Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 77
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Non-Senut Personal Rites  (Read 12708 times)

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Non-Senut Personal Rites
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:59 am »
Em hotep!

We often talk about Senut as a personal ritual, but I know there are many other folks who perform their own simple rituals to the gods, sometimes in lieu of Senut when purity gets in the way, and sometimes in addition to it. I thought it would be interesting to discuss those rituals, so that other people might get some ideas for creating their own personal practice.

I personally don't really have any rituals that I do besides Senut and the State Rite. I do have a large candle for each of my Parents, however, and I light those when I want Their guidance but cannot do a formal shrine rite for whatever reason. :)

I know many such rituals are personal, but if you feel comfortable sharing, what are your own practices like?

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Tarekbast

• Shemsu
Re: Non-Senut Personal Rites
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:33 am »
Em hotep!

I don't do any other rituals either anymore, but I would be interested to read what others do, especially during unpure times.
-Tarek

Sat Bast
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset her Set

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:44 am »
Hotep Sobeq!

One personal ritual I do is Akhu veneration. Every morning when I go out of the living room (where the Akhu shrine is). I light some incense as an offering and thank my ancestors for everything they do for me. I look at their pictures. I remember their names, their voices, their smells, and their touch. I thank them for making me who I am today.

It is very short and simple (probably less than 2 minutes), but extremely profound and a wonderful way to begin again.

Senebty,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:52 am »
Hotep Sobeq

Other than Senut and the state rite, I have two other constant daily rituals of a sort. I am an early riser, and my desk faces east. So I greet Ra first thing, immediately. Then I go outside to run errands, and I greet and talk with other gods. My errands involve walking about a mile or two around the neighborhood. So I greet Ra for the sun, and thank Him for many things, Wesir for the trees and flowers, and fertility and growth, Aset as my Mother, for speech, for heka, for wisdom, among other things, and other gods as might befit whatever I am facing through that day. Might be Djehuty, or Ptah, or Sekhmet, or Set, etc.

But that's each and every morning.

Now you have me thinking further!
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:32:58 am »
Hotep Raheri,

My Akhu veneration is not as "ritualized" as is yours. I talk constantly to a particular few of my Akhu, and randomly leave offerings, but I don't make a point every day.

I shall have to re-think that.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:38:20 am »
Me personally, I almost constantly have incense lit at most of my shrines. It's not super-ritualized but the act of continually saying "hi"! and doing a quick little veneration has become for me a ritual almost in itself. The day just doesn't seem to feel right without it. Like Raheri, I find that even though it's not a long rital and not Senut, its really nice.

I also light incense at every shrine after housecleaning. With a bow to Them and a quick little chat about how I hope They are pleased, and welcome to dwell in what is hopefully now a "fit" home for Them. Lol...
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:31 am »
Hotep!

Like Raheri, I offer incense and other things to my akhu frequently. I also make informal incense offerings both on my shrine (when I'm pure but just too busy for senut) or elsewhere (when I'm keeping the shrine closed due to purity issues.

I also try to offer my morning exercise, whatever it may be, to my Mother or one of my Beloveds. When possible, I also include a period of quiet meditation after exercise because that's when my brain is most quiet. I need the exercise, and if I make it an offering I'm less likely to blow it off. That way, everyone gets the benefit. As I see it, exercise promotes ma'at in the microcosm of my body; being healthy and lowering my stress this way helps me promote ma'at in everything I do. Even if my gods aren't interested in how much I sweated in their honor, they have shown great interest in my health at the very least.  

Most of these aren't ostensibly Kemetic (except the akhu offerings), but it's how life's been working, and functional life = good, at least as far as my gods are concerned lately. :)
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:06 am »
Raheri, I really like that idea. :)

I don't do any particular personal ritual routinely, but I have a few patterns that come to mind. They're all pretty flexible and brief, as I do better with that than a lot of structure and time requirements.

The first is very general-purpose and similar to Senut, but less strict in purity requirements (though I do still make sure I'm reasonably clean and in good spirits). I'll adjust the lighting, put on background music (unless requested otherwise), light a candle and incense, and kneel before shrine with offerings. I usually use this when I've created or acquired a new gift for one of my gods; I may or may not include libations, depending on the situation and Netjeru involved. At the end, I'll revert any edible/drinkable offerings, thank the candle flame and blow it out, and let the incense burn down naturally.

The other is specifically for Nebt-het and was a mini-tradition I unwittingly started when I first hailed Her on Her birthday in 2011. I light a dark candle (a bergamot tealight, usually) and pour Her a libation of blackberry-grape water, then play guitar and sing for Her.

