collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Multi-Faith and Multi-Practice  (Read 27936 times)

Re: Multi-Faith and Multi-Practice
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »
Quote from: Ekunyi

meditation, visualization, and natural symbolism....

1.) I don't really view the former set of practices as a faith, but more a form of personal development, internal lessons.

2.) I do feel that meditation on (and with!) the Netjeru is a form of worship. However, I think it's using the same tools in different manner.

Do any of you have spiritual/mental practices that are not necessarily associated with a set religion per se, which you can incorporate into aspects of your religious life? Or have adapted in order to do so?

This bring up a question that's been floating in my mind as well. Are things that aren't strictly KO (such as meditation and vizualization) but connected to KO in that it's connected to a person's KO faith and their experience of it, considered off limits for discussion here outside of a "multifaith" context? UPG flys around like a pinball....so what's the line here? Meditation is a perfect example, while it's not strictly Kemetic Orthodox practice how does it differ exactly from from "conscious" UPG? I mean, wouldn't the personal time in senut *kind of* be considered a form of meditation..?

The biggest hint at AE's more "mystical" practices I've found is something about dream interpretation, which doesn't mean that mystical practices were part of any kind of widespread religious observance but it seems to hint at more behind this category. I've found quite a few things that directly point to "shamanic practices"* and I'm wondering what it's place is in modern KO. Thoughts? I almost feel like this it morphing into another topic and needs another thread...? But then...I feel it's also linked to a multi-faith conversation as I see this connection between things that fall under "mysticism" and things that fall under Kemetic Orthodoxy and where's the line between the two?

*Disclaimer-I am not trying to culturally appropriate anything, rather talking about common, worldwide similarities in various indigenous practices. Basically practices of seemingly trying to communicate with "the Unseen". AE Priests using Yinepu masks in the performance of their tasks, or even KO's use of Saq, or fedw, the oracles...etc...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »
Quote from: Ekunyi

Do any of you have spiritual/mental practices that are not necessarily associated with a set religion per se, which you can incorporate into aspects of your religious life? Or have adapted in order to do so?

Entirely. I have a whole mass of things I do that aren't in any book or picked up from any particular temple or religious path. They're just things I sorta... started doing one day.

Meditation is kind of an example. I don't meditate in the normal sense. I don't sit down and clear my mind.. or anything like that. I dance to meditate. And I dance until I pretty much can't dance anymore. And then, I wait for things to come to me.

I have something that I call the Interior, which is a whole little 'world' inside of my brain (or somewhere not physical) that I work within and have also performed rituals inside of.

I'm not sure what that makes me. It's certainly not something I learned from anyone, and I dont' know if it falls under "Hedge" work. And I'm not really sure how common it is to do the things that I do- but I do them, because I feel compelled to. I don't consider myself 'official KO', so I don't really worry whether it falls under the branch of KO or not. FWIW, of course.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset

The biggest hint at AE's more "mystical" practices I've found is something about dream interpretation, which doesn't mean that mystical practices were part of any kind of widespread religious observance but it seems to hint at more behind this category. I've found quite a few things that directly point to "shamanic practices"* and I'm wondering what it's place is in modern KO. Thoughts? I almost feel like this it morphing into another topic and needs another thread...? But then...I feel it's also linked to a multi-faith conversation as I see this connection between things that fall under "mysticism" and things that fall under Kemetic Orthodoxy and where's the line between the two?

I have no clue where shamanism or mysticism falls into KO's whole big structure. But there are newer thoughts out there that it's possible that AE did have some kind of shamanic practices. I personally think they did, but I'm no Egyptologist, either.

Some places for consideration:
http://www.amazon.com/Shamanic-Wisdom-Pyramid-Texts-Tradition/dp/0892817550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337192772&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Through-Glass-Darkly-Prophecy-Ancient/dp/1905125089/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337192803&sr=1-1

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:39 am »
Quote from: Devo

I have no clue where shamanism or mysticism falls into KO's whole big structure. But there are newer thoughts out there that it's possible that AE did have some kind of shamanic practices. I personally think they did, but I'm no Egyptologist, either.

