collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Female Nisuts  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
Female Nisuts
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:52 am »
I was looking at the king list on kemet.org Why has Hapshetsut captured popular imagination when there are lots of others? Is it any better in academic writings?
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
Re: Female Nisuts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:11 am »
I guess it has to do with the fact that we know far more about Hapshetsut than we know about other female rulers.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:28:45 pm »
My theory on the whole Hatshepsut fascination is that we can blame 19th-century French nationalism.  They conflated her with their Joan of Arc nationalist mythology.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Menekh

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:53:05 pm »
Hotep. She also has a beautiful temple monument, and that period also has Djehutymose III and some important military campaigns.
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »
Hotep!

There is far more information on Hatshepsut and on Cleopatra than on Merneith, or Sobekneferu (I omit Nefertiti and Nefertari only because they were not regnant women, but were consorts/Great Wives. There are not that many others, and I think scholarly opinion is a bit divided on the two I mentioned (not sure of the current acceptance as to whether or not Nitokris is considered.

I am still awaiting a movie (and a really truly GOOD movie) about Hatshepsut-she deserves at least one, right?

Even though they were not actually crowned, the Gods' Wives of Amun rate some more popular attention as well, imho.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline ThothIsWise

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »
There is very little information on other female Nisuts. There's debate about whether MerytNit (Merneith) and Nithotep (Neithhotep) served as regents or truly Kings. MerytNit had both a tomb and a cenotaph in the manner of the Kings of the first Dynasty, and Nithotep's tomb was MUCH larger than Narmer's (her presumed husband). I have found very little info on Khentkawes I or II, who again may or may not have ruled in their own right.

Interestingly, female rulers seem to come to power immediately before a major change. Nitoqrit (6th Dynasty), if she existed, was the last ruler of the Old Kingdom. Sobekneferu (12th Dynasty) was the last ruler of the Middle Kingdom. Ahhotep (who was not a Nisut, but a powerful Queen and may have been a sort of Regent for Ahmose) helped bring about the New Kingdom.

Hatshepsut is popular because of the greater information and number of artifacts, to the point where quite a few books and articles mention her as the ONLY known female Nisut (or only one other than Cleopatra), which is flagrantly not true.
~Djehuty Is Wise~

Also intrigued by Set, Wepwawet, Nit, Nekhbet, Wadjet, and Amunet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285882
  • stats Total Topics: 19379
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217