collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Multi-Faith and Multi-Practice  (Read 28021 times)

Offline Tahesatmuti

• Divined Remetj
Re: Multi-Faith and Multi-Practice
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:49 am »
I don't really have another faith, but Hekate has recently come into my life. I'm still learning about Her and gathering materials for Her altar. I haven't officially honored Her yet and I'm going to use Her Sacred Fires as a good time to start. But right now is learning time. She did say one thing to me so far: "Follow me. That is my only rule." The Netjeru will always come first for me though. Once my practice with Hekate starts, I will relegate worship of Her to during the new moon only unless a major Kemetic holiday happens to be on that day, then that takes precedence.
-Tahesatmuti (Tahesat)
Catholic follower of ma'at.

Offline AsetSeqai

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »
Em hotep
I was just reading about incorporating another type of faith. I was wondering is it ok? I too am interested in incorporating Native American into my path of Kemetic Orthodoxy. Is it ok? I also have altars to Kwan Yin etc. Is this ok.
In Her Service
ASETSEQAI
Daughter Of Aset-Serqet
Beloved Of Sekhmet-Hethert

Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the unknown.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »
Em hotep Seqai,

Devotions to gods and spiritual paths other than those of Kemet is acceptable, in Kemetic Orthodoxy. Many members certainly follow more than one path in that regard. So you can have separate altars to whatever gods you follow.

The different paths are kept separate, however, generally speaking. Gods of Kemet are not worshipped with Norse or Hellenic or other non-Kemetic rites (and I daresay vice versa). So I would not put Kwan Yin on my Kemetic shrine (and if I had a Shinto shrine for example I would not put Aset there.) The two practices are separate.

There are several discussions around the forums where members from Remetj through priesthood discuss how they practice more than one spiritual and religious path.

I hope this helps.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline AsetSeqai

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »
Em hotep Sedjemes
Yes Sedjemes this help a lot. So I can incorporate other paths and work with them. Thank you I was afraid it would upset Auset.
In Her Service
ASETSEQAI
Daughter Of Aset-Serqet
Beloved Of Sekhmet-Hethert

Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the unknown.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:57 pm »
Em hotep

As to that--if that is ever a concern, ask. I certainly always ask Aset if I am unsure at all. But I certainly don't worship her in any way other than Kemetic Orthodox, and I don't do any Kemetic Orthodox devotions to any non-Kemetic spirits or gods.

I cannot tell you what Aset might say for you. My rule of thumb is, better to ask and discuss it with Netjer first.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »
I have taken Shemsu vows and for me that means Aset comes first.  I also honor some Norse deities and some Orisa.  I keep all the practices separate.  

I'm finding that my three faith traditions don't disagree so much as emphasize certain parts of the universe more than others.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 10:17:51 am »
Quote from: ASETSEQAI
So I can incorporate other paths and work with them. Thank you I was afraid it would upset Auset.

This kind of throws me off a little bit. By "incorporating" I get the feeling you're suggesting a mix and match kind of thing...? As Sedjemes said, having more than one path is fine but I think alot of people feel that it's best to try to honor Kememtic Gods in a Kemetic fashion, Greek Gods in a Greek fashion, Norse Gods in a Norse fashion and so on so forth. I wouldn't do a Wiccan ritual for Aset (unless I had permission) and I wouldn't do a Kemetic ritual for Hera, I would try to stick to the traditional approach to Their honor as a sign of respect for Their specific respective traditions.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline NebitBast

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 11:41:52 am »
Before entering the House, I was eclectic pagan with a HEAVY leaning toward outer court Wiccan. For the longest time, either Bast or Persephone stood as my Goddess and Yinepu or Hades stood has my God. For me it was the easiest way to connect with Them and were pleased that I was connecting at all.
Now that I have taken my Shemsu vows, my Wiccan practices have taken a seat on the back burner. However, I still do honor Hades as a Father of sorts and Persephone is ever present as I watch the seasons.
I am Bast the Flaming One
Meset Bast, Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet!
"Self-Care Bast Advocate"
Class 33 graduate
Sau Apprentice

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 02:13:47 pm »
Hotep,

While I do have understanding and teachings of Aboriginal Spirituality because of family, I try not to incorporate it overly much with my Kemetic Orthodox spirituality. I have had discussions with my Mother on this, as well as the Akhu which are Aboriginal and Métis, and neither have an issue, but it is my personal preference to keep them separate unless requested.
Smudging is a different story though. I will burn Cedar, Sage and Sweetgrass for my Mother as a part of the Senut rite from time to time. But that's from on-going dialogue between the two of us.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »
Thus far, as a Wiccan High Priest pending rev/minister status, I'm still looking into knowing KO from the inside so I can see where exactly I 'fit'. I can't imagine the notion of creating sacred space without casting the circle (to me, it keeps the energy contained nice and tidy, vs all over the place), for example, but I could see doing Senut within one. I've always talked with the Egyptian pantheon and other deities through it; it just makes it easier for me to be in between space to hear Them better. I'm interested in seeing what They ask of me and where I go from this new point. I'll talk further of my dreams and visions later.
~Love is all there is~

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »
Quote from: Shezep_shuty
I don't really have a solid second faith, but I do work with spirits who are not Kemetic. My city and the surrounding land is full of spirits from many different cultures. I often give them a nod in passing, or occasionally leave out offerings for them. I don't call them netjeri because I'm afraid that might be an attempt to fit them into a Kemetic mold. I don't try to adopt their ritual backgrounds. There would just be too many. So I just try to keep it on the level of being a friendly neighbor.  

