collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Being Kemetic While Living At Home  (Read 4995 times)

Being Kemetic While Living At Home
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:54:06 pm »
Hay, guys.

I know that I haven't been on in what seems like forever but I decided to post this. I'm 33-years-old and being forced to still live at home with mother due to the fact that I have no money. We moved to Kentucky over nine months ago and I wasn't able to bring anything with me that was part of my religion. I'm finally getting back to my practice and guess what, my mother wants my statues gone.

I don't know what the Kemetic view of this is. But what I would love to know is are there any Kemetics out there that still live at home, either by force or still looking around, and what should I do. I did post this on Sharon's forum, the author that did 'Following the Sun' and she recommended a cabinet. I'm getting one next month and decorating it only enough to hide them.

Your opinion would be lovely.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Shayi

• Shemsu
Re: Being Kemetic While Living At Home
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:59:51 pm »
Well, I did have to move home at the age of 23 and lived back with my mum and step-dad until I was just 27, but my folks are very tolerant and understanding so they had no problem with me having my shrine up in my room.  

However, as a suggestion, could you use a sort of 'travel shrine' for now?  I have one that is basically a small box, with some miniature statues in, a little bowl, a tealight, and a small holder for cone incense.  I've painted the inside of the box, and it's what I have taken away on holiday with me.  It's small, neat and compact (about twenty centimetres by ten by ten) and everything packs away into the box.  Maybe you could use something like that until you are able to have your own place and have your statues out once again?
~~Shayiwepwawet~~ (Wepwawet sends me)

sat Wepwawet-Yinepu, meryt Bast-Mut her Ptah

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »
I have a box that I bought two years ago. Thank you so much. I'm so lucky that my statues are mini and not large. I'll do something cool with it. Summer project time.

Offline Shayi

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »
Not a problem :) It is a fun project - one that you can enjoy, and dedicate to Netjer at the same time :) Glad to help!

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »
See this is one of the main reason why I want to join, besides feeling a connection to the Netjer, I like being around people that will help you and inspire you.

Offline Shayi

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:56:07 pm »
There is a wonderful community here I do agree :) It's one of the reasons I love it here too! :) There's always someone who will answer your questions or try to help out - I'm just glad I could help a bit this time :)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 05:56:15 pm »
Oh I agree. Have been on this board for three years and everyone is wonderful. Even when I was going through my Christian ranting, though the people that believe that whites are taking Kemet from them get me annoyed. I just block and ignore. Saves Sekhmet from having to pull me to the side. Giggles.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:12:40 pm »
Wonderful to meet you! I am in a similar situation and I keep my shrine in a separate cabinet. :)I am using what most would consider a travel shrine, but I find it very useful in this environment.
Senebty,
Mehinefertemra (Nefertem-Ra fills me)
Son of Nefertem-Ra
Beloved of Set
Blog|Facebook|Tumblr

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 07:47:47 pm »
I'm so happy to meet a fellow Kemetic in the same situation. Makes me feel like I'm not alone. The whole thing shocked me that my mother, who thinks that I'm 13, is telling me to get rid of them. Having them in the box, and away from her eyes, keeps her away from me. On another note: I live on the second floor and my mother has bad knees. So I pretty much don't have to worry about her suddenly coming up.

I also pray as a major part of my practice.

Offline MiMafdet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:44 pm »
On the application for joining the House, it states:
The following applies to all potential members. Kemetic Orthodoxy reserves the right to refuse membership to any person who, in our opinion, cannot comply:

Persons over 18 years of age not financially or domestically dependent on another person are free to apply at will.

Persons under 18, or persons under OR over 18 living with their parent(s) or guardian(s), or who are financially dependent on another person, must supply written consent from that parent/guardian/provider. Kemetic Orthodoxy is pro-family, and causing a rift between a person and his or her parents or significant other(s) would be against ma'at and all ideals we embrace.

Please note that "consent" does not necessarily mean agreement with the teachings or beliefs of Kemetic Orthodoxy, but that those to whom a potential member must answer agree that (s)he has the right to join our faith, and at minimum, support his or her decision to convert.

If a family member openly opposes your bringing statuary into their house, let alone joining the faith and practicing, you may consider having an open talk with your family regarding your faith and what they will and will not allow. Netjer is patient, and family is very important - joining the temple should NOT be something that breaks or pushes the family apart. As another member put it, "this sort of is a family religion sort of thing..." I cannot explain this nearly as elegantly as other temple members can, I apologize.

I pray that your family will see some reason or become more open-minded about this faith, but if they do not, perhaps Netjer believes you need just a little more time?
Sat Mafdet her Nisut (AUS)
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Hedjhotep-Heru-sa-Aset, her Shezmu

Regardless if I'm active, if you can read this: I am always here for you. Email MiMafdet@gmail if you ever are in need. Of anything. Ever. ♥

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »
My mother didn't have a problem with all the other times that I had statues. Also, she has no idea that I'm joining HON as I've not told her. Since I'm over the age of 18 I do not feel the need to tell her what I'm doing as I don't tell her everything that I'm doing. I do believe that religion shouldn't tear anyone apart but for some unknown reason, it always does.

My mother has not mentioned them since that time, two days ago. I'm not dependent on her, my name is just on the lease. It's been on every lease since I've been born. My mother is actually dependent on me, as I take care of her. Also I can sign up and be put on the waiting list and leave once a place opens up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:40:54 pm by Following_Sekhmet »

Offline MiMafdet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 01:38:01 am »
Em hotep, Following_Sekhmet. I apologize, I must have misunderstood your situation, and been unable to articulate exactly the point I meant to emphasize.

