collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 57
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A Find on the Internet  (Read 1379 times)

A Find on the Internet
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:37 pm »
Em Hotep!

In browsing the net I happened upon this. I a curious what everyone might think of what is said and thought here as the subject matter is essentially about us.

The Senut Ritual

Of course i personally feel that any text from antiquity that is translated for use among the modern world would of course be reworded in such a way as to be easily understood and used by modern people without the scholarly knowledge to make this conversion themselves. it was a Ritual lovely designed to follow the path and still praise Netjer in a fashion we believe to be Correct.

Dua Netjer!

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: A Find on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
Em hotep

The Senut rite that is given in the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook does indeed have pieces within it that do come from the Pyramid Text. The author of the Prayerbook, Tamara Siuda, is not only the founder of Kemetic Orthodoxy, our faith practiced here, but is also holds a graduate degree in Egyptology from the University of Chicago/Oriental Institute(specifically in philology, and thus can read and translate hieroglyphs.

The entire Senut rite does not come from the Pyramid texts. The Prayerbook explains that the Incense prayer included in the Senut comes from the Pyramid texts (the applicable Pyramid text can be found online.)

The Senut devotional rite is intended for private and household use --not as a state ritual(households in antiquity did their own personal and private devotions--state rituals in temples were completely different.)

By the way it is a shame that the person who posted on that website you reference did not show the courtesy enough to make the proper attribution of authorship when quoting the passage from the Prayerbook in reference to the Incense prayer. On the Internet omitting such attribution happens too frequently, and is always inappropriate.

The entire Senut rite was written by Tamara Siuda. It appears in her work, the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook, which contains prayers from ancient texts which she has translated as a result of her attaining a Graduate degree. While the Senut rite is a "modern" work (and claims to be nothing but that), it is based upon ancient texts, and scholarly understanding of the practice of the ancient religion.

Senebty

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Sedjemes »
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Re: A Find on the Internet
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:46 pm »
I have recently purchased a copy of the Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book from Tamara Siuda myself and I study it daily. I am quite satisfied with the book and am happy to have a signed copy with a blessing written on the cover page.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:58:15 pm by Yamanu »

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288214
  • stats Total Topics: 19543
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217