Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Origins and Explanations of Sekhmet's Epithets  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
Origins and Explanations of Sekhmet's Epithets
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:32 am »
Hotep everyone!

I am trying to find some info, explanations, and origins of the epithets of Sekhmet, such as "Lady of the Waters of Life", "Lady of Life within Wadjet", and "Beautiful Eye Which Giveth Life To The Two Lands".  Where do these titles come from?  Are they from stelae or papyri?  Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you, Daryt
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
Re: Origins and Explanations of Sekhmet's Epithets
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »
Quote from: Darytessekhmet
Hotep everyone!

I am trying to find some info, explanations, and origins of the epithets of Sekhmet, such as "Lady of the Waters of Life", "Lady of Life within Wadjet", and "Beautiful Eye Which Giveth Life To The Two Lands".  Where do these titles come from?  Are they from stelae or papyri?  Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you, Daryt

Is this list from Robert Master's book on Sekhmet?  

Lady of the Waters of Life remind me of either the Nile or the primeval waters.  

Lady of Life within Wadjet makes me think of Uadjet or Eye of Heru or even Green (Wadjet's name means Green).  This may be a play on words here with Eye of Heru or the fertile earth or Green/Good things.  Or even the cult center of the Goddess.  

Beautiful Eye which Gives life to the Two Lands would be the solar Eye/Sun whose rays give life to the earth.  Two Lands=Egypt.  

Those are just my guesses.  Most of the time with epithets all we have are the epithets and we need to extrapolate what they mean.  

Sekhmet's epithets can come from papyri, stela or temple inscriptions.  

Some books:

LAGG (Lexicon der Aegypten Gotten and Gottinen?)

Sekhmet et la protection du monde

Hathor Rising by Alison Roberts has a few things on Sekhmet, but not too much.  

senebty,

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

My Books: My Lulu Store

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:25 pm »
They are not listed in the LAGG entry for Sekhmet.
Bur for a cross check in the general section I would need the transliteration
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline André Siano

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:12:27 pm »
Em hotep

I heard some of that Epithets in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVxWq4Epv64

They are all Her Epithets for real or the autor of the video mixed Epithets form other Goddesses??
May Ma'At always prevail!!

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:39:13 am »
Em hotep Rev Daryt!

From my understanding:
"Lady of the Waters of Life" would refer to the Nile, the Milky Way/sky (what is also the celestial waterway-which is the Duat), the waters one is purified by as a King/priest, and/or the waters one is purified by to become an Akh.

Broken down individually:
The Nile reference refers to each year the dark, fertile silt being washed into/onto the banks of the Nile. This provided the ability for the agriculture and culture found in the Nile Valley. Those waters were essential for life, but could also bring death, and as a result a parallel could be drawn to Sekhmet and Her ability to both heal and send out plagues.

The Milky Way/Sky is essentially the same idea, but on a celestial scale. Because the Sky is also the Duat and within the Duat the same basic rules as life exist, one could draw the same conclusion as "a waterway that can bring life or death with it, or cause death with its lack". Since the un-formed waters of the Duat are often the waters of Nun or Nun itself (which is watery) another parallel might be drawn here.

The waters of life that are used to purify a King and the priests are the same waters you see being poured over the heads of those individuals. The water is considered to "bring life" as it brings purity and other good things. That is why occasionally you'll see ankhs being showered on them at the same time as the water is being poured out. (Occasionally there are also lotuses, djedu, and other symbols being poured out as well, which can symbolize the blessings one receives as part of being purified.)

Finally, there are the purifications to become an Akh; in order to become an Akh, you must first be purified in one or more fashions. Without this necessary step, the person cannot be accepted into the Duat (which is why there are the Negative Confessions...which can be said to purify the person of any misdeeds). This purification is done with waters of life or water which gives/brings life and it parallels exactly what is happening with a King/priest. Additionally there are also waters of life which are given to the Akhu to drink and live once more. They are usually offered by one or more of the tree Netjeru, who are usually Hethert or a form of Her. Upon drinking them, one is said to be able to live again or come alive again, just as Wesir did.
It's also why cool water is often given as a libation for the Akhu, both in Senut and in general. 😊

And truthfully? All of these things are connected and the same thing happening in different ways. All of these waters can be used to reference each other in any variety of ways.

I'm not entirely sure where it comes from or where to find the exact reference, but I've seen references to the waters in a lot of different places. A "Lady" of them would have power over them and influence upon them; She'd control them because they are Hers. Again, this is just my understanding of that title.
I haven't heard of the other titles outside of the LAGG and a few online references, but I think Tahekerut's suggestions on their meanings sound beautiful.

Senebty
Ra'awy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:40:52 am by Ra'awyserqet »
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 10:36:17 pm »
Em hotep Ra'awy *henu*

I'd forgotten I'd asked this a while back.  Thank you all.  :)
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:51:26 am »
Em hotep Ra'awy *henu*

I'd forgotten I'd asked this a while back.  Thank you all.  :)

Heh. I didn't realize it was so old! My apologies.
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279816
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything