Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: How Do We Put Ma'at Into Action?  (Read 2389 times)

How Do We Put Ma'at Into Action?
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:50 am »
Give me some examples of what we mean by putting Ma'at into action in the World. What are the things we do in those regards?
Akins

Offline Sageling

• Remetj
Re: How Do We Put Ma'at Into Action?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:04 am »
Twofold approach (I seem to like those :D). 1) Do more "Ma'at"y things. 2) Take a ma'at-centered approach to viewing the activities I alreay do.

I do a lot of volunteer work. I help out at my local public library, I'm the program coordinator for the Unitarian Univeralist fellowship around these parts, and I volunteer at a local nature center that brings in elementary kids to explore and learn about nature. In general, giving gifts of my time and expertise to my community is absolutely a way for me to uphold "good ma'at." Specifically, they also give me ways to connect with individual Netjeru (Seshat in the library, Djehuty and every mother Netjeret with the children) which is itself something that feeds my ka... which is in turn a way to propogate ma'at in my life.

Now is a good time to point out that ma'at isn't just "good stuff and harmony" but... well, universal cause and effect. Good and evil can exist in ma'at since ma'at is just natural consequences of our actions. I tend to view ma'at as dynamic, so a balance built on multiple moving parts like juggling balls. Our participation affects ma'at and ma'at's constant dance affects us, but it's not exactly a conscious decision? Like I can't wake up and go GONNA BE MA'AT-TASTIC TODAY because everything I do is inherently part of ma'at. I can choose to be aware of ma'at and try to do things that will produce positive results... or I can pretend my actions exist in a void. One of those is good for me, the other not so much.
Blog|Tumblr
--
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:05:48 pm »
em hotep Akins

Personally, I think that personal conduct is important.

Every kind of charity work you do, anything at all that brings more peace, truth and justice into this world, is something that puts Ma'at into action.

But Ma'at is not a one-hour appointment you schedule once a week. Putting the concept of Ma'at into action: this requires that you adhere to it, first and foremost. And 24/7.
As Raheri put in in another thread: "being a calm, controlled, modest, wise, gentle, and socially active person."
(It's right at the start of the "42 purifications" thread, in the section of the board below this one - highly recommended reading, if you haven't already)

Living according to Ma'at doesn't require you to be monk or a hero. It just requires you to be a decent human being.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:23:12 am »
Quote from: Maen
Living according to Ma'at doesn't require you to be monk or a hero. It just requires you to be a decent human being.

I love this. :) :) :)

Ma'at is always in action - it's not really something we have any control over. Ma'at occurs whether we take action, or not.

I try to influence the world around me in a positive way every day.  From letting people merge easily onto the highway, to smiling and saying "good morning" to everyone I meet on my way in to the office. Picking up litter and disposing of it properly, returning stray shopping carts in the grocery store parking lot.  One of my small kindnesses may inspire somebody else to do the same, who inspires another, and so on.  

Ma'at works just the same in the other direction if a person were to approach life in a surly, negative manner.  Bad moods are just as contagious as good ones, and the community benefits so much more when everyone is considerate, cooperative, and kind.  So I figure as long as I have a choice, the ma'at I try to influence will be constructive.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

* Most Recent Topics

topic India and Egypt
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
MauMau981
January 25, 2021, 08:47:36 pm
topic Sekhmet face masks
MauMau981
January 25, 2021, 08:40:41 pm
topic What is your favorite story?
MauMau981