This is my exact situation too. I am Kemetic Orthodox, but, I also work with and honor animal and land spirits separately from my Kemetic practices.
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »
Basically with kemetism, Bast led me to the faith, She was *the* Opener to my spirituality (more consciously-lived spirituality) what so ever, spirit work, healing work, etc. She made it very clear She'll introduce me to who is safe for me and I need to know,  will be my guide, however 'infrequent'. She basically very much *is* around my Path, wherever I move, I consult with Her safety matters a lot, honor Her as order in my life, as an elder to listen to.

I haven't really 'stepped aside' from other faiths; I invest more energy into Kemet though, into Netjer as a whole, into prayers, thoughts of Them, seeking fellowship with Them. In that, They're first, through my daily life, I worship Them first.

I'm trying to find ways more to figure in monotheist faiths. Polytheist are hard for me in *time* management, some whiles with incompatible 'feel' I get from the pantheons, way brain-melty when I sense them as overlapping to almost be syncretic. Reconciling with monotheist faiths/practices takes a bit more understanding *how* do I see the Divine, as a whole, what sacrifices I'm willing to give, what compromise to make.  

Mostly, it's *all* really about dialog. I've had many revelations, from UPG or via priesthood, from Christian God that the way I go about life, I *am* His faithful servant. Many reassurances He *knows* how I mean things in my heart, I'm not putting Him aside.

I've had reassurances from Allah through meeting other Muslims in parts of life I was in terrible doubt that I'm *not* 'less following His Path' by the way I live, by the way I see beauty of Creation in life. It's these direct experiences when I'd least expect them that I cherish the most, I believe them to be true, regardless of scriptures. There's many areas of life scriptures *don't* speak of, but *do* mention one's heart's intents strongly, it can be relevant to my religious practice.

Similarly I've had reassurances from the netjeru, seeing Them reflected (even if not the same) in different traditions and in connectedness with the Creation matters, I'm no less Theirs in time I'm 'with' other divine beings.

Ultimately that's what matters to me the most: to love, honor and accept, and receive that back, to fulfill what is asked of me.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tasaiserqet »
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 09:59:36 am »
Quote from: Enbibibast

This is my exact situation too. I am Kemetic Orthodox, but, I also work with and honor animal and land spirits separately from my Kemetic practices.  

*Separately* is the key.  If you cast a circle in Senut or say the Shema or add a sufi dhikr, it's no longer Kemetic Orthodoxy. That's not to say that it can't be a fulfilling practice, but it's not our practice anymore at that point.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 12:11:24 pm »
What about casting a circle prior to Senut, and why not? That's almost like saying that a witch/Wiccan can't say a Christian prayer or give offerings to Mother Mary or something while in circle, or whatnot.

Are you of the belief that doing anything of KO practice other than as taught is no longer considered 'valid' (to you? Or to the KO founder/s)? I'm curious as to your thoughts on this. :) I don't see why separating one's practice would be a 'bad' thing, personally, as a personal religious practice is ultimately meant for the individual, not the whole. If I for example do one of the above examples while in a circle, as a solitary practice, I'm sure I'll probably offend someone for that mixing-religious-practice thing, but on my own personal practice, I don't yet see how it could possibly be a bad thing or separate the practitioner from 'other' KO practitioners (since you used 'our practice', I'm using that 'our').

Besides- even the Christian people didn't know what they were doing for the first 500 years as everything they did varied widely after Jesus died. KO is incredibly new; if there's a lot of dogma of this-must-be-how-it's-done-every-time-ism going on and a keep-other-practices separate issue, I'm a little worried.

Keep in mind I'm an outsider looking in about to begin the beginner's course if/when my app gets accepted, so my thoughts might change. I'm just curious about your thoughts on it, is all, and again, nothing I say is ever meant to offend.
~Love is all there is~

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:34 pm »
Personally I never mix any traditions, my main reason is that there are things which might be ok to do in one traditions but are would be considered impolite or even offensive in another tradition. To pick up your example of witchcraft/wicca and saying Christian prayers to Mary...the bible condems witchcraft. So personally I would consider it highly offensive to say Christians prayers while in a circle.

Is KO incredible new? I guess that depends on your definition of new. KO might have been founded less than 25 years ago but most of our rituals are exactly the same as 3000 years ago.

Is there are lot of Dogma? Again..I guess that depends on your definition of dogma. There are things we see as traditional or specifically KO. Does that mean we don't allow anyone to practise anything else? No! Not even the Nisut will tell you what you have to put into your shrine or how your personal practise has to look like. But people will point out if they think that certain practises are not traditional/KO.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal