collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Tefnut  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Deswy

• Shemsu
Tefnut
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:36 pm »
Regarding Tefnut..she is linked to the lunar and solar sky, right?  I've read somewhere that She is considered to be the Left and Right Eye of Ra?
DESWY "Two Knives"
Daughter of Heru-sa-Aset
Daughter of Sekhmet-Hethert
Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Amun

Offline Meresinepu

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Tefnut
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:53:45 pm »
Em hotep Deswy *henu*

In response to your question ...here is the information from our glossary of names in regards to Tefnut :)  I wasn't sure if you saw this so put it out here so you could get some quick info on your request.

Tefnut - "Sky-spittle (i.e., rain)" One of the two first creations of the Self-Created One, Tem, Tefnut is twin to Shu and embodies the concept of airborne moisture, clouds, dew, or rain (Shu embodies the concept of air, wind or atmosphere). Tefnut is sometimes equated with Nit and Nut, and is depicted in New Kingdom jewelry and art as a female sphinx trampling the enemies of the Two Lands, equated with the Great Royal Wife of the king. Tefnut is generally depicted as a woman with a lion's head, surmounted by the sun-disk (resembling Sekhmet; however, Tefnut's ears are routinely pointed, whereas Sekhmet's are rounded), seated on a throne. She is sometimes shown as a full lion along with Her brother/twin Shu.

Hope that helps.  If you are looking for a more detailed response please say so and I'm sure you can get pointed in the right direction.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Meresinepu »
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Deswy

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:51:53 pm »
Thank you, no, I knew that much already, thanks anyway...but I read about Her being called the Left Eye and Right Eye of Ra, I think referring mostly to the Left Eye of Ra as being the Moon and the Right Eye of Ra as being the Sun...I just wanted confirmation before I wrote about it on my blog.  I'm just doing more research....thought I'd start at Home, at the HoN forums...thanks, and many hugs for the help, Rev. Tania (Meresinepu).

Senebty,
Deswy
DESWY "Two Knives"
Daughter of Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »
It's good to see you around again Deswy.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Deswy

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »
Thanks.  I've been here, but had a lot on my plate.  Still do have a lot going on. But, I plan on being more visible...(winks)
DESWY "Two Knives"
Daughter of Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Deswy

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:48:50 pm »
The more I'm reading, the more it appears that Sekhmet becomes the Right Eye of Ra, not Tefnut...it depends on what you read.
DESWY "Two Knives"
Daughter of Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:20 pm »
Hi Deswy. Where are you getting your information? Sounds like an interesting read.

I've always thought of Tefnut as a combination of water and fire (ie: the Eye of Ra), but that might be partial UPG. . .

If she's sometimes equated with Nit or Nut, I guess there are at least some nighttime aspects to Tefnut.
Greetings Bast, lovely Eye of Ra,
you are what shelter is to a wanderer
in the desert when night sets
and the dangerous beasts come out.

Offline Deswy

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:46:34 pm »
I've been finding sources all over the internet.  One interesting site is a Thelemic one: thelemapedia.org which I find...intriguing. There is a good deal of information on the Web but some conflict...and Tefnut appears to have morphed into Sekhmet at some point...but then, that happens...
DESWY "Two Knives"
Daughter of Heru-sa-Aset

Offline MiMafdet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 11:05:00 pm »
Just wanting to add, Henadology touches on this slightly..
Quote from: Henadology
There is slightly more explicit support in Egyptian texts for Shu and Tefnut being considered as solar and lunar principles. In CT spell 607, the two eyes of Horus, “which issued from Atum, are Shu and Tefnut,” the Horus referred to here being Horus-the-Elder or Haroeris, the aspect of Horus which is the sky itself, his two eyes the sun and moon, which are here Shu and Tefnut. As for which is solar and which lunar, Tefnut is perhaps the more convincing candidate for lunar principle only inasmuch as the myth of the ‘Distant Goddess’ is at times applied to the lunar cycle and the ‘Eye of Re’ which returns to him is identified with the Eye of Horus (the wedjat) which is wounded and healed or stolen and restored, a myth referring to the moon among other things. Tefnut’s principal associations, however, are strongly solar.
http://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/tefnut/
Sat Mafdet her Nisut (AUS)
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Hedjhotep-Heru-sa-Aset, her Shezmu

Regardless if I'm active, if you can read this: I am always here for you. Email MiMafdet@gmail if you ever are in need. Of anything. Ever. ♥

Offline Deswy

• Shemsu
Many Thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:28:03 pm »
Ooooohhh...thank you...nice.  I like that very much. I'm a magnet, keep throwing things my way....

Hugs,
Deswy

DESWY "Two Knives"
Daughter of Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Tif

• Remetj
Re: Many Thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »
Thanks for that Henadology excerpt, MiMafdet!

Thanks for telling me about your sources, too, Deswy. I'm not into Thelemic stuff, but it's still pretty interesting.

I find that the Eye of Ra goddesses do tend to meld and morph with each other. That's not to say they're all the same goddess somehow. They just sometimes wear the same hat. ;)
Greetings Bast, lovely Eye of Ra,
you are what shelter is to a wanderer
in the desert when night sets
and the dangerous beasts come out.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3311
  • stats Total Posts: 299380
  • stats Total Topics: 20542
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything