collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Afterlife: Your Beliefs  (Read 2494 times)

The Afterlife: Your Beliefs
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »
What do you think happens to us when we die, as Kemetics?
Akins

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: The Afterlife: Your Beliefs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:14 am »
I believe that people go to the afterlife that they choose to go to, and that souls may inhabit multiple 'afterlife locations' or else are able to move between locations at will.

I believe that people's kas are gathered by Yinepu or Nebthet initially. Amunet provides them cool water, something familiar in such a foreign plane of being. Yinepu guides the ka to the Hall of Two Truths, where the heart is weighed. if the person passes judgement, Wesir welcomes them to the field of reeds, the afterlife where the Lord of the West, Wesir, provides for all akhu and rules over them as their Good King.

I think akhu who want to be in, say, Christian heaven will go there, but they will also be able to cross over somehow to visit those in the Field of Reeds/Duat.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:41 am »
My beliefs are very similar to what Taryt just described.

I don't believe that there's a rigid system of 'you will go here' or 'this is what will happen'. I think that people will pass on to the afterlife that they believe in, or if they wish, reincarnate.
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Aqatisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »
Taryt explained it well, our beliefs are very alike.

I like to think of separate afterlives as being similar to separate countries, all existing within the same world/plane/etc. I'm sure with a spiritual "passport" there's no reason you can't visit them all, or have a summer house in a different location. :P

Aqatisenu - "Two use me correctly"
Sat Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Yinepu-Wepwawet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert

Self-Care Sekhmet Keeper

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:18:27 am »
Quote from: Akins
What do you think happens to us when we die, as Kemetics?

Actually, I have no idea. It's difficult enough to grasp what it means to be alive. I cannot even begin to imagine what it feels like to be dead.

I have an Akhu shrine, and I talk to and give offerings to my Akhu. That is about mourning and coming to terms with their deaths. And about keeping memories alive, because no one is really gone from this world as long as they are remembered in some form. I believe that the dead remain on this earth in some form, and keep influencing the present and their descendants.

I don't bother about the Duat so much, however. I'll learn what it's like early enough. And if it doesn't exist, and I'll just die and be gone, well, one more reason to focus on life!

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Aqatisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 04:29:20 am »
I agree a lot, Maen. I guess I should have clarified that what I said in my last post is what I think will happen if there's a proper afterlife the way we understand it, but honestly I'm not entirely sure myself.

What you said reminded me of part of a hymn from the "pessimistic literature" of the middle kingdom that I read in "Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt" by Rosalie David:

None come from there,
To tell us how they fare,
To tell us what they need,
To set our hearts at rest,
Until we also go where they have gone.

Therefore, be glad,
It is good to forget,
Follow your heart as long as you live!
Put myrrh on your head,
Dress in fine linen,
Anoint yourself with the genuine marvels that belong to a god.

Spend the day happily!
Do not weary of it!
Lo, none is allowed to take goods with him,
Lo, none who has departed can come back again!
Aqatisenu - "Two use me correctly"
Sat Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Yinepu-Wepwawet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert

Self-Care Sekhmet Keeper

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 07:20:28 am »
...see, this is why I love ancient Egyptian texts so much:
they prove that people are basically the same throughout history.

I couldn't put it into better words than that hymn.

We work with the metaphors and ideas we have of the Afterlife, but until we die ourselves, we will not know for sure. So, for me there's no reason to put too much time and effort into trying to know.
Now I'm going to log off and bake cookies for Christmas time. And I'll put one aside for the Akhu.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
I think the soul survives but I don't know what determines the type of place it goes. I will be learning more about the Kemetic beliefs soon.
[color:purple]  All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.[/color]

Offline Pawabitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:10 am »
What interestig topic. First: I agree to everything that has been said so far. We can't know until it's our time.

But I have pretty clear thoughts of the system behind it by now. I'v read about, in a way studied different believes of what happens during death and after. Of course, one of my favourites is the thesis you just vanish, no brain, no thought, no life, you've forgotten you actually excisted.
Still, I don't like it, because I believe too much in equivalence. If death would be without meaning, so would life.

Let's just say that there are many cultures where it's common knowledge there are ways to communicate with the dead. Simply, you can ask them what it's like.
There I like the thesis of a multitude of realms, because there is a part of your soul/ka/self that stays close to this realm. It has many names, that realm of those spirits, I could make a whole thread on it's own if I'd point out the many ways and kinds, so let's just agree that this, too, is something found everywhere on this world.
I believe though that this essence of you that lasts to guide or plague the living is but one part of it all, or rather it's face within the realm of the spirits. In a way I believe your ka, once it is free of the body, like netjer has names, and depending on how and where you call it the aspect you see is different and yet the same.

Senebty
Marukay
Sa Wesir her Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Sekhmet-Mut

Beware the raging green jql man! (inspired by Tuwerherbastmut )

~I'll stick to the words I said, not to the meaning some want them to hold~

Offline Ikhet

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 12:19:00 am »
No one has ever came back from that country to tell us. The afterlife is to difficult to comprehend as a result. Trying to Comprehend it will only lead to a Antinomy (Contradictory results from the same premises)
Ikhet-itw Sa Yinepu her Ptah Mery Heru-ur

"Let me be your song"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300145
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955