collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Beginners Class vs the Prayerbook  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Althara

• Remetj
Beginners Class vs the Prayerbook
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:20:31 pm »
Em hotep!

Just a quick question for those of you out there who've both taken the Beginner's Class and read The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by the Nisut.

Which would you say gave you the better grounding in KO?

I've been a follower of Bast for years, and She's been pushing me to learn more about KO (and particularly the Senut rite, but as I know so little about it I could be misunderstanding Her ^.^). I'd like to take the Beginner's class when it next comes around, but I believe this won't be for a number of weeks? And if the book gives a decent enough grounding then I can get that, and on the basis of it decide if I want to devote the time to the class and study KO in more depth.

Any advice/opinions will be gratefully recieved!!

Senebty

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: Beginners Class vs the Prayerbook
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:25:37 pm »
Em hotep Althara!

I'd say that the beginner's class gives a better overall grounding in what we do here as part of our temple practice. The prayer book can be used by anyone, regardless of their being a member of the temple. The classes  give more specific instructions in our practices and beliefs.

There is also no obligation to stay around once you take the classes either. If you find it doesn't work for you, that's fine. This certainly is not the only game in town as far as honoring Netjer. :)
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Shukheperas_ankhi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
I have not personally read the Prayerbook yet (though I am anxiously checking the mail each day for my copy!) but I have heard a lot about the descriptions of the Senut ritual from people who have, and they say it's very detailed.  I would think that you would be able to perform Senut on your own without the class, simply by following the directions.  

I would still say that it's worth it to take the class, because it offers much more material than just Senut, and it opens a pathway that you can move further down if you so choose, or if Bast keeps nudging ya that way.  ^_~  
Sat Khepera her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
☀️ Khepera's sunlight makes me live 🌻
meryt Djehuty her Serqet-Aset
|Discord Moderator|Sema Ka|
|Fedw Diviner|

Offline Nityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »
:o

Do you have a copy coming, LadyTanha?  Shoot, I was going to get you one, but I thought you already had one!  :(
Nityinepu AKA Niti Yinepu's
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Bast-Mut, her Khnum
Sau Apprentice-in-waiting

Offline Shukheperas_ankhi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »
haha, I guessed it was what you were sending me when Cory and Meket got theirs from you, I've just been waiting for mine to come.  XD
Sat Khepera her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
☀️ Khepera's sunlight makes me live 🌻
meryt Djehuty her Serqet-Aset
|Discord Moderator|Sema Ka|
|Fedw Diviner|

Offline Wenidjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:25 pm »
Em hotep, Althara!

I would definitely recommend taking the Beginners class - as a recent graduate of the class - and as someone who got the Prayerbook first - the class covers the basics of Kemetic Orthodoxy much more widely. The other thing that a book can't give you is the priceless interaction with the teachers and one's fellow students. It's free and there are no commitments. The excellent Prayerbook is essentially that - prayers one can employ to enhance one's devotions and while it contains the Senut ritual and some background info 'along the way', it is no substitute for the breadth of teaching in the Class...

Hope this helps and welcome! :)

Senebty!
Wenidjehuty - 'Swiftness of Djehuty'

Sa Djehuty mery Wepwawet-Yinepu

"I put the temple of Djehuty in its former condition,
I caused every rite to be as before..."
                                                                Petosiris' Tomb Inscription

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:45 pm »
If it has to be either/or then go with the class. You can ask questions there, and some subjects are covered that are not in the book. The class is also a requirement is you want to become a remetj here.

Personally, I ordered the book when I realized that it would be awhile for the beginner's class to start. I was already practicing senut before I got in to the class. I was just impatient that way. The book also contains verses and descriptions relating to different Names. It can make a handy quick reference guide in addition to the class.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:34:55 pm by Shezep_shuty »
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline MiMafdet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:27 pm »
If you had to pick one, and ONLY one, do the Beginner's class. It will give you more information than JUST Senut. There are weekly (twice weekly, iirc) chats you can join to ask questions and have live explanation of lessons.

Then, if you decide the KO is right for you and stay, further materials are opened such as the members-only chat/IRC and forum areas not to mention the opportunity to have your RPD done!
Sat Mafdet her Nisut (AUS)
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Hedjhotep-Heru-sa-Aset, her Shezmu

Regardless if I'm active, if you can read this: I am always here for you. Email MiMafdet@gmail if you ever are in need. Of anything. Ever. ♥

Offline Tarekbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:51:27 pm »
I have yet to read the Prayerbook, as I don't have one. But I'd agree with the others, if you only want to do one or the other, the class is best if you're interested in KO. If you're just looking for a ritual to give you a basis, the Prayerbook seems a good enough place to start. It can give you a direction while you wait on the class too, no harm in it.
-Tarek

Sat Bast
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset her Set

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »
For anything, if the choices are to either learn from humans or learn from books, always go with the humans (even if you can only get to them through a computer). :)
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
Hotep, Althara!

They serve different purposes.  

The Prayerbook is just what it's title says it is:  a book of prayers.  The Senut ritual is included, along with a very brief talk about KO, but mostly, it's prayers.

The Beginner's class is an introduction to Kemetic Orthodoxy.  You learn a bit about the Gods, but mostly in the context of how KO is influenced by Them and chooses to worship Them.  The majority of the class is about us, how we view the world, how we view each other, and how we interact with our faith.  

If you must choose only one, and you are interested in learning about us, take the class.  Both would be better.

Best Wishes,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:15 pm »
For what it's worth, I think the prayerbook is worth every penny and then some. Hemet is selling signed copies while she is between jobs, I can get you the details if you are interested.

I don't feel that the prayerbook is KO Specific. Senut may be our rite, but overall, it can work for any form of Kemetic religious practice.

The beginners' classes are free, and contain the same copy of the senut rite, as well as other information on how we practice our faith. It also offers the weekly discussion chats, which allow you to participate with teachers and your classmates in an intimate setting.

If you're interested in KO, sign up for the class. If you have twenty to spare, buy a copy of the prayerbook. It's hard to regret either.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar and Wepwawet
Kemetic Humanism / New England Kemetic Organizing

Offline Althara

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »
Thank you all for your comments and recommendations! Looks like getting both is the way forward! :D Better get working on my application then ^.^

Definitely curious about the RPD too... Not sure if I'd be brave enough to actually be Divined, though, I think I'd be really disappointed is Bast isn't in there somewhere xD

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »
Em hotep

The Rite of Parent Divination (RPD) is a rite of passage in Kemetic Orthodoxy. It is not required to be a member of Kemetic Orthodoxy and enjoy fellowship and community devotion and prayer. It is not needed in order to enjoy a full and profound relationship with any of the gods of Kemet (and here we do worship them all, and give them attention, offerings, seek their help, give them praise).

Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »
Quote from: Althara
Definitely curious about the RPD too... Not sure if I'd be brave enough to actually be Divined, though, I think I'd be really disappointed is Bast isn't in there somewhere xD

;)

This is definitely an all-too-familiar statement. A lot of people feel the same way around the subject of RPD, though what I can say is that most people I know who have had "surprises" in the RPD later recognized things in their life that made the results make total sense. :) It just seems to always happen after the fact.

Another thing is that a God or Goddess not showing up in an RPD doesn't change your relationship with Them, it just means that relationship isn't as a Parent or Beloved. I have a shrine set up specifically for Gods I have relationships with that aren't in my RPD lineup, and have a very fulfilling relationship with Them.
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal