collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: About Set and balance  (Read 13344 times)

Offline Hentyhotep

• Shemsu
Re: About Set and balance
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 05:30:24 pm »
well said Mimi :)

I liked what you said about change especially.  Without change and temporary chaos we would have stagnation and stagnation is not balance.

It is exactly in this regard that I can see my two Fathers as being so complimentary to each other.  One represents stability and the other represents change. Both are necessary for the proper functioning of the Universe.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:43:39 pm by Hentyhotep »
Hentyhotep
"The Two Sides are Reconciled"
Sa Wesir her Set; mery Wepwawet-Yinepu her Ra-Heru-akhety

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »
Quote from: Hentyhotep
I think absolutist thinking would have much to do with the Inquisitions.  Moral absolutism is what inspires inquisitions.

But, you are correct that this is off topic.  It was only an example I was using of why equating everything that one might perceive as chaotic and disorderly as bad and evil or demonic can have nasty consequences.  Whether one is referring to the Inquisition or the Holocaust or the 9-11 bombing matters little.  My point is that this kind of us (the "good guys" on the side of God) v. them (the "bad guys" who are the evil Satan) mentality is short sighted and can lead to serious social problems.

However, moral absolutism is generally a bogeyman and these situations are far, far more complex than that. Moderator says drop it for the second time.

Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »
Quote from: meresnetjer

But it is undeniable that Set has done some dodgy things in the contest with Heru. So, how is that regarded in terms of ma'at?

Em hotep, Meresnetjer.

My understanding of Ma'at, especially regarding Set, is this:  For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.  We make the Action, Ma'at makes the Reaction.  Ma'at is not morality, or good deeds, or good behaviors.  She is cosmic balance, cosmic law.  She is the center around which all creation circles, the foundation upon which everything rests.  

It is true that, in some of the myths about Set, especially in relation to Wesir and Heru-sa-Aset, He behaved in not-so-nice ways.  He also received some not-so-nice repercussions.  He did not act outside of Ma'at when He did these things, as no Created being has the ability to act outside of the laws of the Universe (Ma'at).  To act outside of Ma'at would mean there was absolutely no reaction, at any time or place, to one's action.  

Often times, we use the word ma'at to describe the current legal and moral laws of the land.  We also use ma'at interchangeably with the word/idea of Justice.  These are human attempts to explain the best way for humans to stay close to Ma'at's center (ie, have fewer or more pleasant reactions/consequences).  Human ma'at is not cosmic ma'at, or, if it is, it is only a tiny portion of it.

Did Set act outside of the human perception of ma'at when He murdered His brother?  Yes He did. His behavior is not what humans would consider moral, legal, or ethical. Did He act outside the laws of the Created Universe, or Ma'at?  No, He did not.  He exercised His free will, then bore the consequences of His Actions (consequences = Ma'at's reaction).

Having said all that, it is important to keep in mind that:
1.  These are allegories, used to explain natural and historical events, not historical fact
2.  These allegories changed over time, depending on who was in power, and who was doing the storytelling
3.  Many of the surviving stories are told by Greeks, who were    
attempting to either understand, or manipulate, the mythology of a culture not their own.

The allegory of Set and Wesir is most likely applied to the constant battle for supremacy between the black, fertile land of Wesir and the dry desert land of Set.  The death of Wesir may have been an attempt to explain a severe and extended drought, or even seasonal dry spells.  The tears of Aset and Nebt-het could be the rains returning to the land, restoring the fertile soil.  Or this allegory could have been a type of political propaganda used to explain a military defeat.  Or a combination of both.

Hope my thoughts and understanding help you in some small way.

Blessings and Senebty,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 09:34:42 pm »
Set is not my beloved. He's not in my RPD. With Heru-sa-aset as my father, you'd think I'd have some reason to dislike him. I don't believe that he attacked my divined Father, or his Father, out of some noble calling. I think he really was being a jerk.

But I don't hate him any more than I hate snakes, or tigers or any other dangerous animal. I'm cautious around them. I don't pretend that they are house pets. If a dangerous predator started attacking me, you can bet I would defend myself as needed. Set is not tame. None of our gods are tame, not even the "good" ones.

I read somewhere about studies in which men with high testosterone levels can be real bullies. No surprise there. But when their focus was turned to some outside opposition, suddenly they transform into solid team players. Right now Set is working for us. I'll give him plenty of credit for that. I'm not going to pretend that things can't change, because change is practically his middle name.

For right now, he's doing some good work here. I honestly do like him.

Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »
I honestly think that the gods are outside our moralities, our guesstimations, and anything else that involves us. If we were to ask Set why he did it, I think we would only get the answer we expect, or an answer that exists somewhere within our minds at that point in time.

(UPG alert)

I won't claim Set isn't a bully at times. I've worked with him before, and the first time we met, he basically snorted at me, called me a weak, little whiny brat, told me to suck it up and stop wallowing in self pity, flexed his muscles, and basically said, "Don't bother me unless you put up or shut up."

The next time I met him, I was so geared up, ready for him to insult me and make me feel like I wasn't good enough, and feeling like I would want to at least throw something at him. And, d'oh, he looked at me and talked to me like a normal person would. It honestly made me wonder if he wasn't screwed up in the head with some sort of bipolar disorder (I tend to over humanize).

After speaking to him in different states of mind, I find he dislikes a certain type of behavior in me; doing nothing and/or complaining about it. I can't say that Wesir was doing nothing and/or complaining about it, because I have only had one offhanded experience with Wesir. That said, Wesir represents lack of movement, and maybe that's why Set's such a butt.

I mean, what point of view is the Contendings of Heru and Set really written from? It's definitely not from Set's point of view. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:48:22 pm by Khukua »
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 04:05:11 am »
I hate to keep sticking my fingers in this topic, but language like "screwed up in the head with some sort of bipolar disorder" is not only an inaccurate depiction of a real medical problem, but it is disrespectful and alienating to our brothers and sisters in the faith who struggle with mental illness.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:57 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni
I hate to keep sticking my fingers in this topic, but language like "screwed up in the head with some sort of bipolar disorder" is not only an inaccurate depiction of a real medical problem, but it is disrespectful and alienating to our brothers and sisters in the faith who struggle with mental illness.  

I was speaking stereotypically, not of those with the actual illness. My father was bipolar, my brother is bipolar, my man is bipolar, and I am bipolar. I was describing my real feelings of, "What is going on? Why is everything flip-flopped?" in the most accurate terms I could think of at the time I typed it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:31:02 pm by Khukua »
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal