Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 88
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Food For the Dead?  (Read 1104 times)

Food For the Dead?
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:34:08 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I always found this interesting. I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the ancient Egyptians found certain foods to be taboo and where not meant for the consumption of the living. This included certain root vegetables such as potatoes, beats, radishes, carrots and onions .... basically it was thought that anything which grew underground was seen as unfit for the living and meant for the dead.

Is this true?

I raise this question because I have grown up near to some south-american cultures where they present certain foods to the dead; more specifically on Nov. 1st or 'Dia de la Muerta' While bread and corn are most normally presented as food for our beloved dead, onions and carrots are also given to the dead on this occasions.

I also would love to think that these foods were not seen as taboo to our ancestors of the Nile Valley because I love onions! And recently while searching youtube I came across a rather well structured mini uk documentary on the daily life of the ancient Egyptians. While they mainly focused on life for the Egyptians living in the New Kingdom, they mentioned that a normal meal for an Valley Worker would have been salad, flat bread and onions! More specifically an onion sandwich! Yum!...

I suppose beliefs can change. Perhaps for the people of the Old Kingdom or earlier these foods were seen as taboo for the living. It is known that onions and garlic were commonly used in the earlier periods to stuff mummies! However, perhaps by the New Kingdom peoples' thoughts shifted on what was taboo and not and they came to integrate these tasty foods into their diet'.

Any thoughts?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by AnkaRa »
Praise Ma'at and Embrace Ra Daily

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Food For the Dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:59:12 pm »
Em hotep!

There were some food taboos, especially for priests and the king, but I am sure there were none around potatoes as they did not exist in Kemet. I don't know of any specifics about not offering certain foods for the dead. But I know some were more likely to be given due to availability, like bread.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2919
  • stats Total Posts: 285262
  • stats Total Topics: 19326
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217