collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Apep, Sek and Mot  (Read 3222 times)

Apep, Sek and Mot
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:03 pm »
Em hotep,
Recently I was browsing around info about Netjer in various locations around the internet, and I started reading about the daily battle of Ra and Apep. I've found that several sites make mention of Apep gaining assistance from two "demons" (which I feel may be an improper term) named Sek and Mot. The thing is, everywhere I've looked, there are only articles barely referencing the names of the two; no other information has really shown up so far.
Just as a matter of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew anymore about these two, or could direct me somewhere I could find out?

Also, I apologize if the names I used here were Helenized in any way (though I understand Apep's Helenic name was Apophis), as I know not much about some of the proper Names yet.
Thank you for any help you can give!
-Eyyr

PS- so you can see what I mean about their mention, here's te most basic of sources, Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apep#Battles_with_Ra

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Apep, Sek and Mot
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:08:30 am »
Em hotep

I cannot find reference to Sek or Mot in either te Velde, the Papyrus of Ani (Faulkner translation), or in Assman's _Egyptian Solar Religion_.  The reference is not only in wikipedia, but in many other websites all around the web. None of these websites provide any citation, and it seems that portions have been simply copied from website to website. That's not to say that there is a source for reference to Sek and Mot, just that so far no source has been cited or found anywhere.

Senebty
Rev. Sedjemes

Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:35:48 am »
You're lucky you caught me during final paper time... I seem to have have of the college library in my room.

No reference to these spirits in Religion in Ancient Egypt (ed. Baines), Religion and Ritual in Ancient Egypt (Teeter) or Gods and Men in Egypt (Dunand and Zivie-Coche).  My guess is that the first person on the internet to cite them either found them in some obscure late-period or regional resource, a text that is not widely available or possibly made them up or wrote about them due to an innocent misunderstanding and the rest of the internet just copy-pasted them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
Just as an FYI, I wouldn't take any Wikipedia postings as gospel. It's been proven to be horribly unreliable. If it must be used, it should be used sparingly and only as a gateway. Why do you ask? Because of what seems to have happened now. No references or citations have been provided for those particular entities, which would have been a helpful thing to do.

I checking in my copy of the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Kemet, which I believe was written by Faulkner, but cannot find anything.

The only place where I would think to look is in Budge's work, which isn't very reliable, and the reasons why are meant for a whole different thread.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
I checked the Lexikon der Aegyptologie and the Lexikon der aegyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnunge (LGG) ...none of them mentions either Sek or Mot. And the LGG is probably the biggest source for names and titles.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:21 pm »
Quote from: Maretemheqat
Just as an FYI, I wouldn't take any Wikipedia postings as gospel. It's been proven to be horribly unreliable. If it must be used, it should be used sparingly and only as a gateway. Why do you ask? Because of what seems to have happened now. No references or citations have been provided for those particular entities, which would have been a helpful thing to do.

I checking in my copy of the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Kemet, which I believe was written by Faulkner, but cannot find anything.

The only place where I would think to look is in Budge's work, which isn't very reliable, and the reasons why are meant for a whole different thread.

~Maret
but of course, part of the reason I came here was to find much more reliable information from un-anonymous sources. Thank you everyone for your help, I also perused a few books of mine and couldn't find any info, so I'm filing this under "Where'd you get that from?" and moving on ;)

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:01:41 am »
Quote from: EyyrOsiris
but of course, part of the reason I came here was to find much more reliable information from un-anonymous sources. Thank you everyone for your help, I also perused a few books of mine and couldn't find any info, so I'm filing this under "Where'd you get that from?" and moving on ;)

Sweet!

Sorry we couldn't be much more of a help. I think Tek hit the nail on the head in terms of it being copy-pasted to other internet sites without verifying the information first.

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9