collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Celebrating Easter?  (Read 4490 times)

Celebrating Easter?
« on: March 30, 2013, 07:54:36 am »
I was looking through the shrines thread the other day, and saw one which was dedicated to a hare goddess (I can't remember her name, unfortunately), in celebration of Easter. I was wondering how everyone else celebrates Easter, if you celebrate at all. Is there a Kemetic holiday that falls on a similar date, like Moomas? Do you honour a particular name that reminds you of Easter? I know there are members here that practice Wicca as well as Kemetic Orthodoxy, do you celebrate Ostara? Seeing as Easter is celebrated all over the world by people of many different religions, I'm curious to know how you all celebrate!

Offline IbuPtah

• Divined Remetj
Re: Celebrating Easter?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:17:31 am »
Em hotep,

I don't actually celebrate Easter or any of its kin, but I can tell you Wenut is the name of the hare goddess :)

Senebty
Sa Ptah-Sokar
Mery Amun-Ra, Sekhmet-Hetheret, her Nebethet-Nit-Seshat
Fedw Diviner for PtahSokar

Offline Tarekbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:40:05 am »
I don't really celebrate Easter either. But I do hide eggs for my children, because that's fun family stuff, not religious activities.
-Tarek

Sat Bast
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset her Set

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:12:19 am »
Em Hotep, Amber,

I celebrate Easter, and every other non-Kemetic holiday as secular, family-oriented events. They have no religious significance for me but they sometimes do for my family, and I will glom onto any chance I have to spend time with them. I have a good friend who is Hindu with whom I have celebrated many Christmases and her philosophy is "any excuse for a party!" I tend to follow that myself.

I don't believe we have any Easter-like holidays at this time of year. Our seasons don't match up exactly with those of western Europe (I think our spring, Peret, starts in December/January), and I think we have more than just one stuff-growing-out-of-the-ground festival (and multiple god-specific festivals that contain renewal/growth components), so there's nothing AFAIK that would map directly onto Easter. I'm no calendar expert and don't have time to scour the calendar for particular dates, but off the top of my head there are Wesir festivals involving growing, and the festivals of chewing onions and cucumbers sound to me like growing (or harvesting; something plant-related). I also tend to read divine marriage and birth celebrations as renewal festivals, at least in part.

I don't honor Netjer in any particular way at Easter (unless a Kemetic holiday relating to my gods falls on the day), because Easter's not a Kemetic thing. Even when we do have a holiday of ours that falls at a similar time as some other holiday, "Moomas" for example is not Kemetic Christmas or Kemetic Yule. It's it's own thing, even if people have started to christmasify some aspects of it in their personal practice. If I was Wiccan, I would not bring Kemetic gods into Ostara because, as I understand it, Ostara has its own gods. I keep my non-Kemetic practices totally separate.

YMMV.

Senebty,
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:18:02 am »
Oh yes, it was Wenut! I thought it was a nice idea to offer her chocolate easter bunnies. :P
And I agree, Arieni, any excuse for a party! And considering most of these Western holidays come from a mixture of completely different traditions, I always think that it's nice to celebrate them regardless of one's beliefs. :)

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:28:47 am »
The nice thing about Easter is a day later, when all the spring things are on sale, making for a good time to make your own personal offerings and rituals. A Kemetic interfaith group I belong to is planning to do a rite to Wenut next Sunday for that reason. ;)
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar and Wepwawet
Kemetic Humanism / New England Kemetic Organizing

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:51:29 pm »
As I am philosophically Christian in many ways I celebrate Holy week, though "celebrate" may not be the best term for it. It is somewhat of a somber and meditative time for me to reflect on Christ's teachings, my spiritual path and a renewal of sorts for myself. Though I have been to a few Ostara festivals they have never hit me very deeply (more of an autumn person anyway). I occasionally go to your normal Easter events for family and get an Easter basket for our daughter because why would we deprive her of the fun and goodies but that's about it.  

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:35 pm »
I tend to give Wesir a chocolate easter bunny around this time of year as an offering.  He has a hare form and the bunny stems from when I went up to Tawy to have my RPD done.  There was nothing but feet left on that dark chocolate bunny.
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10:04 pm »
I don't celebrate it in any fashion, BUT I do like to eat chocolate eggs! LOL
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Tahesatmuti

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:01 am »
I'm doing a ritual for Wenut today. I have a bunch of goodies for Her. I'm also going to church with my in-laws beforehand. Later in the day, I'll be doing secular activities with my own family. Anytime with family I'll take. Also I got the push from my Akhu to go to church today, so I'm going for them also.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:36:01 am by Tahesatmuti »
-Tahesatmuti (Tahesat)
Catholic follower of ma'at.

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:41:55 am »
In Senut today I'll just be thanking the Netjer for everything good that's happened today (the family dinner, chocolate eggs, the amazing Spring weather). Nothing terribly Easter-ish.

Senebty!
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 08:19:35 am »
I have gleefully appropriated Easter as a day to hold a Feast of Wenut, because chocolate bunnies! Also eggs, which would be relevant to Her aspect as a snake. But no, there's no authentically traditional Kemetic holiday corresponding with Easter that I know of. And I don't celebrate Easter as such.

I'm planning to go out later today, do a bit of spring yard cleaning, and plant some pansies in Her honor. ^_^

Shefyt
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Shayi

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 07:37:39 pm »
Well, I celebrated in a way - went out with hubby and the dog, saw family, and lit a candle to Wenut, to celebrate Her, with a big golden Lindt bunny to her as well! :)
~~Shayiwepwawet~~ (Wepwawet sends me)

sat Wepwawet-Yinepu, meryt Bast-Mut her Ptah

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:09 am »
It's nice to hear about everyone's celebrations! Quite a few people seem to be honouring Wenut, who I haven't heard much about before, and I couldn't find anything about her on the forums. Has anyone got any experienced with Wenut they'd like to share?

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55:34 pm »
Wenut was the hare-headed Goddess associated with the 15th nome of Upper Egypt (the site of the city of Hermopolis, the center of Djehuty's worship). She also had a snake aspect, and I've found a source that asserts She had a lion-headed form as well. She was called upon in the Coffin Texts and invoked in a spell to help with the birth of a child; in addition, She's one of the Seven Arrows of Bast, a group of deities who are over the spirits and powers that serve Bast.

In my personal experiences, She's been very gentle and joyful. She's still an Eye of Ra, however, so I'd imagine She could be fierce and fiery at need! I see Her as a messenger between the Seen and Unseen worlds (especially as relates to Wesir and the coming of the green, growing plants), a swimmer in the Nun, and the Lady of Purity. Other people's experiences may vary, of course.

Here's Helmsman of Inepu's Wenut shrine from last year; here's mine from this weekend.

As usual, Henadology is a great source.

Shefyt
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955