The other thing that's developing into a mini-ritual is watering the akhu - I keep a small glass of water topped off on their shrine. Every few days, I'll fill my little bottle that I use to pour libations during Senut, fill up the akhu glass and say something along the lines of "may you be cooled and refreshed", top off the shrine's tiny vase of found flowers and leaves from our ivy with another little blessing, and then pour the rest of the water into the nearby hanging plant. I like the idea of offering water both to the dead and to the living.

I do a few other things to involve the Netjeru, but not really ritually. I'll play the song I wrote for Hethert-Nut when I really need some comfort or calming; I do a lot of creative work with some Netjeru, which is a very interactive process; I offer up my physical efforts (exercise, martial arts) to Sekhmet; I greet the sunset as Ma'ahes. I think of Them often throughout the day, and whether I'm in shrine with Them or not, They're in my life with me. :)
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:20:55 am »
My personal practices are largely amuletic -- I have specific necklaces I wear when I want to think about certain parts of my practice throughout the day or dedicate the activities of my day to them.  For example, my Akhu necklace is a tiny silver dime necklace that my grandmother left me, which I wear when I want to feel close to her and the rest of my Akhu, or if I'm doing something I want to make sure they see. :)
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:22 am »
Quote from: Bestekeni
My personal practices are largely amuletic -- I have specific necklaces I wear when I want to think about certain parts of my practice throughout the day or dedicate the activities of my day to them.  

Ahh, you know I forgot about that. What she said, too! ^
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:30 am »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
Quote from: Bestekeni
My personal practices are largely amuletic -- I have specific necklaces I wear when I want to think about certain parts of my practice throughout the day or dedicate the activities of my day to them.  

Ahh, you know I forgot about that. What she said, too! ^

Me three! :D Jewelry is pretty much my favorite way to connect to different gods/energies/ideas/etc while going about daily life. I don't often change it out, but I have daily pieces I wear: a Sekhmet pendant, a lion ring for Ma'ahes, a scorpion amulet for Serqet, and a few symbolic non-god items. I also have a purple-beaded ankh necklace for Nebt-het, but I wear it only rarely. Still working on making a smaller Hethert-Nut pendant that I can wear without being all Celestial-Cow-bling. ^^;
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

Offline Shukheperas_ankhi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:19 am »
I'm pretty new to this whole thing, and like a lot of you, I really enjoy Senut as my main ritual, but I want to branch out a little, just to see if there's anything else that I feel comfortable with.

I'm pretty big on the night sky, and I like to spend time sitting outside in the evenings.  I've taken to placing some incense in a mound of dirt near where I sit and lighting it for Nut and then kind of talking to Her about my day and thanking Her and Netjer as a whole for life as a whole, and my life personally.  I find it very calming.  

Khepera's sunlight makes me live
Daughter of Khepera, beloved of Djehuty and Serqet-Aset

The Sky at Dawn

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:04:42 am »
Quote from: LadyTanha
I'm pretty big on the night sky, and I like to spend time sitting outside in the evenings.  I've taken to placing some incense in a mound of dirt near where I sit and lighting it for Nut and then kind of talking to Her about my day and thanking Her and Netjer as a whole for life as a whole, and my life personally.  I find it very calming.  

Beautiful! I'm a Nut-lover, too... Dua Nut!
Wenidjehuty - 'Swiftness of Djehuty'

Sa Djehuty mery Wepwawet-Yinepu

"I put the temple of Djehuty in its former condition,
I caused every rite to be as before..."
                                                                Petosiris' Tomb Inscription

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:39 am »
I don't perform Senut ever, really. I do a daily (or close to it) ritual that is a stripped down form of what Reidy presents in his book. Once I get more stable in my mood, health and schedule, I'd like to flesh out my ritual to make it more well bodied. But it will still be based off of the Reidy structure, I think.

Usually, it involves asking the gods to awake in peace, removing old offerings, a ka embrace, bringing in new offerings, and prayers at the end.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:13:58 am »
Hotep folks!

I haven't posted in a while, but Sobeq brought up a really good topic.
Turns out that I offer an informal "Good Night" incense in shrine every night, regardless of if I do Senut or not. It's a way for me to close down the day; for both Them and myself.

I'm thinking I might have to start doing this same sort of thing for my Akhu, so that I can say "Good Night" to them. The only issue is using two different scents of incense might cause an issue.

On days that I'm not pure, I don't go into shrine or touch my tools. I tend to think of that time as a break and use it to work and maintain my existing physical relationships with friends and family. I suppose that is a ritual unto itself in a way.

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288175
  • stats Total Topics: 19541
  • stats Total Categories: 8