Quote from: Following_Sekhmet
I know that I haven't been on in what seems like forever but I decided to post this. I'm 33-years-old and being forced to still live at home with mother due to the fact that I have no money. We moved to Kentucky over nine months ago and I wasn't able to bring anything with me that was part of my religion. I'm finally getting back to my practice and guess what, my mother wants my statues gone.

When you said "due to the fact I have no money" I assumed that this made you financially dependent on your mother - with no other details available at the time. With the phrase "I wasn't able to bring anything with me that was part of my religion" coupled with "my mother wants my statues gone" I assumed the reason you couldn't bring your statues was because she wanted them gone, and that the statues, themselves, were a source of conflict between family members.

I don't know what the Kemetic view of this is. But what I would love to know is are there any Kemetics out there that still live at home, either by force or still looking around, and what should I do. I did post this on Sharon's forum, the author that did 'Following the Sun' and she recommended a cabinet. I'm getting one next month and decorating it only enough to hide them.

With these further details, I came to the conclusion that you are going to hide your statues (assuming from your mother, or family that disagrees with the faith) in the cabinet you'll be getting. From that, I further surmised that the conflict about your situation is such that you must resort to hiding your faith - something I have personally experienced.

Your opinion would be lovely.

I will not say, ever, that I speak for[/b] the House. The point I was trying to get across wasn't that you were or were not "emancipated" (legally, you are your own person, yes), it was that if joining the House would cause conflict in your home, it goes against Ma'at. The last thing our gods want is to be a source of conflict between you and your family...

My mother didn't have a problem with all the other times that I had statues. Also, she has no idea that I'm joining HON as I've not told her. Since I'm over the age of 18 I do not feel the need to tell her what I'm doing as I don't tell her everything that I'm doing. I do believe that religion shouldn't tear anyone apart but for some unknown reason, it always does.

I agree that you should not feel obligated to tell your mother every little thing you do - you are an adult. I agree that religion shouldn't tear family apart - however, I disagree with your statement that, "for some unknown reason, it always does." In this situation, I feel, personally, in my opinion that the best course of action is to be open and honest about your decision- that way, there's not a misunderstanding or any surprise as to the nature of your statues or practices in the future. In fact, I've heard of several people whose families have joined with them and taken the Beginner's Class together in order to have a more clear understanding of the faith!

My mother has not mentioned them since that time, two days ago. I'm not dependent on her, my name is just on the lease. It's been on every lease since I've been born. My mother is actually dependent on me, as I take care of her. Also I can sign up and be put on the waiting list and leave once a place opens up.

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is dependent; care for another person is difficult in itself, let alone a family member, friend, or loved one. I empathize with your situation. It is extremely responsible of you to take on your mother's health, her bills, her medication; I care for the disabled and dependent, myself, so to see someone who lives for the care of family I have the utmost respect for.
Again, I didn't mean to offend; this must have been a miscommunication. My main "point" was that "Kemetic Orthodoxy is pro-family, and causing a rift between a person and his or her parents or significant other(s) would be against ma'at and all ideals we embrace."

I would never wish to try to turn anyone from their spiritual Path, moreso if it led them to our beautiful temple. I do hope that I have not upset you in any way, and that this post may explain my intentions. :)
Sat Mafdet her Nisut (AUS)
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Hedjhotep-Heru-sa-Aset, her Shezmu

Regardless if I'm active, if you can read this: I am always here for you. Email MiMafdet@gmail if you ever are in need. Of anything. Ever. ♥

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:44 am »
I'm sorry, I should of been more clear in my first post. The reason that I couldn't bring my statues with me when I moved was because of bedbugs. We had a slum land lady who is an lawyer and thinks that because she's one that she can do whatever she wants. I had to throw them out because they were covered with these nasty creatures. That brought a lot of stress to the family big time. The statues that my mother wants gone, though I don't really believe that she does, are the ones that I bought three days ago.

My mother doesn't know that I'm Kemetic, but she doesn't tell me to stop reading about the Ancients. She fully supports my decision to be an archaeologist and really likes Dr. Hawass. The statues aren't the conflict, a lot of things are the conflict. Heck even Obama causes conflict, though I really don't know why. Anyway, things are really confusing with her jumping from one thing that displeases her to another.

She has nothing against Egyptian Paganism and supported me when I first started this path because it wasn't Wicca. She really likes the founder of KO and has said that she thinks that the woman is really smart. Grin. Once again, sorry if I wasn't clear on what I said when I wrote the first post.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:24 am »
Oh I forgot to add that I'm going to be using my own money to pay for my RPG. My mother doesn't object when I use my own money for anything. Personally this is just a phase that she's going through. Her main attack is on Obama, that fat guy from North Korea, and Gay Advocates that throw bricks through church windows to force Christians to remain silent on their religious beliefs. Oh yeah, and that guy that shot that guard in Washington DC FRC because the Southern Poverty Law Center put them on the list of hate groups and he wanted to kill everyone in the building because they don't support Gay Marriage.

Loony, anyone.

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:56 pm »
Em hotep and Welcome!

Another thing people use are cabinet shrines. If you can find one that locks, even better. You could even wear the key as a closeness with Netjer and the dieties whose images are within.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

* Most Recent Topics

topic Lexikon der Agyptologie Translations
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Asetmehheri
January 27, 2021, 01:26:18 pm
topic India and Egypt
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Lita45