Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Click here before asking "What does my dream mean?"  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
Click here before asking "What does my dream mean?"
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:09 pm »
Em hotep, everyone!

It seems we get a pretty steady stream of people, particularly newcomers to the forums, posting about dreams and asking for interpretations. While there's nothing particularly wrong with that in the grand scheme of things, I am taking the moderation  stance that such threads are not appropriate.  These are my reasons:

1. Dreams are personal.  My experience with these threads is that nothing useful really comes out of it because only one person understands the dreamer's internal symbolism.

2. While many people have posted earnestly curious threads about dreams, others have used it as a form of dramatic, attention-seeking behavior.  This is not behavior we want to encourage.

3. There's no way a thread like that can lead to a productive discussion.  Instead of being a topic that is helpful for everyone, it's a thread that revolves around one person, which is not conducive to community discussion.

This is not to say that the mere mention of dreams or messages from Netjer are taboo topics, nor is discussing a dream one had in a relevant thread.  This is solely about starting new threads to ask about the meaning of a dream.

In a recent thread, Ma'ai gave some very good advice to someone seeking the meaning of a dream.  Honestly, it is the best response anyone could give to a dream thread.  Rather than just pasting it to every dream meaning seeker who comes along, here it is for everyone to read now:

Learning the symbolic language of dreams is a very personal thing. I tend to list important symbols in the dream such as:

Rock
Flag
Bread box
Tunnel

...and then spend the day returning to my list, adding whatever meaning pops to mind about each symbol. What I discover is that they can be quite consistent, but there's not a book anywhere or anyone else who could tell me what they mean.

When it comes to dreams involving Netjer and Kemet, I find that there is a special 'quality' to the dream. As you say, there is such force that it can linger in memory for YEARS like a puzzle begging to be 'solved'.

Maybe that, by itself is part of the point? I think it's ok not to know everything right away.

In conclusion, I feel it is important to state clearly that this is not saying that the mere mention of dreams or messages from Netjer are taboo topics, nor is discussing a dream one had in a relevant thread.  This is solely about starting new threads to ask about the meaning of a dream.

NOTE:  I am keeping this topic open for a while for people to ask questions and discuss this decision.  The topic will eventually be closed and it will be closed early if there are any shenanigans.  Please remember that this is not a criticism of any particular person or situation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Re: Click here before asking "What does my dream mean?"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:40 am »
Quote from: Bestekeni

Dreams are personal.  My experience with these threads is that nothing useful really comes out of it because only one person understands the dreamer's internal symbolism.

Totally agree with this. If a dream IS a message (and I get pleeenty of this kind of thing myself), it's on that person to continue to communicate with Netjer, and do some personal introspection and interpretation, to figure it out. *Self*-validation is the best vehicle with which to seek answers in this type of scenario. At least I think so.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »
I have seen threads like these in other forums too, and I agree that they are of limited usefulness. If someone else stands up to interpret your dream, please keep in mind that they are guessing. They are not you. They are not Netjer.

I always tell people to write their experiences down. It can take time to understand what a dream actually means, and if it was an important one, or merely a one-off.

Also, I think there is value in exploring your own meanings rather than hanging on what someone else tells you. The lesson you teach yourself will stick with you far better than the one you heard someone else say.

And if Netjer happens to tell you that you have some great destiny, then that's great! But you will get there only by your own actions, not because you had a dream about it. The dream is a guide, not a guarantee.
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:44 pm »
I can't find a handy link right now that gives a concise rundown on the method, but Robert Moss has written a number of books on working with dreams (I read Conscious Dreaming and liked it, but I know he has many others too). His advice is pretty much what Ma'ai said, but he also has guidelines for working through what dreams mean in groups that I don't remember off the top of my head. But I do recall that one of the ground rules is that everybody has to start with the same rules and use the same way of talking about the dream, to avoid projecting their own personal stuff onto the dream that comes from outside the dreamer.

The final judge of What This Means is always the dreamer. And it's totally normal if a dream doesn't make sense right away. Sometimes it might even take years (or I'm just reeeeeeeealy slow), but you'll get there with a bit of work and attention.

Senebty!
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Lexy

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »
One of my very close friends (and Tarot teacher) once told me something about dreams that always stuck with me.

It's not always about the *stuff* in your dreams, it's about how you *feel* in the dream!

So, instead of saying, "Hey, there was a polka dotted whale in my dream, what do whales with polka dots mean?" - Focus on how that whale made you FEEL. Were you angry with it? Did it bring you comfort?

I think this is can be a very important component to successful dream interpretation. Hope it helps! :3
Senebty.

"Remember and honor your roots, but stretch your branches to the sky."

Dua Netjer!

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:39:21 pm »
Quote from: Lexy

It's not always about the *stuff* in your dreams, it's about how you *feel* in the dream!

I think this is can be a very important component to successful dream interpretation. Hope it helps! :3

I would definitely agree with this. I actually got that exact message from Aset not too long ago...I was sooo focused on "what the heck does THAT mean??" that I wasn't paying any attention to the feelings associated with the symbolism in the dreams.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »
When I was a newcomer to here, I did post about a visit I had in a dream, I mostly was actually seeking support, not an explanation of what i'd experienced. do people want to hear " you are not crazy for experiencing such and such "?

Its pretty difficult in my own life to sit down and talk about mad things that were happening to me that i didnt understand fully with some one in person.
perhaps we need a : Argh! what is going on / i need a little friendly guidance type section?
or have a sticky thread on the topic of weird and wonderful things that people can ask questions in ?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:40:40 pm by Blissi »

Offline Asykon

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:58:19 am »
I apologize for the dream thread I posted. I did not know it was inappropriate
Child of Bast, beloved of Set, Sekhmet-Hethert, Mut, and Wepwawet-Yinepu

Thank you to every one of my gods :3 I hope I do you proud
Spoiler: show

OwO I'm a Son of Bast :3 I Feel special, thanks mommy I love you <3~

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:50:43 am »
Hotep Askyon,

It was not inappropriate. What Tekeni and others are offering are simply natural honest caveats to answering such a question. Sometimes folks want their dreams clarified, but not being the person, it is difficult, nigh impossible, to give such clarification. Suggestions can be offered, but even suggestions may hold no actual value, since only the person can determine what a dream may (or may not) mean.

Senebty!
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »
an important symbol in a dream would be a used item that stands out? or...??

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:10:52 pm »
Anything that stands out to you.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:51 am »
i wasn't really asking what it meant, i was asking what you guys thought of it. i wasn't sure if netjer communicated in that manner, i've read about other gods and i haven't seen any mention the netjer in itself. i was just wondering. i know what it meant, it was straight forward.

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 11:21:43 am »
The best answer anyone can give you to that is "maybe" and "sometimes".  It really depends so much on how you best understand things and how your gods choose to communicate with you.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:46:24 am »
Ok. Total perspective now. Thank you.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279816
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8