Some places for consideration:
http://www.amazon.com/Shamanic-Wisdom-Pyramid-Texts-Tradition/dp/0892817550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337192772&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Through-Glass-Darkly-Prophecy-Ancient/dp/1905125089/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337192803&sr=1-1

-Devo  

Cool thanks Dev. I'd say it's got to fall somewhere, because it already contains a few mystical/shamanistic elements as is. The aforementioned aspects, to start....
Timu

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 06:18:56 am »
Quote from: Arienihethert
Em hotep, all,

While this is a thread to discuss managing a multifaith life, this is NOT the place to discuss Wiccan practices outside of that context. Talking about why someone shouldn't cast a circle during Senut? Totally on topic. Talking about the differences between the various types of Wicca? That conversation should happen either on another, more appropriate forum or via PMs with interested parties.

Senebty,
Arieni

Thank you for stepping in as you did the other day Arieni. My internet access has been rather limited for the last week so I have not been able to check in regularly.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:05 am »
Hmm ok so just to clarify this, in basically saying that just like Kemeticism isn't the same thing as Kemetic Orthodoxy, Ecclectic/NeoWicca isn't the same as traditional Wicca and some of the same sort of "rules" apply, I'm being moderated? So it's not OK to correct ignorance? I would really like an explanation on how that's out of context to the topic, honestly.

That would be like me saying in a conversation to make a point (I can't imagine what the point could possibly be but..) "dragons are physically real and extremely important in my Kemetic practice-it's TRUE" and no one could correct me because it's not in "context"....? I'm just confused on how it's not relevant.
Timu

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 10:51:44 am »
I also incorporate a lot of generic shamanic practices. I slowed down on it some last year when I joined the house, but now I realize that it's just part of who I am. If I don't step out of my skin and go walking around the duat every now and then, I start to get a little uptight and unpleasant to be around. Some of the beings I talk to over there are Kemetic and some are not. I also enjoy a bit of trance and dance now and then too.
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2012, 01:35:19 pm »
I practice 2, debate-ably 3 faiths. my 1st and now the debatable one is Christianity, but only in so far that Jesus Christ is my spiritual mentor. Very early on I had issues with the OT and the messages of the Apostles because they seemed to go against much of what he was teaching. He spoke out against religious hypocrites within his own faith, not people that weren't of Jewish faith and there are many quotes and messages that lead me to this belief. (I can post quotes if anyone would like.) He also spent many years in Egypt and I don't think it'd be too out of line to say that some of his beliefs originated there. After repeatedly being called a heretic for having a Kemetic wife and many non Christian friends who I wouldn't convert I began thinking of myself as more of a follower of Christ and less of a Christian. He is still a son of the divine to me and my moral and spiritual compass but he has never turned from me for believing other faiths.

I practice Native American Shamanism (Shoshone tribe mainly) though more as a path to conversing with the world and the elements than as a religion.

I am still very new to Kemeticism and trying to hammer out were everything lies in comparison to my other beliefs and paths but so far there have been no issues and I am very eager to learn.

Offline Wesirempet

• Shemsu
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2012, 05:29:59 am »
I am a very eclectic spiritual person and in my belief, I feel like they all fit together without contradiction.

I have Wiccan practices blended in with Egyptian - these are the practices I do, but I also involve cultures and beliefs from Indian, Greek, Welsh and abrahamic roots.

I keep my KO shrine separate from my Wiccan one now and so in practice I will have Senut and honour my line-up, then on a moon or sabbat I'll have a Wiccan circle.

Works well for me :)
𓅭𓏏𓁐𓊩𓁹𓀭𓌻𓏏𓏌𓏏𓇯𓉡𓁥𓏣𓏏𓁴
Sat Wesir, meryt Hut-Hor-Sekhmet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 303997
  • stats Total Topics: 21093
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal