare. I only heard of Kemeticism (is that right?) yesterday. I have been looking at Paganism for quite a while longer, I was especially interested in ancient Egyptian religions as well as Celtic and Norse and a few others. I have been researching and learning about ancient egypt since I was a child and so I have amassed quite a knowlege, even though I have only scratched the surface!

I thought people who did worship the Egyptian Gods did so like any other Wicca in a mix with other Gods from other places or alone as their patron. But one day I heard about a Celtic reconstuctionist path and I assumed there must be others! I googled egyptian reconstructionist and I was bewildered by how big it was. To be honest its rather scary looking at it from the outside! So I started to look into it, and became even more confused (and scared xD). This is not a simple religion! So I tried looking things up and then when I mentioned on another Pagan forum I liked Hathor one of the links that was given was a link to this forum. Fantastic! I thought. I can get my questions answered and learn more about this curious path that seems so interesting and complex.

What does Em hotep and other phrases mean? How much of this religion is taken out of fact and how much is left up to guess work? How far does this religion go into believeing the mythology of ancient Egypt? Do you use the Book of the Dead in funerals? Are there modern day tombs with the spells over the walls for the afterlife? What about magic, simple "I really want this job" kind of magic? Is it simple, a little chant, some symbolic movment and herbs and its done? Or is it more complex? Are there temples to still worship in and how does one worship exactly? Offerings? Dance? Chanting? Are there books written on the subject? I have many many more questions, don't feel you have to answer them all here! But it gives you an idea of how stupidly confused and how much of newbie I am! Point me in the right direction? ^_^    
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:48:57 am by Imeera »
The nut does not reveal the tree it contains.

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
Re: The newest Newbie feeling completely lost @.@
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:10 am »
Em hotep ( in Peace ), Imeera!

Welcome to the forum! :)  I thought I'd reply to your post as a fellow newbie and a fellow UK resident! All the questions you ask in your post have answers but I will leave those to more experienced members as, although I could answer most of them, they will give fuller answers.

Suffice to say, that you will find this a very friendly community and forum so feel at ease to ask as many questions as you want - there are no questions too basic and there does seem a lot to learn at the outset. You might be interested in the free beginners course - the next one is due to start in a few days ( I just finished the last one and it's excellent! ).

Anyway, you're very welcome!
Wenidjehuty - 'Swiftness of Djehuty'

Sa Djehuty mery Wepwawet-Yinepu

"I put the temple of Djehuty in its former condition,
I caused every rite to be as before..."
                                                                Petosiris' Tomb Inscription

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:43 am »
Em Hotep!

I'd concur with Petosiris! I don't feel qualified to answer many questions in a public format like this, but I'd definitely recommend taking the beginners class to learn more. I also think the Nisut's book, Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book, is a great resource if you are interested in working with the Kemetic Gods and Goddesses.

I have a background in Wicca and Paganism, and still consider myself somewhat Wiccan, but Kemetic Orthodox first. And I don't really do much in the way of magick or spells any more. It is enough for me to pray, make an offering when I can, and ask my Mothers to fulfill my needs. But I know others use different kinds of Heka or magickal energy, and I am sure you will learn a lot should you decide to stick around here.   :)

Senebty (a parting salutation of well wishes),
A'ashem
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:04:11 am »
Let's see... I'll pick a few out to start.

Em hotep is a greeting, and means "In peace." There's a page of common words here, but Em hotep, Senebty (may you be healthy, used as a 'goodbye' phrase,) and Nekhtet (victory!) are the most common.

There aren't as many of us as you'd think, we are a microscopic minority in the pagan world.

You can approach things simply. Like anything, the more you put in, the more you can get out, but simple dedication is always a great ingredient. Not everyone in ancient Egypt had the equivalent of a doctorate in divinity.

We have lots of funeral-related information from Egypt, because tombs preserved a lot of stuff. They have an enormous 'bling' factor, so people often get a false impression of things. Imagine if the major surviving record of  our civilization was related to animated TV shows! The biggest 'hole' in our understanding is how the common people worshiped. They couldn't write, so what they did is harder to figure out.

The myths and stories tell us things about the gods, but they were probably not meant to be taken literally. I wrote a blog post that touches on that, so I'll plug that here. ;) So, sitting here in the USA, I don't think that the sun is literally swallowed by the sky goddess Nut at night, and I don't argue with my friends in Australia who still see it in the sky when it's night for me. It's true in a mystical, otherworld sort of way.

Magic, yes- we call it Heka. It's not a Harry Potter thing. A big part of the magic is 'effective speech,' so you probably practice some of it without knowing it. Here's how I approach it: Looking at the ancient medical heka, they would use herbal medicines, set broken bones, etc. As part of the treatment, they would also give you an amulet to wear, or do other medical spells to reenforce it. Practical and magical were intertwined.

Of course, modern science is ultra-rational, so modern people don't believe that odd things like the color of medicine are important.. oh wait...   they do!!!!!  

So for job heka, you'd want to write the most effective resume and application you can, get it in on time, and be super-prepared for an interview. You might also do a ritual or offering to Wepwawet or one of the other deities to help. I think the help comes in on a quantum/chance level. Perhaps it helps the person looking at resumes to be in a good mood when they check yours, or some other little 'boost' that can make a difference. I don't think any of us has gotten gold to rain from the sky on a reliable basis. (if anybody has, please PM me!)

Oh, and since Wicca never interested me that much, it seems like a confusing mishmash to me. I suppose almost anything can look confusing from the outside. It just depends on where you're standing. I've read "The Celtic people thought words were important, so they didn't write anything down. The Egyptians thought words were important so they wrote everything down." Thousands of years of writing stuff down, and major political upheavals can make for some complexity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Helmsman_of_Yinepu »
Kemetic Reconnaissance Blog
Shrine Beautiful Inspiring, Enchanting Sacred Spaces.
Kemetic Roundtable Kemetic bloggers giving their perspectives on beginner questions.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:58:16 am »
Let's see.... what else? (keep in mind that I'm a regular member, and not speaking in any official capacity)

The funeral stuff isn't really important to many of us. Keep in mind that the great majority of the ancients didn't have pyramids or magnificent rock-cut tombs. We will probably have something Kemetic done. There are a couple mortician members of the house, so they could probably speak to that, including how much it costs to be mummified. On the other hand, Ancestor veneration is very much a part of things. In addition to blood ancestors, it can also include other people who have influenced your life. Some of us include an ancient person or two as well. *[color:#006600]waves to Ta-Mit[/color]*

Rituals can be simple, or they can be complicated. There's a simple modern ritual called "Senut" that most of us do each day. Basic offerings include cool water, flame, and incense. Bread, beer, and wine were other common offerings. Dedication is a wonderful offering, learning about the gods and writing about them can be an offering, writing a poem, song, drawing, singing, or dancing- anything that increases the Ma'at in this world. You can pray anytime or anywhere.

Altars/Shrines can be simple or complicated as well. I showed a simple example here, fitted out with thrift-store finds, and I use something similar as a travel shrine. Normally I do a fancier layout, but I am the exception in that I don't have any icons on my shrine yet.

There's no huge golden temple. Kemetic Orthodoxy owns a converted convent in Joliet, IL, USA, which has a shrine where the chapel used to be. From the outside it looks like an old brick school building, and you'd probably drive right past unless you noticed the small stele of Hathor out front. We have several festival events and classes there during the course of the year.

Because we're so spread out, we celebrate some holidays together online in a chat, have prayer events, and sometimes do a magic project together.

Several times a year, the group does a free introductory class for members. I know there's one starting up right now, and I'm not sure if it's too late to get in or not. Sedjemes, the teacher, will probably chime in and let us know. :)

My advice is not to worry too much about the complexity. It's like the ocean. You can sit and watch it, you can swim, you can learn about the creatures that live in it. You can learn about the water chemistry and nitrogen cycle too. You don't necessarily need to know about the specific gravity of sea water to swim (though that will influence how you float!)
Kemetic Roundtable Kemetic bloggers giving their perspectives on beginner questions.

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:33:40 pm »
Em hotep and welcome Imeera, it's nice to meet you!  The next beginner's class has just started to get underway, so you may want to wait for the next one, but you can apply at any time - even now, if you'd like to see if you can be fit into this class. You might want to contact Rev. Marie Parsons (RevMParsons@kemet.org); she is the senior priest in charge of the beginner's classes.

I hope this helps. :-)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Asetbesai

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »
Em Hotep, and welcome to the forums, Imeera.

Helms has done a wonderful job of explaining some of your questions.  Hopefully you'll stick around and learn more for yourself. :)
AsetBesai "Aset protects/nutures me"
Sat [color:purple]Aset-Serqet[/color] Meryt [color:blue]Bast[/color] her [color:red]Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
[color:green]A beautiful thing is never perfect ~ Egyptian Proverb[/color]

Offline Meket

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »
Em Hotep, Imeera!  Welcome to the forums - glad to have you here.  :)

There's nothing I can say that Helmsman hasn't covered in awesome capacity already, but if you'd like to know more I'd definitely recommend the Beginner's Class.  If nothing else you'll learn a fabulous amount of information, and it will certainly cut down on the intimidation factor!  :)
Meketserqet
Serqet Protects / Serqet's Protection
Sat [color:red]Serqet-Aset[/color], Meryt [color:blue]Set, Heru-wer, Djehuty,[/color] her [color:blue]Satet[/color]!

"No more tears," He said.  "Only your strength will do."

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:29:25 pm »
Em hotep and welcome, Imeera!
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »
Oh, and Em hotep and welcome, Imeera! :blush:

I really hate feeling completely lost!

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »
Em Hotep and welcome to the boards
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:44 pm »
Em hotep, Imeera! I see you've met our lovely Helms. ;) He's a good blogger, check it out.

As for a percentage of modern and ancient... oi vez. I really couldn't say. However, for me personally, I worship in a modern context. I don't do much historical research, though I will happen upon articles written by my fellows. I prefer to experience things for myself and to ask others what they think.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:41:51 pm »
Em hotep, Imeera! (Your name reminds me of my cat, Meera. ^_^ ) Welcome to the forums -- I hope you enjoy your time here. And don't worry too much about feeling lost. I think most of us have probably gone through that stage. Your questions are always welcome!

Shefyt

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:37 pm »
Em hotep and welcome to the forums Imeera! There is much to learn. You are starting out great by asking questions.
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
Em hotep, and welcome, Imeera!

The forums are filled with information.  My advice is to dive into the threads.

Wepwawetwiki is also a good resource.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289027
  • stats Total Topics: 19611
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217