Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Shrines and Purity  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Shrines and Purity
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:15:30 pm »
Quick question: I know that we have to purify for senut, but is it necessary to purify every time we go to the shrine? For example, if I just wanted to light a candle and pray at my shrine without going through the full senut rite, do I have to purify first? Will I end up "dirtying" my shrine if I don't purify for that?
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: Shrines and Purity
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:05 pm »
I think that depends on your parent and your own feelings. I do sit before shrine (but covered) when I am not pure enough to do Senut. It keeps me in the rhythm of daily ritual and I still enjoy the time. There is also a heka which mentions purifying yourself before shrine and lighting a lamp to start it. Presumably you can do that without also doing senut.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:37:10 pm »
Yeah. Honestly, it's really about the fact that we're only really supposed to do senut once a day (to be honest, I'd rather keep it that way lol). There are times, however, that I do really want to pray, and I feel so much more comfortable praying in front of my shrine. I keep my shrine in my closet (its a big closet, and the shrine has its own half of the closet for itself), so to keep it covered would mean that I would have to keep the door closed. I suppose I could do that, but it seems a bit less welcoming that way I guess.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »
Y'know, I hadn't thought of going into shrine with the shrine still covered as an informal way of spending time with the Gods directly without my panicking about Senut rules.

Taryt, I have a pashmina shawl hanging down like a curtain over my shrine for Them, would you be able to rig a similar curtain?
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline Tarekbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:14 pm »
Since I've been pretty wishy-washy about Senut lately, I've been going in and lighting candle and incense and praying without purifying first. I haven't received any complaints. I agree that it probably depends on your Parents, but Bast just seems pleased I'm trying harder to be there.
-Tarek

Sat Bast
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset her Set

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 10:00:03 pm »
When I had a more permanent shrine set up, I used to use a rug only used during senut. When I wanted to spend time with my Parents in front of my shrine without doing senut, I simply wouldn't use the rug. It worked for me and my Parents, beloveds, and akhu didn't mind. Now, with a travel shrine/box shrine, I use the rug to "claim" a space for religious use. When I want to spend time with my Parents or what have you, now I just think of them or do an activity that reminds me of them. That way, I am still honoring them, thus spending time with them despite not having a permanent set up. Hope that all makes sense... it's late and I'm exhausted. *sheepish grin*
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 02:06:41 am »
I don't purify before lighting a candle or giving offerings.  I only purify before doing Senut.  You can go to the Gods and Goddesses whenever you need to.  That's what a home/house shrine is for (as well as a space for Them, obviously).  

I'd make sure you were clean as in you had bathed at least that day and that you aren't noticeably dirty.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:08:24 am by TahekerutAset »
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 07:19:18 am »
Em hotep!

Right now, I have my Senut shrine in a small cabinet. On top of the cabinet, I have a small informal shrine set up which I use for informal prayers. Before I had this set-up though, I would pray at my Senut shrine but not touch anything that I used for Senut unless I had purified. I would light a candle that I'd specifically set aside for this use and do any offerings by holding the food or drink in a regular plate or cup up, rather than setting it on the shrine. This way I could do whatever small rituals I felt I needed to without worrying about the purity of my Senut set-up.

That's just my experience, of course - I think what everyone's suggestions have been great. :)

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:04:04 am »
I don't purify before making informal offerings either. I'll either make the offering in front of my main shrine--not using any of the "official" dishware--or I'll set up a temporary shrine. Or sometimes I'll just offer wherever I happen to be at the moment. ^_^  It's all good.

Shefyt
Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »
I don't typically purify for 'just because' stuff. If you're worried, you could always do a 'lesser' purification- wash your hands, or sprinkle some natron water over yourself, things like that. If the gods aren't complaining, I think you should be alright.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Wasiaset

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:52 am »
Em Hotep!

I don't purify before offering any informal and impromptu offerings.
If I am doing something in shrine other than Senut, that is planned, I usually wash my mouth and hands. And I do the incense purifucation prayer that is in The Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book.

Senebty
Wasi
Sat Aset-Serqet
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Sokar-Wesir
Fedw Diviner

-Valar Dohaeris

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »
For senut I practice purification as strictly as I can, only so I don't start slacking.  The least I do is wear clean, senut clothes, and rinse my mouth with water and natron (I often give my face and arms a quick rinse with water and natron too) before purifying the shrine and doing senut.  For informal offerings I just make sure I'm clean and tidy, if I've come home from work I take my uniform off and replace it with clean pj's, especially if it was a long day.  I have a coaster specifically for informal offerings infront of a few statuettes of dieties.
Sat Djehuty
Meryt Bast her Aset-Seqert

Read, subscribe and follow me on my WordPress page

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289050
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217