Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Gods of the Forests  (Read 1956 times)

Gods of the Forests
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:37:56 pm »
Are there any Gods and/or Goddesses in our religion Who either are or can be Deities of the forest?
Akins

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Gods of the Forests
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:08:20 pm »
Hotep

There were no forests in ancient Egypt as we can think of forests today. In antiquity, Hapi was associated with the Nile (but Tefnut was also associated with moisture). Wesir is associated with growing things, which can include plants (but Min also is associated with fertility and Renenutet was associated with harvest). Set was associated with desert (not just simply the geographical entity known as desert, but with all that was *outside* of the settled places.

As one might infer from what I wrote above, deities overlapped each other in many respects. I like to think of our gods as associated with concepts more than with more narrowly specific things. But I do talk particularly with Wesir when I am amongst trees and shrubs. Others here may have different gods to whom they talk.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:17 pm »
For what it's worth, I always feel Bast very strongly when I'm out walking in the woods, even though She's not traditionally associated with trees or forests.

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Tanebet

• Rev. Astrid - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Some Goddesses had a connection to trees. "Lady of the Sycamore" was e.g. an epithet of Hethert.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:42 pm »
These are all basically the same conclusions I came to. There are several Gods Who are represented by animals of the woods and forests and there are Goddesses of the trees. Neith is also the Goddess of the Hunt, and hunting takes place usually in the forests or woods. But like it was stated here, there were no forests in Egypt, and therefore no Deity with that specific title, so we would have to incorporate Them into our own geography based on similar attributes.
Akins

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »
Quote from: Shefytbast
For what it's worth, I always feel Bast very strongly when I'm out walking in the woods, even though She's not traditionally associated with trees or forests.

Shefyt

I can see that.  I can totally, utterly see & feel that in a way that seems very right and resonates well with me.  And I'm not even particularly familiar with Bast, or many other of the Names really.  

Wesir/Ausar always seemed too agricultural to work in wild places, and Set too arid/barren for a place like a forest that's very much verdant and living.

I usually keep Geb in mind when I'm in the woods and use that time to give a nod to Him as the "base layer" spirit of Earth.

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:50:18 am »
em hotep

I agree with what has been said, but perhaps we can put it into a certain order. We can just sort by the different associations one might have with forests:

The forest as a wild and dangerous place outside of civilization: definitely Set, perhaps Nit for the hunting thing

The forest as a place of abundant growth and vegetation: Wesir, Min or Hapi

If you have a favourite individual tree: HetHert, Nut or Aset as tree goddesses

The forest as a place of recreation, a beautiful place to spend your free time or meet up with your lover: Then, the corresponding place in Ancient Egypt would be the papyrus marshes and riverbanks. The associated Goddess would be HetHert, as the wild cow of the marshes, and Bast would fit in here nicely, too.
We would even have a similarity in sound: If we take the sound of the sistrum as the sound of papyrus plants whispering in the wind, that's quite similar to the whisper of leaves in a forest.

What do you think?

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Tuaira

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 07:40:03 am »
As individual tree gods go; I read about many gods who were tied with some tree at some point; Wepwawet, Nut, Hethert, Aset, Ra, Wesir. As for Forests; I connect with Geb and Set. Set because as mentioned - the wild nature of Forests (and as well as the fact that wild pigs/boar can be found roaming in forests). I also had a UPG once in the woods that involved a Set-shaped log.
Sat Ra meryt Nut her Set

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3179
  • stats Total Posts: 295941
  • stats Total Topics: 20228
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955