Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Many Moon Gods  (Read 1700 times)

The Many Moon Gods
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »
In our religion, there are several Gods of the Moon, such as Khonsu, Djehuty, Bast, and Tefnut I believe. On what levels do you believe these Gods rule the Moon?

Em Hotep
Akins

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
Re: The Many Moon Gods
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:26:03 pm »
Bast is actually quite solar, she didn't have lunar connotations until the Greeks equated her with Artemis.  One of the first things that grabbed me about the Ancient Egyptian deities as a preteen was that the god/goddess arrangements were reversed and not typical--there were solar goddesses and lunar gods aplenty.  I can't think of any true lunar/moon goddesses off the top of my head, come to think of it.

I guess if I had to arrange it, offhand I would venture that Djehuty is the regulatory, governing power of the moon and Khonsu is sort of...the moonlight (or lack of) on earth.  While the reflectiveness might be the Eye of Horus in it all.

Sounds good enough to me :P

Offline Sageling

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:43 pm »
Quote from: Akins
On what levels do you believe these Gods rule the Moon?

What exactly do you mean by that? Are you asking if we believe Names with lunar associations literally make the moon rise and set?
Blog|Tumblr
--
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:46 am »
What I mean is, in what way do you believe these Gods control the Moon?
Akins

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:14:26 am »
Well, each deity is associated with the moon for specific reasons.  Wesir's association has to do with his death (new moon) and renewal (full moon).  

Djehuty's has to do with being Ra's Vizier during Night (as a moon god) and as a deity associated with the passage of time.  

And Khonsu's has to do with time and the phases with his own myth (which I can't seem to remember at the moment).

Iah is considered the Moon Disk itself, like Aten is the Solar Disk.  

Bast is a solar Goddess in Egyptian myth; she's associated with the moon by the Greeks/Romans. Tefnut is also a solar Goddess.  

Heru-sa-Aset and Heru Wer has to do with His myth of healing his Eye:  Injured in New Moon and healed in Full Moon.  

All of these Gods are Gods of the Moon.  There isn't a competition here.  Healing, renewal and the passage of time seem to be common themes.    
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:15:22 am by TahekerutAset »
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3179
  • stats Total Posts: 295941
  • stats Total Topics: 20228
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything